|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
2. Who does Clarissa write to, asking for help persuading her father not to force her to marry Solmes?
3. When Clarissa seems willing to marry Lovelace in order to reconcile with her family, why does that bother Lovelace?
4. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
5. Which of Lovelace's friends is pleased to learn of Clarissa's escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it is fair for Clarissa to have decided that because of the fire she will never marry Lovelace?
2. Why do you think Belford disagrees with Lovelace's determination to seduce Clarissa?
3. After Lovelace has his "debate" with the God of Love, do you believe he has really changed his intentions toward Clarissa?
4. What do you expect the provisions of Clarissa's will are like?
5. In letters 1-21, Clarissa's family tries to control her behavior. Discuss at least two of her family members and explain their motivations to behave the way they do toward her.
6. Do you think Clarissa is right to keep refusing offers of money from Lovelace and Miss Howe?
7. How does Clarissa's will continue to develop her character?
8. Why does Clarissa dislike Lovelace's party so much?
9. When Lovelace says he loves and hates Clarissa simultaneously, and can you see his point of view? Why or why not?
10. What do you think of Lovelace's repentance at this point? Does it seem real or not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast three of the places Clarissa lives during the book. How does each setting reflect the people who live in it and Clarissa's situation at the time she lives there?
Essay Topic 2
The role of women in eighteenth-century society is important in understanding what happens to Clarissa. Analyze how the social norms for young women determine what options are available to Clarissa at each point in the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Foreshadowing is used frequently in Clarissa. Give at least two examples of foreshadowing of events that later occur. How does foreshadowing affect the reader's response to the novel?
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)