|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Clarissa want to be buried?
(a) In her family's vault.
(b) In Westminster Abbey.
(c) In her grandfather's back yard.
(d) In Lovelace's family's vault.
2. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
(a) Angry with Belford, because he blames the problems in his life on Belford.
(b) He does not believe the doctor and insists on acting like he's fine.
(c) Happy, because he knows he is going to heaven.
(d) Remorseful for his immoral life.
3. When Clarissa's hearse arrives at Harlowe Place, who is following it?
(a) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
(b) A bunch of peasants from the village.
(c) Lovelace's varlets.
(d) Paid mourners.
4. Besides the Harlowes' servants, what other servants does Clarissa leave money to?
(a) The servants of the king.
(b) Widow Sinclair's servants.
(c) The servants of the queen.
(d) The Howes' servants.
5. What does Belford tell Morden when Morden alerts him that James intends to ask him to give up his executorship?
(a) Belford says he will follow the family's wishes.
(b) Belford says the only person he will give the executorship up to is Morden.
(c) Belford says he will not give up his executorship.
(d) Belford says he will do whatever Morden tells him to do.
6. Why does learning what Mr. Brand said in his letter to her family change the way Clarissa thinks about her family's treatment of her?
(a) Because Brand was watching the wrong woman, so everything he told them was about someone else.
(b) Because Brand had been paid off by Mr. Solmes to lie about Clarissa.
(c) Because the information that Brand provided made Clarissa look very bad.
(d) Because Brand told them that they should reconcile with her, but they ignored him.
7. When Clarissa's family say that they don't believe that she is very sick, what does she say will prove it?
(a) A note from her doctor.
(b) Everyone else in the house is getting sick, too.
(c) A photograph that Belford has taken of her.
(d) Her death.
8. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
(a) Mr. Hickman.
(b) Polly and Sally.
(d) Widow Sinclair.
9. What activity does the apothecary recommend Clarissa do less of to improve her health?
(a) Laying around.
(c) Taking opium.
10. Who takes over the Poor Fund after Mrs. Norton's death?
(a) Widow Sinclair.
(b) Widow Lovick.
(c) Mrs. Hickman (formerly Miss Howe).
(d) Mrs. Harlowe.
11. What damaging fact does Mr. Brand report to Clarissa's family?
(a) That Clarissa was seen at a ball dancing with Lovelace and drinking.
(b) That Clarissa's "illness" is really opium addiction.
(c) That Clarissa is faking her illness.
(d) That Clarissa gets frequent visits from Lovelace's friend, Belford.
12. Who writes to Clarissa renewing an old marriage proposal and swearing to stay single as long as Clarissa is available to marry him?
(a) Miss Howe's Uncle Howard Howe.
(b) Mr. Hickman's brother.
(c) Mr. Solmes.
(d) Mr. Wyerley.
13. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
(d) Belford's son.
14. What do James and Arabella think causes their unhappiness in marriage?
(a) Their bad treatment of Clarissa.
(b) The fact that they did not inherit Morden's money.
(c) All marriages are unhappy.
(d) Solmes is out to get them.
15. What does Clarissa say about her birthday during her illness?
(a) Clarissa says she is unhappy about her birthday because she is afraid she is getting old and will soon have gray hair.
(b) Clarissa says her birthday would have been happy if only Lovelace had been there to share it with her.
(c) It is her first unhappy birthday and is likely to be her last one.
(d) It is the best birthday she ever had, because she is not in her parents' house.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which members of Clarissa's family complain about her bequests to Dolly and Mrs. Norton?
2. What is Clarissa's coffin like?
3. Which adjective best describes Clarissa's behavior when discussing her death with the doctor?
4. What does Morden bring Clarissa?
5. What reason does Clarissa's doctor give for saying she does not have to pay him?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)