|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) He wants to check his mail.
(b) He wants to drug and rape Clarissa.
(c) It's hot, so he wants to stop for water.
(d) He can't pass by without greeting the prostitutes.
2. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
(a) Her aunt Hervey.
(b) Her brother James.
(c) Her uncle Antony.
(d) Colonel Morden.
3. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
(a) Mr. Solmes.
(b) Mr. Lovelace's older brother.
(c) Miss Howe's brother.
(d) Mr. Salmon, who is 99 years old.
4. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
(b) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
(c) She wants her jewelry.
(d) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
5. Why doesn't Clarissa read the letter from Miss Howe that tells her that Widow Sinclair keeps a house of prostitution as soon as the letter arrives?
(a) Because Clarissa has fainted again.
(b) Because Clarissa is not speaking to Miss Howe.
(c) Because the letter arrives after Clarissa has run away.
(d) Because Mr. Solmes intercepted the letter, so it never got to Widow Sinclair's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clarissa runs away after the fire, what does she plan to do if Lovelace does not find her?
2. Why does Lovelace think that Lord M dying might help him get Clarissa to marry him?
3. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
4. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
5. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Clarissa dislike Lovelace's party so much?
2. Why do you think Lovelace can not maintain his feelings of repentance?
3. What do you think of Lovelace's repentance at this point? Does it seem real or not?
4. What do you think Clarissa's last request is, and why?
5. In terms of symbolism, compare the bloody nose Clarissa gets while trying to escape from Widow Sinclair's house with the earlier injury to her hand when her brother tried to make her hold Mr. Solmes's hand.
6. Do you think it is fair for Clarissa to have decided that because of the fire she will never marry Lovelace?
7. Why do you think Belford disagrees with Lovelace's determination to seduce Clarissa?
8. Explain why Clarissa would think she has a "duty" to ask her family to give her a last blessing.
9. Does Clarissa's behavior with her coffin reinforce the earlier development of her character? Why or why not?
10. Why do you think Clarissa is so concerned about the curse her father put on her?
This section contains 1,332 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)