|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
2. What does Mrs. Lovick tell Lovelace gives Clarissa the strength to leave the house?
3. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
4. Who does Clarissa specifically forbid to wear mourning clothes?
5. What is Clarissa's coffin like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Mrs. Harlowe and Mrs. Howe. How do their styles of parenting differ?
Essay Topic 2
There are many examples of people having a hard time telling whether a person or object in front of them is what it appears to be. What do you think Richardson's message about deception is? Support your answer with three examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the ideals of masculinity and femininity as they are revealed in "Clarissa," and evaluate at least one female and one male character in terms of the way they fulfill their role as a man or woman.
This section contains 1,007 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)