|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which members of Clarissa's family complain about her bequests to Dolly and Mrs. Norton?
2. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
3. Who does Clarissa especially want to prevent from viewing her body?
4. Why does Belford beg Lovelace not to visit Clarissa?
5. What do the Hickmans name their daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Although the form of an epistolary novel (a novel written in letters) is fairly unusual today, it was one of the most common ways for early novels to be written. Discuss the use of the epistolary form in "Clarissa." Discuss (a) the way letters are used to develop characterization, (b) the way epistolary form allows the author to create suspense, and (c) the way epistolary form allows readers to relate to characters.
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in eighteenth-century society is important in understanding what happens to Clarissa. Analyze how the social norms for young women determine what options are available to Clarissa at each point in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Widow Lovick and Widow Sinclair. Why is the status of each woman as a widow important?
This section contains 264 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)