|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clarissa want copies of Lovelace's letters to Belford?
2. Who does James ask Belford to turn the executorship over to?
3. What errand does Miss Howe have in London, which means she will be able to visit Clarissa?
4. What weapons do Lovelace and Morden use to fight?
5. To whom does Clarissa want her picture of Miss Howe to be given?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give three examples of things that happen to Clarissa's body that are symbolic of the things that are happening to her life. Explain the symbolism in each case.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the treatment of prostitutes in "Clarissa." How do other characters, both male and female, regard the prostitutes? What kind of character do Polly and Sally reveal? Are there any sympathetic or positive representations of prostitutes in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
What message do you think "Clarissa" has about the right way to run a family, if any? What advice do you think a parent in the eighteenth-century might have taken from this novel for running their own family?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)