|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of Lovelace's friends is pleased to learn of Clarissa's escape?
2. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
3. What does Lord M promise to do if Lovelace marries Clarissa but is a bad husband?
4. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
5. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the point of Clarissa leaving nothing to James, Arabella or Lovelace?
2. Why does Clarissa dislike Lovelace's party so much?
3. Why do you think Lovelace can not maintain his feelings of repentance?
4. How do you think Lovelace's death reflects on his character?
5. After Clarissa's ravishment, she believes she is losing her mind. Lovelace blames it on the effect of the drugs he used on her. Based on her symptoms, do you think it is the drugs or the rape that makes her act the way she does?
6. How does the meeting between Morden and Lovelace characterize all the men who are present?
7. Is Miss Howe a good friend to Clarissa? Why or why not?
8. Dolly says that if she were in Clarissa's position, she would marry Lovelace. What do you think Clarissa should do?
9. What do you expect the provisions of Clarissa's will are like?
10. How does the reaction of Lovelace's friends to Clarissa characterize Lovelace's friends?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The role of women in eighteenth-century society is important in understanding what happens to Clarissa. Analyze how the social norms for young women determine what options are available to Clarissa at each point in the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast Widow Lovick and Widow Sinclair. Why is the status of each woman as a widow important?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast Belford and Lovelace. Both of them are strongly effected by their relationship with Clarissa. Compare and contrast their responses to her.
This section contains 1,238 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)