|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the Belfords' housekeeper?
2. Who does Clarissa especially want to prevent from viewing her body?
3. Who stops Lovelace and Morden from fighting?
4. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
5. What activity does the apothecary recommend Clarissa do less of to improve her health?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of will power is important in "Clarissa." Discuss the role of will power in relationship to (a) Clarissa, (b) Lovelace, and (c) any one of the other characters. Be sure to describe what kinds of goals each of these characters wants to achieve and how they demonstrate (or do not demonstrate) the ability to achieve their will.
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of irony in "Clarissa," including verbal irony, dramatic irony and situational irony. Give an example of each kind of irony and discuss its effect on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
What message do you think "Clarissa" has about the right way to run a family, if any? What advice do you think a parent in the eighteenth-century might have taken from this novel for running their own family?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)