|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clarissa say about Mrs. Howe's refusal to help her?
(a) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is the meanest old woman she knows.
(b) Clarissa says that Mrs. Howe's decision proves that she is out of her mind.
(c) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe made the right decision in refusing to help her.
(d) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is going to pay for refusing to help her.
2. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
(a) Clarissa is ill, and Lady Betty is boring.
(b) Clarissa is rich, but Lady Betty is poor.
(c) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty warned her not to come.
(d) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty has not invited her.
3. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
(a) Rosebud is Lovelace's daughter.
(b) Rosebud has a baby with Lovelace.
(c) Lovelace is just being nice to Rosebud, giving her money so she can afford to get married.
(d) Rosebud is really Lovelace in disguise.
4. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
(a) Send a letter to the London Times explaining what happened.
(b) Marry Solmes.
(c) Go to Scotland.
(d) Marry Lovelace.
5. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Clarissa's godmother.
(b) Clarissa's aunt.
(c) Lovelace's mistress.
(d) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James plan to do with Clarissa if he "rescues" her?
2. What does Mr. Belton learn that his mistress did to him?
3. How does Solmes believe husbands should handle wives?
4. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
5. Why does Lord M want Lovelace to have children with Clarissa?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Lovelace has his "debate" with the God of Love, do you believe he has really changed his intentions toward Clarissa?
2. After Clarissa reveals that Lovelace used drugs to ravish her, the Howes suggest legal action. Why do you think no one brought up this idea before?
3. Do you think Clarissa wants to marry Lovelace? Why or why not?
4. Why does Clarissa dislike Lovelace's party so much?
5. In letters 22-30, Clarissa is given three suggestions for getting away from her family. Lovelace offers to take her away twice, and Miss Howe tells her that she should move into her grandfather's estate, which is legally hers. Do you think Clarissa should have taken one of these choices? Why or why not, and if so, which one?
6. It seems almost impossible for Clarissa to escape Lovelace. What factors combine to make it so hard for Clarissa to escape?
7. Lovelace says he does not want to use force, but he doesn't know how to overcome Clarissa's will. What options does he have?
8. In letters 1-21, Clarissa's family tries to control her behavior. Discuss at least two of her family members and explain their motivations to behave the way they do toward her.
9. Do you think Clarissa should give in and marry Solmes? Why or why not?
10. How does the meeting between Morden and Lovelace characterize all the men who are present?
This section contains 1,428 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)