|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lord M want Lovelace to have children with Clarissa?
(a) Because Lord M loves kids.
(b) So that Lovelace will have legitimate heirs.
(c) Because Lord M thinks fatherhood will help Lovelace stop drinking so much.
(d) Because Lord M knows that Clarissa loves kids.
2. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
(a) To share Clarissa's bed for the night.
(b) To send Miss Partington a lock of Clarissa's hair.
(c) To write Miss Partington a letter explaining why Clarissa won't marry Lovelace.
(d) To be best friends forever.
3. Who wrote the letter about Lovelace that Solmes reads?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(b) It's anonymous.
(c) Miss Howe.
(d) Lovelace wrote it himself.
4. Clarissa admits she would prefer Lovelace if only he had what quality?
(b) A great singing voice.
(d) Good looks.
5. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or she will marry a servant.
(b) Clarissa will give James half her inheritance and give him her best maid to take to Scotland.
(c) Clarissa will give James all her chickens, and she will help Arabella get Lovelace to marry her.
(d) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or become James's maid in Scotland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Miss Howe?
2. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
3. Which two characters visit Clarissa in letters 37-45 to try to persuade her to marry Solmes?
4. What part of Clarissa's body does James injure during the meeting with Solmes?
5. In letter 21, how is Clarissa punished for refusing to be nice to Mr. Solmes?
Short Essay Questions
1. After Clarissa's ravishment, she believes she is losing her mind. Lovelace blames it on the effect of the drugs he used on her. Based on her symptoms, do you think it is the drugs or the rape that makes her act the way she does?
2. How does Mr. Wyerley's letter reflect on Lovelace's marriage proposals?
3. How does Clarissa's discussion with the doctor about her death characterize her?
4. Lovelace says he does not want to use force, but he doesn't know how to overcome Clarissa's will. What options does he have?
5. Is Miss Howe a good friend to Clarissa? Why or why not?
6. Why do you think Lovelace can not maintain his feelings of repentance?
7. What do you think of Lovelace's repentance at this point? Does it seem real or not?
8. Why do you think Clarissa is so concerned about the curse her father put on her?
9. How does Clarissa's will continue to develop her character?
10. What do you think Lovelace means when he says he loves Clarissa? In other words, how do you think Lovelace would define love?
This section contains 1,318 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)