|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Morden feel after the duel?
2. Where does Clarissa want to be buried?
3. When most of Clarissa's family agrees to let Mrs. Norton go to visit Clarissa while she is dying, which member of the family holds out?
4. What does Belford tell Morden when Morden alerts him that James intends to ask him to give up his executorship?
5. What are Lovelace's last words?
Essay Topic 1
Choose any one of the major characters (Clarissa, Lovelace, Belford or Miss Howe). Does the character change during the novel? Why or why not? Does the way the other characters view the character you chose match the way you view the character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in eighteenth-century society is important in understanding what happens to Clarissa. Analyze how the social norms for young women determine what options are available to Clarissa at each point in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
There are many examples of people having a hard time telling whether a person or object in front of them is what it appears to be. What do you think Richardson's message about deception is? Support your answer with three examples from the novel.
This section contains 1,037 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)