|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who saves Geta in battle?
2. How does Herod cheat his brother, Aristobulus?
(a) He takes his brother's wife for himself.
(b) He lies about investment profits and takes the bulk for himself.
(c) He borrows from creditors in Aristobulus' name.
(d) Herod keeps his brother's money that he was supposed to invest.
3. What is the significance of an owl in the prison with Herod?
(a) An owl seen outside of nighttime prophecies bad luck.
(b) The owl is a sign of present danger.
(c) The owl is a messenger of Caligula's.
(d) It puts dirt on Herod's shoulder and signifies good luck.
4. Why does Claudius get angry at the magistrate of Ostia?
(a) The magistrate blames Claudius for the predicted famine.
(b) The magistrate does not greet Claudius when he arrives.
(c) Claudius blames the magistrate for the slow progress of the project.
(d) The magistrate writes a letter of complaint about the city project.
5. What do the Alexandrians do for Claudius and Messalina?
(a) Build a temple in their honor.
(b) Mint a coin with both their profiles.
(c) Build them each a gold statue.
(d) Hold a 3-day festival for their birthdays.
6. What is Herod's last advice to Claudius at Herod's farewell party?
(a) Don't forget about the people.
(b) To keep his enemies close.
(c) Beware of too much flattery.
(d) Not to trust anyone.
7. What is Claudius known as amongst the royal family?
(a) The punisher.
(b) The naive.
(c) The honest.
(d) The fool.
8. Who helps restore order amongst the Roman soldiers at the Rhine?
9. How does Claudius make up for the retraction of Caligula's holidays?
(a) Hosting Sportulas.
(b) Hosting banquets in a different region each month.
(c) By adding dozens of his own holidays.
(d) Cutting the taxes that paid for the holidays.
10. What dream does Narcissus have about Claudius?
(a) Silanus will attempt to murder Claudius.
(b) Claudius is going to lose his title of emperor.
(c) Messalina is committing adultery.
(d) Silanus will attempt to murder Messalina.
11. What causes Herod to arrest Silas?
(a) Silas does not know how to hold his tongue.
(b) Silas lies to Herod.
(c) Silas is caught with Cypros.
(d) Silas purposefully insults Herod's guests.
12. What brings Herod to Bashan?
(a) Bashan is desolate, where his creditors will not find him.
(b) His Uncle Philip lives there and assists him for a while.
(c) Caligula names him the ruler under his dictatorship.
(d) Herod must hide away from Tiberius.
13. What does Claudius do to Caligula's statues?
(a) Melts them into coins.
(b) Refurbishes them with Augustus' head.
(c) Refurbishes them with his own head.
(d) Stores them in a warehouse.
14. What is the consensus of the people when Caligula dies?
(a) They fear Caligula's lapdogs' struggle for power.
(b) They are generally apathetic to politics.
(c) They are tearful that he is gone.
(d) They are happy his tyranny is at an end.
15. How does Gemullus confirm Tiberius' suspicions of treasonous intentions?
(a) Gemullus hears Caligula collaborating with Antonia.
(b) Gemullus hears Caligula and Herod planning an assassination attempt.
(c) Gemullus overhears about a P.O.T. loan.
(d) Gemullus hears only good words from Herod about Tiberius.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drives Herod from his post as a magistrate?
2. Who does Antonia marry?
3. How do the lawyers accept Claudius into the court system?
4. What is Lupus' role in restoring the Republic?
5. Who is the head conspirator of Caligula's assassination?
This section contains 624 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)