|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which member of Lovelace's family agrees that Clarissa ought to let Lovelace visit her one last time?
(a) Lord D.
(b) Lord M.
(d) Lovelace's younger brother Robert.
2. After Mr. Harlowe renounces his curse, what does Clarissa write to her mother to ask for?
(a) To restore her joy.
(b) The money her grandfather left her.
(c) A last blessing before she dies.
(d) To be allowed to come home.
3. To whom does Clarissa want her picture of Miss Howe to be given?
(a) Mr. Wyerley.
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Mrs. Howe.
4. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
(b) Belford's son.
5. In Clarissa's posthumous letter to Lovelace, what does she say about her feelings for him?
(a) That she once loved him but now hates him, and expects he will be punished when he dies.
(b) That she liked him a little, but no more than she liked Mr. Solmes.
(c) That she never cared for him.
(d) That she did prefer him and hopes for his reformation.
6. To whom does Clarissa send the mean letters she received from her family?
(b) Mr. Lovelace.
(c) Colonel Morden.
(d) Mrs. Norton.
7. What does Clarissa explain she meant when she said she hoped she would be able to receive Mr. Lovelace in her father's house?
(a) Clarissa meant that she would meet Lovelace in the garden at Harlowe Place to marry him before she dies.
(b) Clarissa is planning to take legal action against her parents; if she succeeds, she will evict them from Harlowe Place and marry Lovelace there.
(c) That Lovelace will reform and Clarissa will be able to meet him in heaven.
(d) That Clarissa hopes her parents will change their minds about Lovelace, and if they do, she will marry him.
8. What does Belford tell Morden when Morden alerts him that James intends to ask him to give up his executorship?
(a) Belford says the only person he will give the executorship up to is Morden.
(b) Belford says he will do whatever Morden tells him to do.
(c) Belford says he will follow the family's wishes.
(d) Belford says he will not give up his executorship.
9. What does Hickman tell Belford is causing Miss Howe to delay her marriage to Hickman?
(a) Miss Howe will not marry Hickman while Clarissa is unhappy.
(b) Miss Howe will not marry Hickman until he challenges Lovelace to a duel.
(c) Miss Howe will not marry Hickman until he is as rich as Lovelace.
(d) Miss Howe will not marry Hickman until the weather is nicer.
10. What makes Colonel Morden threaten to avenge Clarissa?
(a) Morden learns that Clarissa was raped, not seduced.
(b) Morden realizes that Lovelace stole Clarissa's money.
(c) Morden finds out that Clarissa was pregnant.
(d) Morden learns from Brand that everyone is saying Morden's reputation is stained by Clarissa's actions.
11. What is Clarissa's coffin like?
(a) Very fancy and beautiful.
(b) Completely transparent (made out of glass).
(c) Very ugly.
(d) Very plain.
12. How does M'Donald feel while dying?
(a) Sure of going to heaven.
(b) Calm and rational.
(d) Happy to be getting out of jail.
13. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
(a) Angry with Belford, because he blames the problems in his life on Belford.
(b) Remorseful for his immoral life.
(c) He does not believe the doctor and insists on acting like he's fine.
(d) Happy, because he knows he is going to heaven.
14. Who has Clarissa arrested?
(a) Her brother James.
(d) The Widow Sinclair.
15. What does Clarissa do after the charges against her are dropped?
(a) She says she wants to stay and teach writing classes for the inmates.
(b) She refuses to leave the jail at first.
(c) She tries to seduce the jail-keeper.
(d) She runs outside and goes to see Miss Howe to celebrate.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clarissa ask to be the executor of her will?
2. Where does Clarissa want to be buried?
3. What is Colonel Morden's plan for what Clarissa should do if she doesn't die?
4. What does Clarissa say about her birthday during her illness?
5. Besides the Harlowes' servants, what other servants does Clarissa leave money to?
This section contains 791 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)