|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clarissa instruct Belford to be friends with?
(a) The varlets.
(d) Colonel Morden.
2. After reading the letter in which Clarissa mentions going to her "father's house," what does Lovelace guess might have changed Clarissa's thinking?
(a) He thinks Belford has persuaded her.
(b) He thinks she is pregnant.
(c) He thinks Colonel Morden persuaded her.
(d) He thinks she always intended to marry him, but didn't want him to know it.
3. What does Brand say about Belford's relationship with Clarissa?
(a) That he thinks Belford is trying to convince Clarissa to leave her money to Belford.
(b) That he thinks Belford is a drug dealer.
(c) That he thinks Belford is Lovelace in disguise.
(d) That he thinks Belford gives Clarissa money.
4. What does Clarissa do after the charges against her are dropped?
(a) She runs outside and goes to see Miss Howe to celebrate.
(b) She refuses to leave the jail at first.
(c) She says she wants to stay and teach writing classes for the inmates.
(d) She tries to seduce the jail-keeper.
5. What reason does Clarissa's doctor give for saying she does not have to pay him?
(a) The doctor says Lovelace should pay him, since he ravished Clarissa.
(b) The doctor says the government should pay him, since Clarissa is so wonderful.
(c) The doctor wants to marry Clarissa.
(d) Some of his visits are social.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Belford have to leave Clarissa's neighborhood to visit Belton?
2. To whom does Clarissa leave her miniature portrait of Miss Howe?
3. Who offers to adopt Clarissa as his own daughter?
4. When Lovelace reads Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house," why is he happy?
5. What activity does the apothecary recommend Clarissa do less of to improve her health?
This section contains 387 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)