|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lovelace think it has been easy for Clarissa to be virtuous so far?
(a) Because Clarissa grew up in a convent.
(b) Because Clarissa has not had any big temptations yet.
(c) Because Clarissa was promised a lot of money if she would be virtuous.
(d) Because Clarissa is not smart enough to see opportunities.
2. When does Clarissa say she will set a wedding date?
(a) As soon as she talks to her wedding planner.
(b) As soon as Lovelace gets a marriage license.
(c) As soon as the dressmaker finishes her wedding dress.
(d) As soon as her family says they will come to the wedding.
3. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A wrestling match.
(b) A duel.
(c) A debate.
(d) A game of chess.
4. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
(a) To write Miss Partington a letter explaining why Clarissa won't marry Lovelace.
(b) To send Miss Partington a lock of Clarissa's hair.
(c) To share Clarissa's bed for the night.
(d) To be best friends forever.
5. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
(a) Lord M is very ugly.
(b) Lord M is ill with gout, so they can't set a date.
(c) Lord M hates Clarissa and does not want Lovelace to get married.
(d) Clarissa hates Lord M.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
2. Which of the following is one of the things Lovelace wrote in a forged letter, which is made to look like it was written by Miss Howe?
3. Why does Arabella say the Harlowes refuse to send Clarissa her money or jewelry?
4. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
5. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do you think Richardson decided to include Belton's death scene in the novel? What purpose does this scene serve?
2. Describe Mr. Lovelace's character as it has been revealed in Letters 1-10.
3. How does the reaction of Lovelace's friends to Clarissa characterize Lovelace's friends?
4. Why does Clarissa dislike Lovelace's party so much?
5. What do you think Lovelace means when he says he loves Clarissa? In other words, how do you think Lovelace would define love?
6. Does Clarissa's challenge to debate with James change what you think of her character? Why or why not?
7. What do you think Clarissa's last request is, and why?
8. How does Clarissa's discussion with the doctor about her death characterize her?
9. Do you think it's right for Miss Howe to wear mourning clothes, even though Clarissa told her not to? Why or why not?
10. Do you agree with Lovelace's interpretation of Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house"? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,183 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)