|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lovelace respond when the dying Clarissa forgives him?
(a) He says he is glad, because now he doesn't have to worry about being punished in the afterlife.
(b) He says he is not sure he deserves to be forgiven.
(c) He asks whether she forgave James and Arabella, since the whole thing was really their fault.
(d) He says he does not forgive her.
2. Who, besides Lovelace, does Morden almost fight when he meets with Lovelace?
(a) Mr. Mowbray.
(b) Uncle Antony.
(c) Mr. Hickman.
(d) Mr. Harlowe.
3. Who offers to adopt Clarissa as his own daughter?
(a) Colonel Morden.
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Lord M.
4. What are the Harlowes doing when they get the news of Clarissa's death?
(a) Packing to go on vacation.
(b) Talking about the fact that they don't think Clarissa is really very sick.
(c) Preparing to throw a ball to celebrate Arabella's engagement.
(d) Watching James fight a duel.
5. What does Clarissa do with her coffin while she's still alive?
(a) Asks other people to lay in it when they want to talk to her.
(b) Lays in it to pretend she is a vampire.
(c) Uses it as a desk.
(d) Stares at it all the time, mumbling about how she does not want to die.
6. Why does Belford beg Lovelace not to visit Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will commit suicide if he sees Clarissa.
(b) Because a visit from Lovelace will make Clarissa die sooner.
(c) Because the police are planning to arrest Lovelace if he shows up at Clarissa's lodgings.
(d) Because Belford has decided to marry Clarissa himself.
7. What reason does Clarissa's doctor give for saying she does not have to pay him?
(a) The doctor wants to marry Clarissa.
(b) The doctor says the government should pay him, since Clarissa is so wonderful.
(c) Some of his visits are social.
(d) The doctor says Lovelace should pay him, since he ravished Clarissa.
8. Who mocks Belford and Belton while Belton is dying?
(d) Uncle Harlowe.
9. What languages did Clarissa know well, besides English?
(a) German and Russian.
(b) French and Italian.
(c) Spanish and Chinese.
(d) Latin and Greek.
10. Who (besides Clarissa) asks Belford to be the executor of a will?
(a) Belton and Lovelace.
(b) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
(c) Uncle Antony and Uncle Harlowe.
(d) Lord M and Colonel Morden.
11. Why does Belford have to leave Clarissa's neighborhood to visit Belton?
(a) Because Belton promised Belford a lot of money for visiting him.
(b) Because Belton is dying.
(c) Because Lovelace wants Belford to leave so he can visit Clarissa alone.
(d) Because Belton is giving a ball, and Belford has to be there.
12. Why doesn't Clarissa respond to Miss Howe's letter suggesting she put herself under Lady Betty's protection and marry Lovelace?
(a) Clarissa is still not speaking to Miss Howe.
(b) Clarissa doesn't get the letter, because she's in jail.
(c) Clarissa is so upset she has lost the ability to hold a pen.
(d) Clarissa thinks Miss Howe's letter is a forgery.
13. When Lovelace goes to Clarissa's lodgings and she is not there, who does Lovelace leave to spy on her?
(a) His aunt.
14. Who does Clarissa ask to be the executor of her will?
(a) Mr. Hickman.
(b) Miss Howe.
(d) Uncle Antony.
15. What does Brand say about Belford's relationship with Clarissa?
(a) That he thinks Belford is trying to convince Clarissa to leave her money to Belford.
(b) That he thinks Belford is a drug dealer.
(c) That he thinks Belford is Lovelace in disguise.
(d) That he thinks Belford gives Clarissa money.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who refuses to go to Belton's funeral?
2. What do the Hickmans name their daughter?
3. What does Clarissa say about her birthday during her illness?
4. What is Clarissa's coffin like?
5. What do Lovelace's relatives want to give Clarissa to show their regard for her?
This section contains 724 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)