|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Mrs. Howe blame for her own refusal of Uncle Antony's marriage proposal?
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Uncle Harlowe.
(d) Miss Howe.
2. What makes Lovelace vomit?
(a) A bad smell in the house.
(b) Nerves about the wedding.
(c) Bad shellfish.
(d) He took a drug to make himself throw up.
3. With whom does Lovelace have a child?
(a) Aunt Hervey.
(b) Miss Betterton.
(d) Miss Howe.
4. Who does Clarissa write to, asking for help persuading her father not to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Aunt Antonia.
(b) Uncle Antony.
(c) John Belford.
(d) Mrs. Howe.
5. When Clarissa visits Lovelace's bedroom in her nightgown, what does she ask him?
(a) Why he does not get mental help.
(b) Whether he likes this nightgown.
(c) Why he didn't marry Arabella.
(d) What is going to happen to her next.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Mr. Belton learn that his mistress did to him?
2. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
3. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
4. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
5. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Clarissa's return to the Widow Sinclair's house, do you think that she is right to be more pessimistic about the final outcome of her relationship with Lovelace?
2. Do you think it is fair for Clarissa to have decided that because of the fire she will never marry Lovelace?
3. Why is Clarissa's response to Charlotte explaining why she can't marry Lovelace ironic?
4. Do you think Clarissa should give in and marry Solmes? Why or why not?
5. In letters 22-30, Clarissa is given three suggestions for getting away from her family. Lovelace offers to take her away twice, and Miss Howe tells her that she should move into her grandfather's estate, which is legally hers. Do you think Clarissa should have taken one of these choices? Why or why not, and if so, which one?
6. Why do you think Clarissa keeps refusing the money people offer her?
7. Explain why Clarissa would think she has a "duty" to ask her family to give her a last blessing.
8. Why do you think Belford disagrees with Lovelace's determination to seduce Clarissa?
9. Do you think it's right for Miss Howe to wear mourning clothes, even though Clarissa told her not to? Why or why not?
10. Why do you think Clarissa is so concerned about the curse her father put on her?
This section contains 1,215 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)