|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
(a) James and Arabella plan to murder Morden when he returns and inherit his property.
(b) James and Arabella think Morden will talk Solmes out of wanting to marry Clarissa.
(c) James and Arabella are afraid Morden will give Clarissa her independence.
(d) James and Arabella know Morden will be happy about the marriage and they want to surprise him.
2. Who does Clarissa write to, asking for help persuading her father not to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(b) Mrs. Howe.
(c) John Belford.
(d) Aunt Antonia.
3. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(b) Clarissa's aunt.
(c) Clarissa's godmother.
(d) Lovelace's mistress.
4. What important news does Colonel Morden's letter contain?
(a) Colonel Morden has challenged James to a duel.
(b) Colonel Morden thinks Clarissa should have married Solmes.
(c) Colonel Morden has learned that Lovelace is really Clarissa's brother.
(d) Colonel Morden is never returning to England.
5. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
(a) Because Dr. Lewen earlier fought a duel with Solmes.
(b) Because Dr. Lewen can not stand the Harlowes.
(c) Because Dr. Lewen is sick with gout.
(d) Because Clarissa does not consent.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
2. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
3. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
4. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
5. Where is Clarissa planning to go while Lovelace visits the dying Lord M?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Clarissa tells Miss Howe she has run off with Lovelace, she says she hopes Miss Howe will still love her. Why might she expect Miss Howe to change her feelings toward her? What do we learn about Miss Howe's personality from her reaction?
2. After Lovelace has his "debate" with the God of Love, do you believe he has really changed his intentions toward Clarissa?
3. What do you think of Lovelace's repentance at this point? Does it seem real or not?
4. Do you think the suffering of the bad characters at the end of the novel fits their crimes?
5. Dolly says that if she were in Clarissa's position, she would marry Lovelace. What do you think Clarissa should do?
6. When Lovelace says he loves and hates Clarissa simultaneously, and can you see his point of view? Why or why not?
7. Explain why Clarissa would think she has a "duty" to ask her family to give her a last blessing.
8. Do you believe that Lovelace is really repentant when he tells Mr. Hickman and Miss Howe that he is, at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
9. What do you expect the provisions of Clarissa's will are like?
10. Do you agree with Lovelace's interpretation of Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house"? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,214 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)