|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford fears that Clarissa will commit suicide.
(b) Because the situation is unfair.
(c) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will end up in jail.
(d) Because Belford is a minister.
2. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
(a) She never liked him in the first place.
(b) She never wants to get married at all.
(c) She does not like the way he talks to her.
(d) She has heard he has seduced a lot of women.
3. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Clarissa will give James all her chickens, and she will help Arabella get Lovelace to marry her.
(b) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or become James's maid in Scotland.
(c) Clarissa will give James half her inheritance and give him her best maid to take to Scotland.
(d) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or she will marry a servant.
4. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A game of chess.
(b) A wrestling match.
(c) A duel.
(d) A debate.
5. What makes Lovelace vomit?
(a) A bad smell in the house.
(b) Bad shellfish.
(c) He took a drug to make himself throw up.
(d) Nerves about the wedding.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clarissa seems willing to marry Lovelace in order to reconcile with her family, why does that bother Lovelace?
2. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
3. Why does Lovelace think it has been easy for Clarissa to be virtuous so far?
4. How does Lovelace know about everything that happens at Clarissa's house?
5. What does the Widow Sinclair overhear that makes her angry with Clarissa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Clarissa would think she has a "duty" to ask her family to give her a last blessing.
2. After Lovelace has his "debate" with the God of Love, do you believe he has really changed his intentions toward Clarissa?
3. How does Belford's behavior after Clarissa's death develop his character?
4. Why do you think Clarissa keeps refusing the money people offer her?
5. How does the meeting between Morden and Lovelace characterize all the men who are present?
6. What do you think Lovelace means when he says he loves Clarissa? In other words, how do you think Lovelace would define love?
7. Do you believe that Lovelace is really repentant when he tells Mr. Hickman and Miss Howe that he is, at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
8. Do you think that Lovelace's family is doing the right thing by encouraging him to marry Clarissa? Why or why not?
9. Do you think Lovelace is right to insist on visiting Clarissa when he believes she is dying? Why or why not?
10. In letter 31, we see one of Lovelace's own letters for the first time. Does he seem different than you expected, or about the same? Why and how?
This section contains 1,445 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)