|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Morden criticize Miss Howe?
2. What errand does Miss Howe have in London, which means she will be able to visit Clarissa?
3. What weapons do Lovelace and Morden use to fight?
4. What does Arabella say in her letter that arrived after Clarissa's death?
5. When Lovelace goes to Clarissa's lodgings and she is not there, who does Lovelace leave to spy on her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Marriage in the eighteenth century (especially for wealthy people) was seen both as a relationship that might begin in romance and as a legal and financial contract. Discuss three marriages in this novel in terms of their romantic and financial aspects.
Essay Topic 2
Clarissa writes constantly in this novel. What relationship does the act of writing have to Clarissa's identity? Discuss at least two moments in the novel when Clarissa's writing habit is commented on by herself or by someone else. Why is Clarissa so addicted to writing, and what effect does this have on the response of the reader to this character?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any one of the major characters (Clarissa, Lovelace, Belford or Miss Howe). Does the character change during the novel? Why or why not? Does the way the other characters view the character you chose match the way you view the character? Why or why not?
This section contains 314 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)