|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
(a) They tell Lovelace that Clarissa is not good enough to be his wife.
(b) They say she is reasonable and that Lovelace should marry her.
(c) They hope Clarissa will like them more later.
(d) They all decide to go to church.
2. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
(a) James and Arabella plan to murder Morden when he returns and inherit his property.
(b) James and Arabella know Morden will be happy about the marriage and they want to surprise him.
(c) James and Arabella are afraid Morden will give Clarissa her independence.
(d) James and Arabella think Morden will talk Solmes out of wanting to marry Clarissa.
3. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) He can't pass by without greeting the prostitutes.
(b) He wants to drug and rape Clarissa.
(c) It's hot, so he wants to stop for water.
(d) He wants to check his mail.
4. What does the Widow Sinclair overhear that makes her angry with Clarissa?
(a) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the carpets and drapes are in very bad taste.
(b) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that she's always loved Lovelace and is enjoying teasing him.
(c) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa talking about her house's reputation.
(d) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the Widow Sinclair really needs to do something about her hair.
5. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
(a) Miss Howe's brother.
(b) Mr. Salmon, who is 99 years old.
(c) Mr. Lovelace's older brother.
(d) Mr. Solmes.
Short Answer Questions
1. What important news does Colonel Morden's letter contain?
2. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
3. Why does Arabella say the Harlowes refuse to send Clarissa her money or jewelry?
4. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
5. With whom does Lovelace have a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Clarissa keeps refusing the money people offer her?
2. In letters 22-30, Clarissa is given three suggestions for getting away from her family. Lovelace offers to take her away twice, and Miss Howe tells her that she should move into her grandfather's estate, which is legally hers. Do you think Clarissa should have taken one of these choices? Why or why not, and if so, which one?
3. Dolly says that if she were in Clarissa's position, she would marry Lovelace. What do you think Clarissa should do?
4. How does the conversation between Belford and Hickman in the coffeehouse characterize Belford?
5. Does Clarissa have the information she needs to decide whether or not to marry Lovelace? Why or why not?
6. How does the description of the way Clarissa is mourned continue to develop Clarissa's character?
7. Describe Mr. Lovelace's character as it has been revealed in Letters 1-10.
8. Do you think it is fair for Clarissa to have decided that because of the fire she will never marry Lovelace?
9. Is Miss Howe a good friend to Clarissa? Why or why not?
10. Why is Clarissa's response to Charlotte explaining why she can't marry Lovelace ironic?
This section contains 1,290 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)