|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the style of this book?
(a) A series of letters exchanged between several people.
(b) One long letter written by one person.
(c) A play.
(d) A young woman's diary.
2. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
(a) Send a letter to the London Times explaining what happened.
(b) Go to Scotland.
(c) Marry Lovelace.
(d) Marry Solmes.
3. When Lovelace and Clarissa get a room together at an inn, what do they pretend to be?
(a) Uncle and niece.
(b) Grandfather and granddaughter.
(d) Brother and sister.
4. What does the Widow Sinclair overhear that makes her angry with Clarissa?
(a) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa talking about her house's reputation.
(b) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that she's always loved Lovelace and is enjoying teasing him.
(c) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the carpets and drapes are in very bad taste.
(d) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the Widow Sinclair really needs to do something about her hair.
5. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Clarissa's aunt.
(b) Lovelace's mistress.
(c) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(d) Clarissa's godmother.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
2. Which of the following is one of the things Lovelace wrote in a forged letter, which is made to look like it was written by Miss Howe?
3. With whom does Lovelace have a child?
4. When does Clarissa say she will set a wedding date?
5. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think it's right for Miss Howe to wear mourning clothes, even though Clarissa told her not to? Why or why not?
2. Explain why Clarissa would think she has a "duty" to ask her family to give her a last blessing.
3. How does Clarissa's will continue to develop her character?
4. Why do you think Richardson decided to include Belton's death scene in the novel? What purpose does this scene serve?
5. Do you think that Lovelace's family is doing the right thing by encouraging him to marry Clarissa? Why or why not?
6. Do you think it is fair for Clarissa to have decided that because of the fire she will never marry Lovelace?
7. In terms of symbolism, compare the bloody nose Clarissa gets while trying to escape from Widow Sinclair's house with the earlier injury to her hand when her brother tried to make her hold Mr. Solmes's hand.
8. Do you think Clarissa is right to keep refusing offers of money from Lovelace and Miss Howe?
9. What do you think Lovelace means when he says he loves Clarissa? In other words, how do you think Lovelace would define love?
10. Lovelace says he does not want to use force, but he doesn't know how to overcome Clarissa's will. What options does he have?
This section contains 1,519 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)