|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
2. Why does Clarissa want copies of Lovelace's letters to Belford?
3. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
4. After Mr. Harlowe renounces his curse, what does Clarissa write to her mother to ask for?
5. Which members of Clarissa's family complain about her bequests to Dolly and Mrs. Norton?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Foreshadowing is used frequently in Clarissa. Give at least two examples of foreshadowing of events that later occur. How does foreshadowing affect the reader's response to the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Choose any one of the major characters (Clarissa, Lovelace, Belford or Miss Howe). Does the character change during the novel? Why or why not? Does the way the other characters view the character you chose match the way you view the character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Clarissa writes constantly in this novel. What relationship does the act of writing have to Clarissa's identity? Discuss at least two moments in the novel when Clarissa's writing habit is commented on by herself or by someone else. Why is Clarissa so addicted to writing, and what effect does this have on the response of the reader to this character?
This section contains 310 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)