|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
2. With whom does Lovelace have a child?
(a) Miss Howe.
(b) Miss Betterton.
(d) Aunt Hervey.
3. Whose house is Clarissa staying in while in London?
(a) Mrs. Howe.
(b) Aunt Hervey.
(c) Lady Betty Lawrence.
(d) Widow Sinclair.
4. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
(a) Because James is not her parent.
(b) Because Clarissa never does what she is told.
(c) Because Uncle Antony smokes, and she can not stand to be around smoke.
(d) Because James did not say "please."
5. Lovelace tells his friend Belford that he's happy to have Clarissa under his control, but that only one thing takes away from his happiness. What is that one thing?
(a) Lovelace wishes Clarissa did not have any stain on her reputation.
(b) Lovelace finds that Clarissa is not as beautiful as he thought at first.
(c) Lovelace suspects that Clarissa does not prefer him to any other man.
(d) Lovelace wishes that Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman could be there with them to comfort Clarissa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important news does Colonel Morden's letter contain?
2. Who does Lovelace persuade Clarissa to allow to serve as a mediator between them at Mrs. Moore's house?
3. In addition to the information about the Widow Sinclair, what else does the revealing letter from Miss Howe say?
4. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
5. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the suffering of the bad characters at the end of the novel fits their crimes?
2. Why do you think Clarissa is so concerned about the curse her father put on her?
3. Explain why Clarissa would think she has a "duty" to ask her family to give her a last blessing.
4. How does the meeting between Morden and Lovelace characterize all the men who are present?
5. Do you agree with Lovelace's interpretation of Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house"? Why or why not?
6. After Lovelace has his "debate" with the God of Love, do you believe he has really changed his intentions toward Clarissa?
7. Do you think Clarissa should give in and marry Solmes? Why or why not?
8. Do you think that Lovelace's family is doing the right thing by encouraging him to marry Clarissa? Why or why not?
9. How does Belford's behavior after Clarissa's death develop his character?
10. After Clarissa's ravishment, she believes she is losing her mind. Lovelace blames it on the effect of the drugs he used on her. Based on her symptoms, do you think it is the drugs or the rape that makes her act the way she does?
This section contains 1,295 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)