|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
(c) She loves them both but can not decide which to marry.
2. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) It's hot, so he wants to stop for water.
(b) He wants to check his mail.
(c) He wants to drug and rape Clarissa.
(d) He can't pass by without greeting the prostitutes.
3. Who is Tomlinson, really?
(a) Patrick M'Donald, a friend of Lovelace's.
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Lovelace in disguise.
(d) Mr. Solmes.
4. Why does Arabella say the Harlowes refuse to send Clarissa her money or jewelry?
(a) Because they want to see her beg in the streets.
(b) Because they don't think it is safe to mail money and jewelry.
(c) Because they don't want the money to end up in Lovelace's hands.
(d) Because the family has gone bankrupt.
5. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
(b) The Widow SInclair's.
(c) Uncle Harlowe's.
(d) His own.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
2. In letters 31-36, what does Lovelace tell his friend Belford about his feelings for Clarissa?
3. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
4. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
5. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mr. Wyerley's letter reflect on Lovelace's marriage proposals?
2. How does Mr. Hickman compare to Lovelace and Solmes?
3. Do you think Clarissa's situation after she runs off with Lovelace is worse than what would have happened to her if she had stayed at her parents?
4. When Clarissa tells Miss Howe she has run off with Lovelace, she says she hopes Miss Howe will still love her. Why might she expect Miss Howe to change her feelings toward her? What do we learn about Miss Howe's personality from her reaction?
5. In letters 22-30, Clarissa is given three suggestions for getting away from her family. Lovelace offers to take her away twice, and Miss Howe tells her that she should move into her grandfather's estate, which is legally hers. Do you think Clarissa should have taken one of these choices? Why or why not, and if so, which one?
6. Dolly says that if she were in Clarissa's position, she would marry Lovelace. What do you think Clarissa should do?
7. How does the reaction of Lovelace's friends to Clarissa characterize Lovelace's friends?
8. Are Clarissa's letters to her family what you expected? Why or why not?
9. What do you expect the provisions of Clarissa's will are like?
10. Do you think Clarissa is right to keep refusing offers of money from Lovelace and Miss Howe?
This section contains 1,327 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)