|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lord M promise to do if Lovelace marries Clarissa but is a bad husband?
(a) Lord M says he will disinherit Lovelace and leave his money to Clarissa and her children instead.
(b) Lord M says he will have Lovelace arrested and imprisoned.
(c) Lord M says Clarissa can divorce Lovelace and marry Lord M instead.
(d) Lord M says he will lock Lovelace up in Lord M's dungeon until he promises to be good.
2. How does Clarissa learn that the "Lady Betty" she first saw in London was an impostor?
(a) Lovelace admits it.
(b) She exchanges letters with the real Lady Betty.
(c) She sees a picture of Lady Betty in the newspaper.
(d) Widow Sinclair admits it.
3. Why does Clarissa run away after the fire at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) She hates fire even more than Lovelace.
(b) She wants to join the circus.
(c) She believes Lovelace set the fire to get a chance to ravish her.
(d) She set the fire herself so she could run away.
4. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
(a) The house of his aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence.
(b) A hotel.
(d) Uncle Antony's house.
5. Whose house is Clarissa staying in while in London?
(a) Aunt Hervey.
(b) Lady Betty Lawrence.
(c) Widow Sinclair.
(d) Mrs. Howe.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
2. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
3. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
4. Who does Lovelace persuade Clarissa to allow to serve as a mediator between them at Mrs. Moore's house?
5. Who is Tomlinson, really?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Miss Howe describes Clarissa's character in response to Belford's request, how closely does the description Miss Howe gives fit your understanding of Clarissa's character as it has been developed earlier in the novel?
2. Do you think Clarissa should give in and marry Solmes? Why or why not?
3. Do you believe that Lovelace is really repentant when he tells Mr. Hickman and Miss Howe that he is, at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
4. Is Miss Howe a good friend to Clarissa? Why or why not?
5. Do you think that Lovelace's family is doing the right thing by encouraging him to marry Clarissa? Why or why not?
6. Why do you think Belford disagrees with Lovelace's determination to seduce Clarissa?
7. What do you think of Lovelace's repentance at this point? Does it seem real or not?
8. Why do you think Lovelace can not maintain his feelings of repentance?
9. Do you think Lovelace is right to insist on visiting Clarissa when he believes she is dying? Why or why not?
10. How do you think Lovelace's death reflects on his character?
This section contains 1,331 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)