|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When most of Clarissa's family agrees to let Mrs. Norton go to visit Clarissa while she is dying, which member of the family holds out?
2. Which adjectives best describe Miss Howe's state of mind while viewing Clarissa's corpse?
3. Who offers to adopt Clarissa as his own daughter?
4. What damaging fact does Mr. Brand report to Clarissa's family?
5. How does Lovelace respond when the dying Clarissa forgives him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast all of the death scenes in the novel. Considering just the death scenes, what message do you think the novel has for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
There is a great deal of irony in "Clarissa," including verbal irony, dramatic irony and situational irony. Give an example of each kind of irony and discuss its effect on the reader.
Essay Topic 3
The role of women in eighteenth-century society is important in understanding what happens to Clarissa. Analyze how the social norms for young women determine what options are available to Clarissa at each point in the novel.
This section contains 282 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)