|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clarissa escape while Lovelace is visiting Lord M?
(a) By jumping out the window.
(b) By hiring body guards who break in to the house and escort her out.
(c) By hiding in the laundry when it is taken out.
(d) By disguising herself as a servant.
2. In letter 21, how is Clarissa punished for refusing to be nice to Mr. Solmes?
(a) She is forced to be her sister's maid.
(b) Her dairy-house is given to her brother.
(c) She is not allowed to go to a ball.
(d) She is forbidden to see her family and sent to her room.
3. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
(a) Lord M is ill with gout, so they can't set a date.
(b) Clarissa hates Lord M.
(c) Lord M hates Clarissa and does not want Lovelace to get married.
(d) Lord M is very ugly.
4. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
(a) Because Uncle Antony smokes, and she can not stand to be around smoke.
(b) Because James did not say "please."
(c) Because James is not her parent.
(d) Because Clarissa never does what she is told.
5. How does Clarissa's maid Betty treat her?
(a) Betty treats Clarissa rudely.
(b) Betty tries to help Clarissa escape.
(c) Betty fears Clarissa.
(d) Betty worships Clarissa.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
2. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
3. Where is Clarissa planning to go while Lovelace visits the dying Lord M?
4. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
5. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Lovelace is right to insist on visiting Clarissa when he believes she is dying? Why or why not?
2. Do you believe Lovelace will really go through with his plot to rape Miss Howe and Mrs. Howe? Why or why not?
3. After Clarissa reveals that Lovelace used drugs to ravish her, the Howes suggest legal action. Why do you think no one brought up this idea before?
4. It seems almost impossible for Clarissa to escape Lovelace. What factors combine to make it so hard for Clarissa to escape?
5. Why do you think Clarissa is so concerned about the curse her father put on her?
6. Why do you think Lovelace can not maintain his feelings of repentance?
7. Does Clarissa have the information she needs to decide whether or not to marry Lovelace? Why or why not?
8. Why do you think Richardson decided to include Belton's death scene in the novel? What purpose does this scene serve?
9. Dolly says that if she were in Clarissa's position, she would marry Lovelace. What do you think Clarissa should do?
10. Why does Clarissa dislike Lovelace's party so much?
This section contains 1,317 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)