|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
(a) They believe she will turn him down, and they can finally forget about the whole thing.
(b) They believe this means she eventually will agree to marry him.
(c) Solmes has agreed to give them money in return for a meeting with her.
(d) Solmes threatened the family if they did not let him see her.
2. How does Clarissa learn that the "Lady Betty" she first saw in London was an impostor?
(a) Widow Sinclair admits it.
(b) She sees a picture of Lady Betty in the newspaper.
(c) Lovelace admits it.
(d) She exchanges letters with the real Lady Betty.
3. What makes Lovelace vomit?
(a) Bad shellfish.
(b) Nerves about the wedding.
(c) A bad smell in the house.
(d) He took a drug to make himself throw up.
4. Which of Lovelace's friends is pleased to learn of Clarissa's escape?
(a) Captain Tomlinson.
(b) Mr. Solmes.
(d) Mr. Belford.
5. Why doesn't Clarissa read the letter from Miss Howe that tells her that Widow Sinclair keeps a house of prostitution as soon as the letter arrives?
(a) Because Clarissa has fainted again.
(b) Because Clarissa is not speaking to Miss Howe.
(c) Because the letter arrives after Clarissa has run away.
(d) Because Mr. Solmes intercepted the letter, so it never got to Widow Sinclair's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of Clarissa's body does James injure during the meeting with Solmes?
2. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
3. When Clarissa threatens to commit suicide in the dining room, what weapon does she have with her?
4. Why does Clarissa faint when she finds out that they cannot leave the Widow Sinclair's house because Charlotte is sick?
5. Who does Mrs. Howe blame for her own refusal of Uncle Antony's marriage proposal?
Short Essay Questions
1. What options does Clarissa have other than seeking protection with Lovelace's aunt?
2. Do you agree with Lovelace's interpretation of Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house"? Why or why not?
3. Dolly says that if she were in Clarissa's position, she would marry Lovelace. What do you think Clarissa should do?
4. Are Clarissa's letters to her family what you expected? Why or why not?
5. It seems almost impossible for Clarissa to escape Lovelace. What factors combine to make it so hard for Clarissa to escape?
6. Why is Clarissa's response to Charlotte explaining why she can't marry Lovelace ironic?
7. How does the reaction of Lovelace's friends to Clarissa characterize Lovelace's friends?
8. Why do you think Richardson decided to include Belton's death scene in the novel? What purpose does this scene serve?
9. After Clarissa's return to the Widow Sinclair's house, do you think that she is right to be more pessimistic about the final outcome of her relationship with Lovelace?
10. Does Clarissa's behavior with her coffin reinforce the earlier development of her character? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,177 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)