Final Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Belford have to leave Clarissa's neighborhood to visit Belton?
2. Who does Clarissa especially want to prevent from viewing her body?
3. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
4. What do James and Arabella think causes their unhappiness in marriage?
5. What does Hickman tell Belford is causing Miss Howe to delay her marriage to Hickman?
Although the form of an epistolary novel (a novel written in letters) is fairly unusual today, it was one of the most common ways for early novels to be written. Discuss the use of the epistolary form in "Clarissa." Discuss (a) the way letters are used to develop characterization, (b) the way epistolary form allows the author to create suspense, and (c) the way epistolary form allows readers to relate to characters.
Compare and contrast three of the places Clarissa lives during the book. How does each setting reflect the people who live in it and Clarissa's situation at the time she lives there?
There are many examples of people having a hard time telling whether a person or object in front of them is what it appears to be. What do you think Richardson's message about deception is? Support your answer with three examples from the novel.
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)