|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What activity does the apothecary recommend Clarissa do less of to improve her health?
(b) Taking opium.
(c) Laying around.
2. To whom does Clarissa leave her miniature portrait of Miss Howe?
(c) Mr. Hickman.
3. What does Clarissa explain she meant when she said she hoped she would be able to receive Mr. Lovelace in her father's house?
(a) That Lovelace will reform and Clarissa will be able to meet him in heaven.
(b) Clarissa meant that she would meet Lovelace in the garden at Harlowe Place to marry him before she dies.
(c) Clarissa is planning to take legal action against her parents; if she succeeds, she will evict them from Harlowe Place and marry Lovelace there.
(d) That Clarissa hopes her parents will change their minds about Lovelace, and if they do, she will marry him.
4. What makes Lovelace's family accuse him of evil-doing in relation to Clarissa?
(a) His family has seen Clarissa's letters to Lovelace.
(b) His family knows that all Lovelace ever does is evil.
(c) Clarissa has a bad reputation, so Lovelace's family assume that Clarissa corrupted Lovelace.
(d) Lovelace seems to be lying when they ask Lady Betty asks him questions about Clarissa.
5. Who does Clarissa instruct Belford to be friends with?
(a) The varlets.
(b) Colonel Morden.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lovelace talks to Hickman, he says Clarissa lets someone else court her. Who?
2. Why doesn't Clarissa respond to Miss Howe's letter suggesting she put herself under Lady Betty's protection and marry Lovelace?
3. Who is the Belfords' housekeeper?
4. Who offers to adopt Clarissa as his own daughter?
5. What language was Clarissa learning before her death?
This section contains 327 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)