|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her jewelry.
(b) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
(c) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
(d) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
2. How does Lovelace know about everything that happens at Clarissa's house?
(a) He has hired one of their servants as a spy.
(b) He hangs around in the bushes and listens to their conversations.
(c) He is secretly dating Arabella, who tells him what is happening.
(d) He is psychic.
3. Which two characters visit Clarissa in letters 37-45 to try to persuade her to marry Solmes?
(a) Lovelace's aunts.
(b) Rosebud and her boyfriend.
(c) Miss Howe and Mrs. Howe.
(d) Mrs. Norton and Aunt Hervey.
4. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
(a) They say she is reasonable and that Lovelace should marry her.
(b) They all decide to go to church.
(c) They hope Clarissa will like them more later.
(d) They tell Lovelace that Clarissa is not good enough to be his wife.
5. Who is Miss Howe?
(a) Clarissa's sister.
(b) Arabella's best friend.
(c) Clarissa and Arabella's nanny.
(d) Clarissa's best friend.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote the letter about Lovelace that Solmes reads?
2. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
3. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
4. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
5. What goal does Lovelace say he will achieve by trying to seduce Clarissa?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Arabella's letter refusing to forgive Clarissa develop Arabella's character?
2. Do you think that Lovelace's family is doing the right thing by encouraging him to marry Clarissa? Why or why not?
3. Dolly says that if she were in Clarissa's position, she would marry Lovelace. What do you think Clarissa should do?
4. Explain why Clarissa would think she has a "duty" to ask her family to give her a last blessing.
5. In letters 22-30, Clarissa is given three suggestions for getting away from her family. Lovelace offers to take her away twice, and Miss Howe tells her that she should move into her grandfather's estate, which is legally hers. Do you think Clarissa should have taken one of these choices? Why or why not, and if so, which one?
6. Why does Clarissa dislike Lovelace's party so much?
7. After Lovelace has his "debate" with the God of Love, do you believe he has really changed his intentions toward Clarissa?
8. In letters 1-21, Clarissa's family tries to control her behavior. Discuss at least two of her family members and explain their motivations to behave the way they do toward her.
9. How does Mr. Hickman compare to Lovelace and Solmes?
10. What do you think of Lovelace's repentance at this point? Does it seem real or not?
This section contains 1,180 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)