|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lovelace swear to get revenge on Mr. Howe and James?
(a) Because they are so mean to Clarissa.
(b) Because Mr. Howe owed him money and refused to pay.
(c) Because he finds out they hired spies to watch him.
(d) Because Arabella refused to marry him.
2. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
(a) To obey her parents and marry Solmes.
(b) To change her hairstyle.
(c) To come and stay with Miss Howe until the whole thing blows over.
(d) To marry Lovelace.
3. When Clarissa visits Lovelace's bedroom in her nightgown, what does she ask him?
(a) What is going to happen to her next.
(b) Why he does not get mental help.
(c) Why he didn't marry Arabella.
(d) Whether he likes this nightgown.
4. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
(a) They all decide to go to church.
(b) They say she is reasonable and that Lovelace should marry her.
(c) They tell Lovelace that Clarissa is not good enough to be his wife.
(d) They hope Clarissa will like them more later.
5. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
(a) Because Clarissa does not consent.
(b) Because Dr. Lewen is sick with gout.
(c) Because Dr. Lewen earlier fought a duel with Solmes.
(d) Because Dr. Lewen can not stand the Harlowes.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clarissa runs away after the fire, what does she plan to do if Lovelace does not find her?
2. Which of the following is one of the things Lovelace wrote in a forged letter, which is made to look like it was written by Miss Howe?
3. What does Clarissa say about Mrs. Howe's refusal to help her?
4. What goal does Lovelace say he will achieve by trying to seduce Clarissa?
5. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
Short Essay Questions
1. In letter 31, we see one of Lovelace's own letters for the first time. Does he seem different than you expected, or about the same? Why and how?
2. Why does Clarissa dislike Lovelace's party so much?
3. Why do you think Lovelace can not maintain his feelings of repentance?
4. Lovelace says he does not want to use force, but he doesn't know how to overcome Clarissa's will. What options does he have?
5. Is Miss Howe a good friend to Clarissa? Why or why not?
6. Explain why Clarissa would think she has a "duty" to ask her family to give her a last blessing.
7. Do you think that Lovelace's family is doing the right thing by encouraging him to marry Clarissa? Why or why not?
8. It seems almost impossible for Clarissa to escape Lovelace. What factors combine to make it so hard for Clarissa to escape?
9. Describe Mr. Lovelace's character as it has been revealed in Letters 1-10.
10. What do you expect the provisions of Clarissa's will are like?
This section contains 1,400 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)