|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clarissa instruct Belford to be friends with?
(a) Colonel Morden.
(d) The varlets.
2. How does Clarissa pay the doctor?
(a) She gives the doctor cookies she baked.
(b) She gets money from Lovelace.
(c) She tells the doctor her family will pay him after she dies.
(d) She sells some of her clothes.
3. After reading the letter in which Clarissa mentions going to her "father's house," what does Lovelace guess might have changed Clarissa's thinking?
(a) He thinks Colonel Morden persuaded her.
(b) He thinks Belford has persuaded her.
(c) He thinks she is pregnant.
(d) He thinks she always intended to marry him, but didn't want him to know it.
4. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
(a) Angry with Belford, because he blames the problems in his life on Belford.
(b) Happy, because he knows he is going to heaven.
(c) He does not believe the doctor and insists on acting like he's fine.
(d) Remorseful for his immoral life.
5. To whom does Clarissa send the mean letters she received from her family?
(a) Mr. Lovelace.
(c) Colonel Morden.
(d) Mrs. Norton.
6. What does Clarissa do after the charges against her are dropped?
(a) She tries to seduce the jail-keeper.
(b) She refuses to leave the jail at first.
(c) She runs outside and goes to see Miss Howe to celebrate.
(d) She says she wants to stay and teach writing classes for the inmates.
7. Which adjective best describes Clarissa's behavior when discussing her death with the doctor?
8. What does Brand say about Belford's relationship with Clarissa?
(a) That he thinks Belford gives Clarissa money.
(b) That he thinks Belford is a drug dealer.
(c) That he thinks Belford is Lovelace in disguise.
(d) That he thinks Belford is trying to convince Clarissa to leave her money to Belford.
9. What stops Lovelace from killing himself when he learns of Clarissa's death?
(a) He's a coward and stops at the last minute.
(b) Lord M has Lovelace put in a padded cell to protect him.
(c) Will has taken all his weapons away.
(d) Clarissa's ghost appears and tells him to stop.
10. Who are Mr. Mullins and Mr. Wyerley?
(a) Two men who wanted to marry Clarissa.
(b) Clarissa's cousins.
(c) Two of the varlets.
(d) Two policemen who are investigating Lovelace.
11. What does Arabella say in her letter that arrived after Clarissa's death?
(a) That Arabella is enjoying Clarissa's room and has taken all her jewelry.
(b) That she never wants to see Clarissa again.
(c) That Arabella is marrying Mr. Wyerley.
(d) That the family loves Clarissa and will not reproach her.
12. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
(a) Polly and Sally.
(b) Widow Sinclair.
(d) Mr. Hickman.
13. What do Lovelace's relatives want to give Clarissa to show their regard for her?
(a) A quarterly allowance.
(b) All the money Lovelace expects to inherit from Lord M.
(c) All their property.
(d) A lot of jewelry and clothes.
14. What makes Lovelace's family accuse him of evil-doing in relation to Clarissa?
(a) His family knows that all Lovelace ever does is evil.
(b) His family has seen Clarissa's letters to Lovelace.
(c) Lovelace seems to be lying when they ask Lady Betty asks him questions about Clarissa.
(d) Clarissa has a bad reputation, so Lovelace's family assume that Clarissa corrupted Lovelace.
15. When Clarissa's family say that they don't believe that she is very sick, what does she say will prove it?
(a) Everyone else in the house is getting sick, too.
(b) A photograph that Belford has taken of her.
(c) A note from her doctor.
(d) Her death.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Clarissa plan to pay for her funeral?
2. The Harlowes tell Clarissa she must go to America for a few years before she can move back to her estate, and Clarissa agrees to go, if she does not die soon. Which state do they want her to go to?
3. What does Clarissa do with her coffin while she's still alive?
4. What makes Colonel Morden threaten to avenge Clarissa?
5. Who does Clarissa specifically forbid to wear mourning clothes?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)