|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What act does Caligula attempt that angers many Jews?
2. On what condition will the Alabarch give Herod a loan?
3. Why does Claudius get angry at the magistrate of Ostia?
4. Who helps restore order amongst the Roman soldiers at the Rhine?
5. What causes Alexandrians to celebrate under Caligula's rule?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Flaccus rationalize his need for Herod's advice? How does this resemble how Herod feels about himself? What does this say about the importance of family history?
2. How does Claudius frighten the corn factors into giving him a loan of a million gold pieces?
3. What causes the governor of the prison to distrust Herod?
4. How does Herod react to Caligula's assassination? How does he behave with Caligula's body and to the new emperor?
5. Why is the title "Protector of the People" important to Claudius?
6. What is Claudius' intention when he brings up his past reputation of being the fool and imbecile to the Senate the eve of Scribonianus' rebellion?
7. When both Alexandrian Greeks and Jews send envoys to Claudius to gain his favor, how does Claudius react?
8. According to Claudius, describe the class of men that Herod the Agrippa best fits into.
9. What is the catalyst that causes Claudius to wage war on Britain?
10. Where does Herod run to after running from Antipas? Why does Flaccus welcome Herod in?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the role of the emperor versus the role of the adviser? What are the benefits and drawbacks of each role? Cite examples from the book to show the pros and cons of each position.
Essay Topic 2
According to Claudius, what is the purpose of the book, and does it achieve its goal? In what ways does it achieve its goal? If it does not, what is missing? What does it achieve?
Essay Topic 3
Herod states that he is still an "uncivlized Edomite at heart" and it is a privilege to learn from a Roman matriarch, Claudius Antonia. Write an essay explaining why Herod might feel this way despite being raised in Rome since childhood.
This section contains 1,273 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)