|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clarissa's family say that they don't believe that she is very sick, what does she say will prove it?
2. When Lovelace talks to Hickman, he says Clarissa lets someone else court her. Who?
3. Why does Belford have to leave Clarissa's neighborhood to visit Belton?
4. What does Clarissa do after the charges against her are dropped?
5. Who mocks Belford and Belton while Belton is dying?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Widow Lovick and Widow Sinclair. Why is the status of each woman as a widow important?
Essay Topic 2
The theme of will power is important in "Clarissa." Discuss the role of will power in relationship to (a) Clarissa, (b) Lovelace, and (c) any one of the other characters. Be sure to describe what kinds of goals each of these characters wants to achieve and how they demonstrate (or do not demonstrate) the ability to achieve their will.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used frequently in Clarissa. Give at least two examples of foreshadowing of events that later occur. How does foreshadowing affect the reader's response to the novel?
This section contains 1,055 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)