|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What causes a disagreement between Claudius and the generals?
2. Of the following, which is NOT a reform that Claudius plans for the government?
3. What is Messalina's plan as soon as the guards come to arrest the wedding party?
4. Who does Asiaticus believe instigates his trial?
5. What plan does Britannicus present to Claudius?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Calpurnia show her loyalty to Claudius?
2. What is the fate of the British isle now that the Romans have conquered it?
3. How do rumors that Lucius is protected by double cobras come about?
4. Why does Claudius call for support from the palace guards? What about them does he trust above others?
5. What deceit does Messalina play on Claudius and his army commander while Claudius is in Britain?
6. How do the Senate and people react to Messalina and Claudius' separation?
7. Why does Claudius seem to favor Nero above Britannicus? What is his true plan?
8. What punishments does the court in Hell consider for Claudius?
9. Of the five additional honors the Senate gives Claudius for his victory in Britain, describe two of them and explain why he is chosen to have these honors.
10. What are the gods' opinions of Claudius as they confer on his deity?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Herod states that he is still an "uncivlized Edomite at heart" and it is a privilege to learn from a Roman matriarch, Claudius Antonia. Write an essay explaining why Herod might feel this way despite being raised in Rome since childhood.
Essay Topic 2
What is the prophecy of the Jewish Messiah? Why would King Herod believe he is the one? What contributing factors lend him to such a belief?
Essay Topic 3
Write about Britannicus' fate to die by Nero. Is it the prophecy? Is it because Claudius never gave him a chance? Did Britannicus have a chance to fight against Nero? How so?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)