|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Colonel Morden threaten to avenge Clarissa?
2. What do Lovelace's relatives want to give Clarissa to show their regard for her?
3. Who does Clarissa specifically forbid to wear mourning clothes?
4. When most of Clarissa's family agrees to let Mrs. Norton go to visit Clarissa while she is dying, which member of the family holds out?
5. The Harlowes tell Clarissa she must go to America for a few years before she can move back to her estate, and Clarissa agrees to go, if she does not die soon. Which state do they want her to go to?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Widow Lovick and Widow Sinclair. Why is the status of each woman as a widow important?
Essay Topic 2
Foreshadowing is used frequently in Clarissa. Give at least two examples of foreshadowing of events that later occur. How does foreshadowing affect the reader's response to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
There is a great deal of irony in "Clarissa," including verbal irony, dramatic irony and situational irony. Give an example of each kind of irony and discuss its effect on the reader.
This section contains 1,051 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)