|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
(a) Solmes threatened the family if they did not let him see her.
(b) They believe she will turn him down, and they can finally forget about the whole thing.
(c) They believe this means she eventually will agree to marry him.
(d) Solmes has agreed to give them money in return for a meeting with her.
2. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
(a) Mr. Lovelace's older brother.
(b) Miss Howe's brother.
(c) Mr. Solmes.
(d) Mr. Salmon, who is 99 years old.
3. What goal does Lovelace say he will achieve by trying to seduce Clarissa?
(a) Achieve his 100th seduction.
(b) Test his own seductiveness.
(c) Test the virtue of all women.
(d) Keep himself busy.
4. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
(a) They hope Clarissa will like them more later.
(b) They tell Lovelace that Clarissa is not good enough to be his wife.
(c) They all decide to go to church.
(d) They say she is reasonable and that Lovelace should marry her.
5. How does Solmes believe husbands should handle wives?
(a) Rule them through fear.
(b) Allow them to act any way they want.
(c) Keep them barefoot and in the kitchen.
(d) Treat them with love and respect.
Short Answer Questions
1. Lovelace tells his friend Belford that he's happy to have Clarissa under his control, but that only one thing takes away from his happiness. What is that one thing?
2. When Clarissa visits Lovelace's bedroom in her nightgown, what does she ask him?
3. In letters 31-36, what does Lovelace tell his friend Belford about his feelings for Clarissa?
4. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
5. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Clarissa is right to keep refusing offers of money from Lovelace and Miss Howe?
2. What do you think of Lovelace's repentance at this point? Does it seem real or not?
3. What do you expect the provisions of Clarissa's will are like?
4. Describe Mr. Lovelace's character as it has been revealed in Letters 1-10.
5. How does Mr. Wyerley's letter reflect on Lovelace's marriage proposals?
6. Do you think it's right for Miss Howe to wear mourning clothes, even though Clarissa told her not to? Why or why not?
7. What is the point of Clarissa leaving nothing to James, Arabella or Lovelace?
8. It seems almost impossible for Clarissa to escape Lovelace. What factors combine to make it so hard for Clarissa to escape?
9. Dolly says that if she were in Clarissa's position, she would marry Lovelace. What do you think Clarissa should do?
10. Does Clarissa have the information she needs to decide whether or not to marry Lovelace? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,261 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)