|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whom does Clarissa leave her miniature portrait of Miss Howe?
(c) Mr. Hickman.
2. Who refuses to go to Belton's funeral?
(b) Lord M.
(d) Belton's son.
3. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
(b) Belford's son.
4. What does Clarissa explain she meant when she said she hoped she would be able to receive Mr. Lovelace in her father's house?
(a) That Lovelace will reform and Clarissa will be able to meet him in heaven.
(b) Clarissa is planning to take legal action against her parents; if she succeeds, she will evict them from Harlowe Place and marry Lovelace there.
(c) Clarissa meant that she would meet Lovelace in the garden at Harlowe Place to marry him before she dies.
(d) That Clarissa hopes her parents will change their minds about Lovelace, and if they do, she will marry him.
5. What part of Clarissa's body does Lovelace say he wants to keep with him?
(a) Her heart.
(b) Her fingernails.
(c) Her hand, since he wanted her hand in marriage.
(d) Her brain.
6. How does Lovelace respond when the dying Clarissa forgives him?
(a) He says he is glad, because now he doesn't have to worry about being punished in the afterlife.
(b) He says he does not forgive her.
(c) He says he is not sure he deserves to be forgiven.
(d) He asks whether she forgave James and Arabella, since the whole thing was really their fault.
7. What does Clarissa say about her birthday during her illness?
(a) Clarissa says her birthday would have been happy if only Lovelace had been there to share it with her.
(b) Clarissa says she is unhappy about her birthday because she is afraid she is getting old and will soon have gray hair.
(c) It is the best birthday she ever had, because she is not in her parents' house.
(d) It is her first unhappy birthday and is likely to be her last one.
8. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
(a) Mr. Hickman.
(b) Polly and Sally.
(c) Widow Sinclair.
9. Who is the Belfords' housekeeper?
(a) Mrs. Howe.
(b) Mrs. Harlowe.
(c) Widow Lovick.
(d) Mrs. Norton.
10. How does Clarissa pay the doctor?
(a) She sells some of her clothes.
(b) She gives the doctor cookies she baked.
(c) She gets money from Lovelace.
(d) She tells the doctor her family will pay him after she dies.
11. What does Hickman tell Belford is causing Miss Howe to delay her marriage to Hickman?
(a) Miss Howe will not marry Hickman while Clarissa is unhappy.
(b) Miss Howe will not marry Hickman until he challenges Lovelace to a duel.
(c) Miss Howe will not marry Hickman until the weather is nicer.
(d) Miss Howe will not marry Hickman until he is as rich as Lovelace.
12. What does Lovelace think about Clarissa's broken heart?
(a) Lovelace believes the doctors are saying Clarissa has a broken heart because they're bad doctors and can not figure out what is really wrong with her.
(b) Lovelace does not believe Clarissa has a broken heart.
(c) Lovelace is glad Clarissa has a broken heart.
(d) Lovelace believes it was Solmes who broke Clarissa's heart.
13. Which adjective best describes Clarissa's behavior when discussing her death with the doctor?
14. What does Arabella say in her letter that arrived after Clarissa's death?
(a) That the family loves Clarissa and will not reproach her.
(b) That Arabella is enjoying Clarissa's room and has taken all her jewelry.
(c) That Arabella is marrying Mr. Wyerley.
(d) That she never wants to see Clarissa again.
15. What reason does Clarissa's doctor give for saying she does not have to pay him?
(a) The doctor says Lovelace should pay him, since he ravished Clarissa.
(b) Some of his visits are social.
(c) The doctor says the government should pay him, since Clarissa is so wonderful.
(d) The doctor wants to marry Clarissa.
Short Answer Questions
1. What languages did Clarissa know well, besides English?
2. Why does Clarissa tell Morden he should not avenge her?
3. Who does Clarissa especially want to prevent from viewing her body?
4. When Lovelace goes to Clarissa's lodgings and she is not there, who does Lovelace leave to spy on her?
5. When the Harlowe family is grieving Clarissa's death, what does Colonel Morden say was Clarissa's only fault?
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)