|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Besides the Harlowes' servants, what other servants does Clarissa leave money to?
2. Which adjectives best describe Miss Howe's state of mind while viewing Clarissa's corpse?
3. Who is the Belfords' housekeeper?
4. To whom does Clarissa leave her miniature portrait of Miss Howe?
5. What language was Clarissa learning before her death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The theme of will power is important in "Clarissa." Discuss the role of will power in relationship to (a) Clarissa, (b) Lovelace, and (c) any one of the other characters. Be sure to describe what kinds of goals each of these characters wants to achieve and how they demonstrate (or do not demonstrate) the ability to achieve their will.
Essay Topic 2
Give three examples of things that happen to Clarissa's body that are symbolic of the things that are happening to her life. Explain the symbolism in each case.
Essay Topic 3
Although the form of an epistolary novel (a novel written in letters) is fairly unusual today, it was one of the most common ways for early novels to be written. Discuss the use of the epistolary form in "Clarissa." Discuss (a) the way letters are used to develop characterization, (b) the way epistolary form allows the author to create suspense, and (c) the way epistolary form allows readers to relate to characters.
This section contains 261 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)