|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Clarissa say she will set a wedding date?
(a) As soon as she talks to her wedding planner.
(b) As soon as her family says they will come to the wedding.
(c) As soon as Lovelace gets a marriage license.
(d) As soon as the dressmaker finishes her wedding dress.
2. What part of Clarissa's body does James injure during the meeting with Solmes?
(a) Her head.
(b) Her hand.
(c) Her foot.
(d) Her leg.
3. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
(a) They believe she will turn him down, and they can finally forget about the whole thing.
(b) Solmes threatened the family if they did not let him see her.
(c) They believe this means she eventually will agree to marry him.
(d) Solmes has agreed to give them money in return for a meeting with her.
4. Which of Lovelace's friends is pleased to learn of Clarissa's escape?
(b) Mr. Belford.
(c) Captain Tomlinson.
(d) Mr. Solmes.
5. Where is Clarissa planning to go while Lovelace visits the dying Lord M?
(a) The Isle of Wight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
2. Who is Tomlinson, really?
3. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
4. Whose house is Clarissa staying in while in London?
5. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Belford disagrees with Lovelace's determination to seduce Clarissa?
2. Do you think it is fair for Clarissa to have decided that because of the fire she will never marry Lovelace?
3. Do you think that Lovelace's family is doing the right thing by encouraging him to marry Clarissa? Why or why not?
4. What do you expect the provisions of Clarissa's will are like?
5. Does Clarissa's challenge to debate with James change what you think of her character? Why or why not?
6. Do you think Lovelace is right to insist on visiting Clarissa when he believes she is dying? Why or why not?
7. How does the conversation between Belford and Hickman in the coffeehouse characterize Belford?
8. What options does Clarissa have other than seeking protection with Lovelace's aunt?
9. After Clarissa's ravishment, she believes she is losing her mind. Lovelace blames it on the effect of the drugs he used on her. Based on her symptoms, do you think it is the drugs or the rape that makes her act the way she does?
10. Do you think Clarissa's situation after she runs off with Lovelace is worse than what would have happened to her if she had stayed at her parents?
This section contains 1,349 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)