|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In his poem, what does Claudius believe is his fault as an emperor?
(a) He is too in love.
(b) He is too irresponsible.
(c) He is too benevolent.
(d) He is too idiotic.
2. How does Claudius react to knowing the Britons worship him as a God?
(a) He wants this to continue and spread amongst the other provinces.
(b) He believes he is becoming a God.
(c) He is humble and sends a messenger to stop them.
(d) He thinks they are foolish and not worth dealing with.
3. Who is a possible suspect in the first account of Claudius' death?
(a) Halotus, his taster.
(d) The cook.
4. What happens when Claudius begins his speech to the soldiers?
(a) He sees an eagle flying north.
(b) An anonymous soldier cries out, "Ignoramus!"
(c) An owl drops dirt on his shoulder.
(d) He nearly breaks down, then speaks from his heart.
5. What trick does Posides play on the British guards at the copse?
(a) He uses a woman's voice to mimic the Hawthorne Queen.
(b) He pretends to be a Swamp Monster.
(c) He rigs a fake Heron King.
(d) He lets loose one of his own horses to divert the guards away.
6. Who orders Messalina to be executed?
(d) A high consul.
7. In Claudius' fourteenth year as emperor, what does Barbillus prophecy?
(a) Nero will attempt assassination.
(b) Nero will kill Britannicus.
(c) Agrippinilla will attempt assassination.
(d) Claudius will die in a month.
8. Why does Claudius start rumors that Britannicus is epileptic?
(a) Because he hates Britannicus.
(b) So Britannicus will find a true love and not one who wants his potential power.
(c) So the populace will focus on Nero.
(d) Britannicus started rumors about Claudius' impotence.
9. Why does Clotho kill Augurinus and Baba?
(a) For their murderous sins.
(b) To accompany Claudius on his journey.
(c) Because of incest.
(d) Claudius asks him to.
10. How do the people accept Nero as the succeeding emperor after Claudius?
(a) With surprise.
(d) With fear.
11. Why does the crowd from the marketplace follow Asinius to the palace?
(a) Asinius promises gold to those who follow him.
(b) To strike against the emperor.
(c) To revolt with Asinius.
(d) For their amusement.
12. Of the following, which is NOT a reform that Claudius plans for the government?
(a) Form a separate judicial branch of government.
(b) Organize Cabinets of consuls that he creates.
(c) Change Senatorial terms to five years.
(d) Establish consul in chiefs for departments.
13. What do Messalina and Claudius do to cheat Barbillus' supposed prophecy about Messalina?
(a) They have another child.
(b) Claudius purposefully cheats on Messalina.
(c) Messalina purposefully cheats on Claudius.
(d) They divorce.
14. What ritual does Claudius perform the midnight before battle?
(a) Prays to Athena.
(b) Prays to Neptune.
(c) Prays to Egeria.
(d) Prays to Venus.
15. How does Corbulo take it too far by the Rhine?
(a) Corbulo attacks the Chattians without word from Claudius.
(b) Corbulo enters the Chaucians region.
(c) Corbulo dismisses Galba due to a personal insult.
(d) Corbulo withholds corn from his troops as punishment.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tries to persuade Claudius to adopt Lucius Domitius?
2. What plan does Britannicus present to Claudius?
3. What is the purpose of the Saecular games?
4. What does Claudius do on his first triumph anniversary?
5. How is Telegonius proved a runaway slave?
This section contains 627 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)