|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What errand does Miss Howe have in London, which means she will be able to visit Clarissa?
2. Which family member recommends to Clarissa to stop seeing Belford, in hopes that she might be able to reconcile with the rest of the family if she does?
3. What does Clarissa do after the charges against her are dropped?
4. Who does Lovelace hope to see at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
5. When the Harlowe family is grieving Clarissa's death, what does Colonel Morden say was Clarissa's only fault?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the treatment of prostitutes in "Clarissa." How do other characters, both male and female, regard the prostitutes? What kind of character do Polly and Sally reveal? Are there any sympathetic or positive representations of prostitutes in this novel?
Essay Topic 2
Clarissa writes constantly in this novel. What relationship does the act of writing have to Clarissa's identity? Discuss at least two moments in the novel when Clarissa's writing habit is commented on by herself or by someone else. Why is Clarissa so addicted to writing, and what effect does this have on the response of the reader to this character?
Essay Topic 3
Choose any one of the major characters (Clarissa, Lovelace, Belford or Miss Howe). Does the character change during the novel? Why or why not? Does the way the other characters view the character you chose match the way you view the character? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,067 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)