|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
2. What does Clarissa say about her birthday during her illness?
3. Who refuses to go to Belton's funeral?
4. What does Hickman tell Belford is causing Miss Howe to delay her marriage to Hickman?
5. To whom does Clarissa send the mean letters she received from her family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
There are many examples of people having a hard time telling whether a person or object in front of them is what it appears to be. What do you think Richardson's message about deception is? Support your answer with three examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Mrs. Harlowe and Mrs. Howe. How do their styles of parenting differ?
Essay Topic 3
The theme of will power is important in "Clarissa." Discuss the role of will power in relationship to (a) Clarissa, (b) Lovelace, and (c) any one of the other characters. Be sure to describe what kinds of goals each of these characters wants to achieve and how they demonstrate (or do not demonstrate) the ability to achieve their will.
This section contains 318 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)