|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Lovelace's mistress.
(b) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(c) Clarissa's aunt.
(d) Clarissa's godmother.
2. How does Clarissa learn that the "Lady Betty" she first saw in London was an impostor?
(a) She sees a picture of Lady Betty in the newspaper.
(b) She exchanges letters with the real Lady Betty.
(c) Lovelace admits it.
(d) Widow Sinclair admits it.
3. Why does Lovelace think that Lord M dying might help him get Clarissa to marry him?
(a) Because he hopes the money he will inherit will impress Clarissa.
(b) Because he thinks Clarissa will feel sorry for him when he's grieving.
(c) Because he suspects Clarissa loves Lord M, but once Lord M is dead, Clarissa will turn to Lovelace for comfort.
(d) Because Clarissa never liked Lord M.
4. When the Harlowes learn that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, which family member is actually sad for Clarissa?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her aunt Clarissa.
(c) Her brother.
(d) Her father.
5. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
(a) Lovelace is just being nice to Rosebud, giving her money so she can afford to get married.
(b) Rosebud is really Lovelace in disguise.
(c) Rosebud is Lovelace's daughter.
(d) Rosebud has a baby with Lovelace.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
2. Why does Lovelace spread a rumor that James still plans to kidnap Clarissa?
3. Who is Tomlinson, really?
4. Why does Lord M want Lovelace to have children with Clarissa?
5. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Belford's behavior after Clarissa's death develop his character?
2. Are Clarissa's letters to her family what you expected? Why or why not?
3. Do you think Clarissa should give in and marry Solmes? Why or why not?
4. After Clarissa's ravishment, she believes she is losing her mind. Lovelace blames it on the effect of the drugs he used on her. Based on her symptoms, do you think it is the drugs or the rape that makes her act the way she does?
5. How does the description of the way Clarissa is mourned continue to develop Clarissa's character?
6. Do you agree with Lovelace's interpretation of Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house"? Why or why not?
7. Is Lovelace's behavior after Clarissa's death what you expected? Why or why not?
8. When Clarissa tells Miss Howe she has run off with Lovelace, she says she hopes Miss Howe will still love her. Why might she expect Miss Howe to change her feelings toward her? What do we learn about Miss Howe's personality from her reaction?
9. Explain why Clarissa would think she has a "duty" to ask her family to give her a last blessing.
10. Why do you think Clarissa is so concerned about the curse her father put on her?
This section contains 1,224 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)