|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Belford have to leave Clarissa's neighborhood to visit Belton?
2. Who does Clarissa especially want to prevent from viewing her body?
3. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
4. What do James and Arabella think causes their unhappiness in marriage?
5. What does Hickman tell Belford is causing Miss Howe to delay her marriage to Hickman?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast all of the death scenes in the novel. Considering just the death scenes, what message do you think the novel has for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the techniques Richardson uses to develop characterization in "Clarissa." Using examples from any character, discuss how Richardson develops his characters through (a) their own representation of themselves in their own writing, (b) reports of what the characters do and say, and (c) what other characters say about them. What are the differences among these three methods of representing characters, in terms of how much weight each kind of evidence has?
Essay Topic 3
Marriage in the eighteenth century (especially for wealthy people) was seen both as a relationship that might begin in romance and as a legal and financial contract. Discuss three marriages in this novel in terms of their romantic and financial aspects.
This section contains 1,060 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)