|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Claudius' fourteenth year as emperor, what does Barbillus prophecy?
2. What helps the British design their fortification?
3. What causes a disagreement between Claudius and the generals?
4. Why are the chariots ineffective in the Colchester battle for the Britons?
5. Why does Messalina poison Vinicius?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Silius react to Claudius when they meet for his trial? Does Silius show malicious intent in his acts or as a victim of Messalina?
2. What are the usual feelings about a solar eclipse by the public? How does Claudius get the populace to feel differently about it?
3. According to Claudius, what is the most important reason to conquer the British isles? What does it give to the Roman Empire above other commodities?
4. Why does Claudius call for support from the palace guards? What about them does he trust above others?
5. As Claudius presides over the trials of Messalina's adulterers and traitors at the wedding party, Messalina writes him three letters. Describe these letters and how it shows Messalina's true character.
6. How does Agrippinilla give power into Nero's hands? How does Claudius react to this?
7. How might reinstating Mithridater to the Armenian throne help quell the alliance forming in the Near East?
8. How are the Romans able to surprise the Britains in the last battle to Colchester? What maneuvers do they take that seem impossible?
9. What punishments does the court in Hell consider for Claudius?
10. Why does Claudius seem to favor Nero above Britannicus? What is his true plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare Claudius' reign as he sees it to how others may see him. What is the same and what is different?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the side story of the Near East from the time Herod the Agrippa becomes King of the Jews to the time Claudius ends their story within his autobiography. Then, discuss the purpose of mentioning King Herod's story in Claudius' autobiography.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the politics between the emperor and the Senate. How does each control the other? What is the purpose of each? How do they play political games with each other, and why?
This section contains 1,402 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)