Final Test - Hard
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Belford have to leave Clarissa's neighborhood to visit Belton?
2. Who does Clarissa especially want to prevent from viewing her body?
3. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
4. What do James and Arabella think causes their unhappiness in marriage?
5. What does Hickman tell Belford is causing Miss Howe to delay her marriage to Hickman?
Essay Topic 1
Marriage in the eighteenth century (especially for wealthy people) was seen both as a relationship that might begin in romance and as a legal and financial contract. Discuss three marriages in this novel in terms of their romantic and financial aspects.
Essay Topic 2
Choose any one of the major characters (Clarissa, Lovelace, Belford or Miss Howe). Does the character change during the novel? Why or why not? Does the way the other characters view the character you chose match the way you view the character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
There are many examples of people having a hard time telling whether a person or object in front of them is what it appears to be. What do you think Richardson's message about deception is? Support your answer with three examples from the novel.
This section contains 322 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)