|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Bericus run to for help?
2. What new holiday does Claudius add to the calendar?
3. What do the Alexandrians offer to build in honor of Claudius that most excites him?
4. Why does Vitellius write to Claudius?
5. What causes Alexandrians to celebrate under Caligula's rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. Messalina is suspicious of Lesbia. What evidence does Messalina have against Lesbia?
2. Why is the title "Protector of the People" important to Claudius?
3. How does Aristobulus revenge his brother Herod?
4. What is the catalyst that causes Claudius to wage war on Britain?
5. Although Silas helps Herod many times over, how does Silas depend on Herod?
6. Good friends with Caligula, what causes Herod to become hesitant of Caligula's rule?
7. What is Herod's advice to the Senate on what to do after Caligula's assassination?
8. How does Claudius frighten the corn factors into giving him a loan of a million gold pieces?
9. What causes the governor of the prison to distrust Herod?
10. How does Claudius show that his power is beginning to affect him while in Ostia?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the prophecy of the Jewish Messiah? Why would King Herod believe he is the one? What contributing factors lend him to such a belief?
Essay Topic 2
What is the role of the emperor versus the role of the adviser? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each role? Cite examples from the book to show the pros and cons of each position.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Messalina and Agrippinilla's characters. How are they the same and different in their relationships toward Claudius, their children, and the people?
This section contains 1,147 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)