|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What prediction allows Claudius to not worry about Agrippinilla?
2. How does Bardanes meet his end?
3. How does Corbulo take it too far by the Rhine?
4. What causes a rivalry between Narcissus, Pallas and Callistus?
5. How does Vitellius die?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Claudius' view of religion?
2. What are the usual feelings about a solar eclipse by the public? How does Claudius get the populace to feel differently about it?
3. What is the invisible barrier between Claudius and the Senate, and how does it come about?
4. How does Silius react to Claudius when they meet for his trial? Does Silius show malicious intent in his acts or as a victim of Messalina?
5. As Claudius presides over the trials of Messalina's adulterers and traitors at the wedding party, Messalina writes him three letters. Describe these letters and how it shows Messalina's true character.
6. Of the five additional honors the Senate gives Claudius for his victory in Britain, describe two of them and explain why he is chosen to have these honors.
7. How do the Senate and people react to Messalina and Claudius' separation?
8. What is the fate of the British isle now that the Romans have conquered it?
9. How are the Romans able to surprise the Britains in the last battle to Colchester? What maneuvers do they take that seem impossible?
10. Why does Claudius seem to favor Nero above Britannicus? What is his true plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the prophecy of the Jewish Messiah? Why would King Herod believe he is the one? What contributing factors lend him to such a belief?
Essay Topic 2
Write about friendship between the characters in "Claudius the God." Who shows true friendship and how do they show it? Who is involved in false friendships and why do they involve themselves in such friendships? How does the character show that he/ she is not a good friend after all?
Essay Topic 3
What is the role of the emperor versus the role of the adviser? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each role? Cite examples from the book to show the pros and cons of each position.
This section contains 1,440 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)