|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Claudius end up in Hell?
(a) The gods decide not to deify him and send him there.
(b) Messalina pleads with the gods that it is a mistake if they deify him.
(c) Hell's angels call on to the angels of heaven and tell them he is not a god.
(d) Claudius shows anger at the gods and is subsequently banished into Hell.
2. What becomes of Claudius in Hell?
(a) He resides in court trials.
(b) He keeps court records in Hell.
(c) He rolls dice forever in a bottomless cup.
(d) He becomes Messalina's slave.
3. What literary innovation does Claudius suggest to the Senate?
(a) To add 3 letters to the alphabet.
(b) To add a list of words he has created.
(d) To create a book of all the words in the Latin language.
4. What does the reader discover about young Pompey?
(a) He is gay.
(b) He is in love with Messalina.
(c) He is unable to have children.
(d) He is illiterate.
5. How does the wedding party of Messalina and Silius know to run before the guards arrive?
(a) Vettius warns them from atop a tree.
(b) By the trampling noise of the officers' feet.
(c) Pallus sends a messenger ahead of the guards to warn everyone.
(d) Barbillus predicted their coming.
6. What prediction allows Claudius to not worry about Agrippinilla?
(a) His son will rise up and restore the Republic.
(b) Claudius will die a bachelor.
(c) Nero will kill his mother.
(d) Claudius will die a natural death.
7. How does Corbulo take it too far by the Rhine?
(a) Corbulo enters the Chaucians region.
(b) Corbulo withholds corn from his troops as punishment.
(c) Corbulo dismisses Galba due to a personal insult.
(d) Corbulo attacks the Chattians without word from Claudius.
8. What happens to Rome after Nero dies?
(a) The Britains build their own empire.
(b) Anarchy and civil war.
(c) The restoration of the Republic.
(d) The Kings of the Near East take over the empire.
9. Who orders Messalina to be executed?
(a) A high consul.
10. What proof does Claudius see that shows Messalina's deception?
(a) Unwarranted documents showing her orders for the privy purse and public stores.
(b) Her lying eyes when she says she loves him.
(c) Silius' new house from Messalina with Claudius' heirlooms.
(d) A prepared speech to the Senate claiming a restoration of the Republic.
11. Why does Narcissus keep the truth of Messalina from Claudius?
(a) He is as guilty as all the other men she sleeps with.
(b) He does not believe in meddling.
(c) He wants to spare Claudius' feelings.
(d) He thought Claudius deserved it.
12. Why does Claudius start rumors that Britannicus is epileptic?
(a) Because he hates Britannicus.
(b) Britannicus started rumors about Claudius' impotence.
(c) So the populace will focus on Nero.
(d) So Britannicus will find a true love and not one who wants his potential power.
13. What is the only thing Umbonius sells at his public auction?
(a) His Corinthian goods.
(b) A staff Claudius gave him.
(d) His Senatorial robes.
14. How does Narcissus protect Claudius from Messalina's cunning ways?
(a) He confiscates her letters to Claudius and replies to them himself.
(b) He prohibits her from seeing him.
(c) He advises Claudius to say at his home so Messalina cannot find him.
(d) He begs Claudius to not preside over her trial and let a high consul do it.
15. What plan does Britannicus present to Claudius?
(a) Restore the Republic the day before Claudius dies.
(b) Give him a chance at schooling and fight Nero.
(c) Assassinate Agrippinilla and Nero.
(d) Exile him so he may restore the Republic after Nero dies.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what acts is Claudius tried when in Hell?
2. What sight makes Claudius happy when he reaches heaven?
3. What happens when Claudius begins his speech to the soldiers?
4. What trick does Posides play on the British guards at the copse?
5. Who does Asiaticus believe instigates his trial?
This section contains 705 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)