|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lovelace talks to Hickman, he says Clarissa lets someone else court her. Who?
2. Where does Clarissa want to be buried?
3. Which adjective best describes Clarissa's behavior when discussing her death with the doctor?
4. What does Arabella say in her letter that arrived after Clarissa's death?
5. What do the Hickmans name their daughter?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1There are many examples of people having a hard time telling whether a person or object in front of them is what it appears to be. What do you think Richardson's message about deception is? Support your answer with three examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2The theme of will power is important in "Clarissa." Discuss the role of will power in relationship to (a) Clarissa, (b) Lovelace, and (c) any one of the other characters. Be sure to describe what kinds of goals each of these characters wants to achieve and how they demonstrate (or do not demonstrate) the ability to achieve their will.
Essay Topic 3Compare and contrast Widow Lovick and Widow Sinclair. Why is the status of each woman as a widow important?
This section contains 252 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)