|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clarissa instruct Belford to be friends with?
2. What language was Clarissa learning before her death?
3. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
4. What does Arabella say in her letter that arrived after Clarissa's death?
5. What does Lovelace think about Clarissa's broken heart?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of will power is important in "Clarissa." Discuss the role of will power in relationship to (a) Clarissa, (b) Lovelace, and (c) any one of the other characters. Be sure to describe what kinds of goals each of these characters wants to achieve and how they demonstrate (or do not demonstrate) the ability to achieve their will.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Widow Lovick and Widow Sinclair. Why is the status of each woman as a widow important?
Essay Topic 3
There are many examples of people having a hard time telling whether a person or object in front of them is what it appears to be. What do you think Richardson's message about deception is? Support your answer with three examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,028 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)