|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
2. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
3. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
4. What makes Lovelace vomit?
5. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
Short Essay Questions
1. In letters 22-30, Clarissa is given three suggestions for getting away from her family. Lovelace offers to take her away twice, and Miss Howe tells her that she should move into her grandfather's estate, which is legally hers. Do you think Clarissa should have taken one of these choices? Why or why not, and if so, which one?
2. Is Miss Howe a good friend to Clarissa? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Lovelace is right to insist on visiting Clarissa when he believes she is dying? Why or why not?
4. When Lovelace says he loves and hates Clarissa simultaneously, and can you see his point of view? Why or why not?
5. What do you think of Lovelace's repentance at this point? Does it seem real or not?
6. Does Clarissa's challenge to debate with James change what you think of her character? Why or why not?
7. Why is Clarissa's response to Charlotte explaining why she can't marry Lovelace ironic?
8. How does Arabella's letter refusing to forgive Clarissa develop Arabella's character?
9. How do you think Lovelace's death reflects on his character?
10. Why do you think Clarissa is so concerned about the curse her father put on her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast Belford and Lovelace. Both of them are strongly effected by their relationship with Clarissa. Compare and contrast their responses to her.
Essay Topic 2
Choose any one of the major characters (Clarissa, Lovelace, Belford or Miss Howe). Does the character change during the novel? Why or why not? Does the way the other characters view the character you chose match the way you view the character? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast three of the places Clarissa lives during the book. How does each setting reflect the people who live in it and Clarissa's situation at the time she lives there?
This section contains 1,126 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)