|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clarissa learn that the "Lady Betty" she first saw in London was an impostor?
(a) She sees a picture of Lady Betty in the newspaper.
(b) Lovelace admits it.
(c) She exchanges letters with the real Lady Betty.
(d) Widow Sinclair admits it.
2. What does Mr. Belton learn that his mistress did to him?
(a) Ran off to New York.
(b) Opened a house of prostitution.
(c) Told everyone that she and Belton were not married.
(d) Gave Belton's money to her boyfriend.
3. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
(a) Lovelace is just being nice to Rosebud, giving her money so she can afford to get married.
(b) Rosebud is really Lovelace in disguise.
(c) Rosebud is Lovelace's daughter.
(d) Rosebud has a baby with Lovelace.
4. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her jewelry.
(b) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
(c) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
(d) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
5. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
(a) In her rooms, but she can go into the garden when no one else is there.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In the kitchen, where she will cook during the day and sleep on the floor at night.
(d) In the Tower of London.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Lovelace spread a rumor that James still plans to kidnap Clarissa?
2. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
3. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
4. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
5. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you think Lovelace's death reflects on his character?
2. What do you expect the provisions of Clarissa's will are like?
3. How does Arabella's letter refusing to forgive Clarissa develop Arabella's character?
4. How does Mr. Wyerley's letter reflect on Lovelace's marriage proposals?
5. Does Clarissa's behavior with her coffin reinforce the earlier development of her character? Why or why not?
6. After Clarissa reveals that Lovelace used drugs to ravish her, the Howes suggest legal action. Why do you think no one brought up this idea before?
7. What is the point of Clarissa leaving nothing to James, Arabella or Lovelace?
8. Describe Mr. Lovelace's character as it has been revealed in Letters 1-10.
9. Why do you think Belford disagrees with Lovelace's determination to seduce Clarissa?
10. When Miss Howe describes Clarissa's character in response to Belford's request, how closely does the description Miss Howe gives fit your understanding of Clarissa's character as it has been developed earlier in the novel?
This section contains 1,409 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)