|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
(a) Go to rehab to make sure she does not get addicted.
(b) Marry Mr. Solmes quickly, in case Clarissa is pregnant.
(c) Drug him with opium and leave him in the gutter.
(d) Bring legal charges against Lovelace.
2. What does Lord M promise to do if Lovelace marries Clarissa but is a bad husband?
(a) Lord M says he will lock Lovelace up in Lord M's dungeon until he promises to be good.
(b) Lord M says he will disinherit Lovelace and leave his money to Clarissa and her children instead.
(c) Lord M says Clarissa can divorce Lovelace and marry Lord M instead.
(d) Lord M says he will have Lovelace arrested and imprisoned.
3. What does Clarissa say about Mrs. Howe's refusal to help her?
(a) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is the meanest old woman she knows.
(b) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is going to pay for refusing to help her.
(c) Clarissa says that Mrs. Howe's decision proves that she is out of her mind.
(d) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe made the right decision in refusing to help her.
4. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
(b) She wants her jewelry.
(c) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
(d) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
5. What does Clarissa do with the proposed marriage settlement Lovelace gives to her?
(a) Sends it to Mrs. Harlowe.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Sends it to Miss Howe for her approval.
(d) Changes it, so that Clarissa gets more money.
Short Answer Questions
1. In letter 21, how is Clarissa punished for refusing to be nice to Mr. Solmes?
2. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
3. What does James plan to do with Clarissa if he "rescues" her?
4. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
5. Who does Lovelace persuade Clarissa to allow to serve as a mediator between them at Mrs. Moore's house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you agree with Lovelace's interpretation of Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house"? Why or why not?
2. It seems almost impossible for Clarissa to escape Lovelace. What factors combine to make it so hard for Clarissa to escape?
3. Why do you think Clarissa keeps refusing the money people offer her?
4. How does the reaction of Lovelace's friends to Clarissa characterize Lovelace's friends?
5. Why does Clarissa dislike Lovelace's party so much?
6. Why is Clarissa's response to Charlotte explaining why she can't marry Lovelace ironic?
7. Do you think the suffering of the bad characters at the end of the novel fits their crimes?
8. Why do you think Belford disagrees with Lovelace's determination to seduce Clarissa?
9. How does Mr. Wyerley's letter reflect on Lovelace's marriage proposals?
10. After Clarissa's ravishment, she believes she is losing her mind. Lovelace blames it on the effect of the drugs he used on her. Based on her symptoms, do you think it is the drugs or the rape that makes her act the way she does?
This section contains 1,320 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)