|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the women at Mrs. Moore's house take Lovelace's side?
(a) Lovelace promises to make them all rich if they help him.
(b) Women always side with a good-looking man.
(c) Lovelace tells the women that Clarissa is his wife.
(d) Clarissa is mean to them.
2. Who wrote the letter about Lovelace that Solmes reads?
(a) It's anonymous.
(b) Uncle Antony.
(c) Lovelace wrote it himself.
(d) Miss Howe.
3. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
(b) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
(c) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
(d) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
4. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will end up in jail.
(b) Because Belford is a minister.
(c) Because Belford fears that Clarissa will commit suicide.
(d) Because the situation is unfair.
5. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
(a) A dungeon.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A house of prostitution.
(d) A non-existent address.
Short Answer Questions
1. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
2. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
3. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
4. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
5. What does Clarissa say about Mrs. Howe's refusal to help her?
Short Essay Questions
1. In terms of symbolism, compare the bloody nose Clarissa gets while trying to escape from Widow Sinclair's house with the earlier injury to her hand when her brother tried to make her hold Mr. Solmes's hand.
2. After Lovelace has his "debate" with the God of Love, do you believe he has really changed his intentions toward Clarissa?
3. What options does Clarissa have other than seeking protection with Lovelace's aunt?
4. Why do you think Richardson decided to include Belton's death scene in the novel? What purpose does this scene serve?
5. Why do you think Clarissa keeps refusing the money people offer her?
6. When Lovelace says he loves and hates Clarissa simultaneously, and can you see his point of view? Why or why not?
7. How does Arabella's letter refusing to forgive Clarissa develop Arabella's character?
8. How does Clarissa's will continue to develop her character?
9. Do you think Clarissa wants to marry Lovelace? Why or why not?
10. How do you think Lovelace's death reflects on his character?
This section contains 1,362 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)