|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
(a) To share Clarissa's bed for the night.
(b) To write Miss Partington a letter explaining why Clarissa won't marry Lovelace.
(c) To send Miss Partington a lock of Clarissa's hair.
(d) To be best friends forever.
2. Which of the following best describes the style of this book?
(a) A series of letters exchanged between several people.
(b) A young woman's diary.
(c) One long letter written by one person.
(d) A play.
3. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
(a) In her rooms, but she can go into the garden when no one else is there.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the Tower of London.
(d) In the kitchen, where she will cook during the day and sleep on the floor at night.
4. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
(a) His love of women.
(b) His drinking.
(c) His high opinion of himself.
(d) His love of money.
5. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
(a) Lovelace is just being nice to Rosebud, giving her money so she can afford to get married.
(b) Rosebud is Lovelace's daughter.
(c) Rosebud is really Lovelace in disguise.
(d) Rosebud has a baby with Lovelace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Lovelace tell Clarissa that makes her feel bad for him?
2. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
3. Why doesn't Clarissa read the letter from Miss Howe that tells her that Widow Sinclair keeps a house of prostitution as soon as the letter arrives?
4. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
5. Why does Lovelace think that Lord M dying might help him get Clarissa to marry him?
Short Essay Questions
1. Does Clarissa have the information she needs to decide whether or not to marry Lovelace? Why or why not?
2. Do you think Clarissa is right to keep refusing offers of money from Lovelace and Miss Howe?
3. What do you think Lovelace means when he says he loves Clarissa? In other words, how do you think Lovelace would define love?
4. Do you think that Lovelace's family is doing the right thing by encouraging him to marry Clarissa? Why or why not?
5. After Clarissa's ravishment, she believes she is losing her mind. Lovelace blames it on the effect of the drugs he used on her. Based on her symptoms, do you think it is the drugs or the rape that makes her act the way she does?
6. What is the point of Clarissa leaving nothing to James, Arabella or Lovelace?
7. Why do you think Clarissa keeps refusing the money people offer her?
8. Lovelace says he does not want to use force, but he doesn't know how to overcome Clarissa's will. What options does he have?
9. Do you think Clarissa should give in and marry Solmes? Why or why not?
10. In terms of symbolism, compare the bloody nose Clarissa gets while trying to escape from Widow Sinclair's house with the earlier injury to her hand when her brother tried to make her hold Mr. Solmes's hand.
This section contains 1,502 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)