|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does James plan to do with Clarissa if he "rescues" her?
(a) Have Clarissa arrested and sent to jail for prostitution.
(b) Send Clarissa to a madhouse.
(c) Send Clarissa to a convent.
(d) Send Clarissa to his estate in Scotland.
2. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
(a) Dorcas told Clarissa what they said.
(b) Tomlinson wrote Clarissa a letter and told her.
(c) Clarissa eavesdropped on them.
(d) Lovelace told Clarissa what they said.
3. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
(a) His drinking.
(b) His love of money.
(c) His high opinion of himself.
(d) His love of women.
4. Who is Miss Howe?
(a) Clarissa and Arabella's nanny.
(b) Clarissa's sister.
(c) Clarissa's best friend.
(d) Arabella's best friend.
5. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
(a) Because Uncle Antony smokes, and she can not stand to be around smoke.
(b) Because Clarissa never does what she is told.
(c) Because James did not say "please."
(d) Because James is not her parent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
2. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
3. How does Lovelace's talk with the God of Love about Clarissa end?
4. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
5. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the conversation between Belford and Hickman in the coffeehouse characterize Belford?
2. How does the meeting between Morden and Lovelace characterize all the men who are present?
3. Do you think it is fair for Clarissa to have decided that because of the fire she will never marry Lovelace?
4. What do you think Lovelace means when he says he loves Clarissa? In other words, how do you think Lovelace would define love?
5. Do you believe that Lovelace is really repentant when he tells Mr. Hickman and Miss Howe that he is, at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
6. How does Clarissa selling her clothes to pay for her funeral reflect on her situation?
7. Lovelace says he does not want to use force, but he doesn't know how to overcome Clarissa's will. What options does he have?
8. How does Mr. Wyerley's letter reflect on Lovelace's marriage proposals?
9. Do you think Clarissa wants to marry Lovelace? Why or why not?
10. Do you believe Lovelace will really go through with his plot to rape Miss Howe and Mrs. Howe? Why or why not?
This section contains 1,441 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)