|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What damaging fact does Mr. Brand report to Clarissa's family?
2. Who does James ask Belford to turn the executorship over to?
3. When Lovelace reads Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house," why is he happy?
4. Which family member recommends to Clarissa to stop seeing Belford, in hopes that she might be able to reconcile with the rest of the family if she does?
5. Who mocks Belford and Belton while Belton is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast three of the places Clarissa lives during the book. How does each setting reflect the people who live in it and Clarissa's situation at the time she lives there?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in eighteenth-century society is important in understanding what happens to Clarissa. Analyze how the social norms for young women determine what options are available to Clarissa at each point in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Analyze the techniques Richardson uses to develop characterization in "Clarissa." Using examples from any character, discuss how Richardson develops his characters through (a) their own representation of themselves in their own writing, (b) reports of what the characters do and say, and (c) what other characters say about them. What are the differences among these three methods of representing characters, in terms of how much weight each kind of evidence has?
This section contains 335 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)