|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lovelace reads Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house," why is he happy?
2. Which adjectives best describe Miss Howe's state of mind while viewing Clarissa's corpse?
3. To whom does Clarissa send the mean letters she received from her family?
4. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
5. Which adjective best describes Clarissa's behavior when discussing her death with the doctor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast all of the death scenes in the novel. Considering just the death scenes, what message do you think the novel has for the reader?
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast three of the places Clarissa lives during the book. How does each setting reflect the people who live in it and Clarissa's situation at the time she lives there?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of irony in "Clarissa," including verbal irony, dramatic irony and situational irony. Give an example of each kind of irony and discuss its effect on the reader.
This section contains 280 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)