|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Clarissa's aunt.
(b) Clarissa's godmother.
(c) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(d) Lovelace's mistress.
2. What does Mr. Belton learn that his mistress did to him?
(a) Told everyone that she and Belton were not married.
(b) Opened a house of prostitution.
(c) Ran off to New York.
(d) Gave Belton's money to her boyfriend.
3. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
(a) Hold out for as much money as she can get before agreeing to marry him.
(b) Run away to New York and become an actress.
(c) Marry Solmes as soon as possible.
(d) Marry Lovelace as soon as possible.
4. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
(a) Because James is not her parent.
(b) Because Uncle Antony smokes, and she can not stand to be around smoke.
(c) Because James did not say "please."
(d) Because Clarissa never does what she is told.
5. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
(a) A grocery store.
(b) A house of prostitution.
(c) A non-existent address.
(d) A dungeon.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
2. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
3. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
4. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
5. Why do the women at Mrs. Moore's house take Lovelace's side?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think the suffering of the bad characters at the end of the novel fits their crimes?
2. How does the conversation between Belford and Hickman in the coffeehouse characterize Belford?
3. When Miss Howe describes Clarissa's character in response to Belford's request, how closely does the description Miss Howe gives fit your understanding of Clarissa's character as it has been developed earlier in the novel?
4. Do you think it is fair for Clarissa to have decided that because of the fire she will never marry Lovelace?
5. Do you think Lovelace is right to insist on visiting Clarissa when he believes she is dying? Why or why not?
6. Does Clarissa have the information she needs to decide whether or not to marry Lovelace? Why or why not?
7. How does Belford's behavior after Clarissa's death develop his character?
8. What options does Clarissa have other than seeking protection with Lovelace's aunt?
9. How does Mr. Wyerley's letter reflect on Lovelace's marriage proposals?
10. Do you believe Lovelace will really go through with his plot to rape Miss Howe and Mrs. Howe? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,254 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)