|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who offers to adopt Clarissa as his own daughter?
2. What does Brand say about Belford's relationship with Clarissa?
3. How does Clarissa pay the doctor?
4. Why does Miss Howe say Clarissa's death makes it hard for her to marry Hickman?
5. What does Clarissa explain she meant when she said she hoped she would be able to receive Mr. Lovelace in her father's house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose any one of the major characters (Clarissa, Lovelace, Belford or Miss Howe). Does the character change during the novel? Why or why not? Does the way the other characters view the character you chose match the way you view the character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the ideals of masculinity and femininity as they are revealed in "Clarissa," and evaluate at least one female and one male character in terms of the way they fulfill their role as a man or woman.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Belford and Lovelace. Both of them are strongly effected by their relationship with Clarissa. Compare and contrast their responses to her.
This section contains 376 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)