|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Colonel Morden hide from Clarissa?
2. What does Mrs. Lovick tell Lovelace gives Clarissa the strength to leave the house?
3. What are Lovelace's last words?
4. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
5. How does Lovelace respond when the dying Clarissa forgives him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the ideals of masculinity and femininity as they are revealed in "Clarissa," and evaluate at least one female and one male character in terms of the way they fulfill their role as a man or woman.
Essay Topic 2
What message do you think "Clarissa" has about the right way to run a family, if any? What advice do you think a parent in the eighteenth-century might have taken from this novel for running their own family?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any one of the major characters (Clarissa, Lovelace, Belford or Miss Howe). Does the character change during the novel? Why or why not? Does the way the other characters view the character you chose match the way you view the character? Why or why not?
This section contains 334 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)