|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Clarissa run away after the fire at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) She hates fire even more than Lovelace.
(b) She wants to join the circus.
(c) She believes Lovelace set the fire to get a chance to ravish her.
(d) She set the fire herself so she could run away.
2. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford fears that Clarissa will commit suicide.
(b) Because the situation is unfair.
(c) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will end up in jail.
(d) Because Belford is a minister.
3. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
(a) Clarissa's father.
(b) Uncle Antony.
(d) Clarissa's brother James.
4. In letters 31-36, what does Lovelace tell his friend Belford about his feelings for Clarissa?
(a) That he does not love her and is only courting her to get back at her father and brother.
(b) That he is giving up on her, since she really is not into him.
(c) That he really does love her.
(d) That he plans to kidnap her and drug her.
5. Who does Lovelace persuade Clarissa to allow to serve as a mediator between them at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence.
(b) The Widow Sinclair.
(c) Mrs. Howe.
(d) Miss Howe.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Howe says she is going to write to Clarissa even though her mother does not allow her to, what does Clarissa tell her?
2. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
3. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
4. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
5. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do you think Lovelace means when he says he loves Clarissa? In other words, how do you think Lovelace would define love?
2. Do you believe Lovelace will really go through with his plot to rape Miss Howe and Mrs. Howe? Why or why not?
3. When Clarissa tells Miss Howe she has run off with Lovelace, she says she hopes Miss Howe will still love her. Why might she expect Miss Howe to change her feelings toward her? What do we learn about Miss Howe's personality from her reaction?
4. Do you think Lovelace is right to insist on visiting Clarissa when he believes she is dying? Why or why not?
5. Why do you think Richardson decided to include Belton's death scene in the novel? What purpose does this scene serve?
6. Does Clarissa's behavior with her coffin reinforce the earlier development of her character? Why or why not?
7. How does Mr. Wyerley's letter reflect on Lovelace's marriage proposals?
8. Why do you think Belford disagrees with Lovelace's determination to seduce Clarissa?
9. How does Clarissa selling her clothes to pay for her funeral reflect on her situation?
10. After Clarissa reveals that Lovelace used drugs to ravish her, the Howes suggest legal action. Why do you think no one brought up this idea before?
This section contains 1,330 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)