|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mrs. Lovick tell Lovelace gives Clarissa the strength to leave the house?
2. What does Brand say about Belford's relationship with Clarissa?
3. What does Clarissa do with her coffin while she's still alive?
4. What damaging fact does Mr. Brand report to Clarissa's family?
5. What does Morden bring Clarissa?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in eighteenth-century society is important in understanding what happens to Clarissa. Analyze how the social norms for young women determine what options are available to Clarissa at each point in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Give three examples of things that happen to Clarissa's body that are symbolic of the things that are happening to her life. Explain the symbolism in each case.
Essay Topic 3
The theme of will power is important in "Clarissa." Discuss the role of will power in relationship to (a) Clarissa, (b) Lovelace, and (c) any one of the other characters. Be sure to describe what kinds of goals each of these characters wants to achieve and how they demonstrate (or do not demonstrate) the ability to achieve their will.
This section contains 1,073 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)