Mid-Book Test - Medium
|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
(a) Rosebud is Lovelace's daughter.
(b) Lovelace is just being nice to Rosebud, giving her money so she can afford to get married.
(c) Rosebud has a baby with Lovelace.
(d) Rosebud is really Lovelace in disguise.
2. Why doesn't Clarissa read the letter from Miss Howe that tells her that Widow Sinclair keeps a house of prostitution as soon as the letter arrives?
(a) Because Clarissa has fainted again.
(b) Because Mr. Solmes intercepted the letter, so it never got to Widow Sinclair's house.
(c) Because the letter arrives after Clarissa has run away.
(d) Because Clarissa is not speaking to Miss Howe.
3. When the Harlowes learn that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, which family member is actually sad for Clarissa?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her aunt Clarissa.
(d) Her mother.
4. Which of Lovelace's friends is pleased to learn of Clarissa's escape?
(a) Mr. Solmes.
(c) Mr. Belford.
(d) Captain Tomlinson.
5. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
(a) A hotel.
(b) Uncle Antony's house.
(c) The house of his aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lovelace tell Clarissa that makes her feel bad for him?
2. How does Clarissa escape while Lovelace is visiting Lord M?
3. What does Clarissa do with the proposed marriage settlement Lovelace gives to her?
4. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
5. With whom does Lovelace have a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. In letters 22-30, Clarissa is given three suggestions for getting away from her family. Lovelace offers to take her away twice, and Miss Howe tells her that she should move into her grandfather's estate, which is legally hers. Do you think Clarissa should have taken one of these choices? Why or why not, and if so, which one?
2. Do you think it's right for Miss Howe to wear mourning clothes, even though Clarissa told her not to? Why or why not?
3. In terms of symbolism, compare the bloody nose Clarissa gets while trying to escape from Widow Sinclair's house with the earlier injury to her hand when her brother tried to make her hold Mr. Solmes's hand.
4. Do you think Clarissa wants to marry Lovelace? Why or why not?
5. Describe Mr. Lovelace's character as it has been revealed in Letters 1-10.
6. How does Clarissa's will continue to develop her character?
7. Do you think that Lovelace's family is doing the right thing by encouraging him to marry Clarissa? Why or why not?
8. Is Miss Howe a good friend to Clarissa? Why or why not?
9. When Lovelace says he loves and hates Clarissa simultaneously, and can you see his point of view? Why or why not?
10. Do you believe that Lovelace is really repentant when he tells Mr. Hickman and Miss Howe that he is, at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
This section contains 1,493 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)