|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who are Mr. Mullins and Mr. Wyerley?
(a) Two policemen who are investigating Lovelace.
(b) Clarissa's cousins.
(c) Two of the varlets.
(d) Two men who wanted to marry Clarissa.
2. What does Morden bring Clarissa?
(a) A picture of Miss Howe.
(b) A rose diamond ring.
(c) A picture of her mother.
(d) Money from her estate.
3. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
(a) Belford's son.
4. Who (besides Clarissa) asks Belford to be the executor of a will?
(a) Belton and Lovelace.
(b) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
(c) Lord M and Colonel Morden.
(d) Uncle Antony and Uncle Harlowe.
5. What does Arabella say in her letter that arrived after Clarissa's death?
(a) That the family loves Clarissa and will not reproach her.
(b) That Arabella is marrying Mr. Wyerley.
(c) That Arabella is enjoying Clarissa's room and has taken all her jewelry.
(d) That she never wants to see Clarissa again.
6. What does Brand say about Belford's relationship with Clarissa?
(a) That he thinks Belford is a drug dealer.
(b) That he thinks Belford gives Clarissa money.
(c) That he thinks Belford is trying to convince Clarissa to leave her money to Belford.
(d) That he thinks Belford is Lovelace in disguise.
7. What does Clarissa say about her birthday during her illness?
(a) It is the best birthday she ever had, because she is not in her parents' house.
(b) Clarissa says she is unhappy about her birthday because she is afraid she is getting old and will soon have gray hair.
(c) Clarissa says her birthday would have been happy if only Lovelace had been there to share it with her.
(d) It is her first unhappy birthday and is likely to be her last one.
8. What makes Colonel Morden threaten to avenge Clarissa?
(a) Morden learns that Clarissa was raped, not seduced.
(b) Morden realizes that Lovelace stole Clarissa's money.
(c) Morden learns from Brand that everyone is saying Morden's reputation is stained by Clarissa's actions.
(d) Morden finds out that Clarissa was pregnant.
9. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
(a) Remorseful for his immoral life.
(b) He does not believe the doctor and insists on acting like he's fine.
(c) Angry with Belford, because he blames the problems in his life on Belford.
(d) Happy, because he knows he is going to heaven.
10. What do the Hickmans name their daughter?
(c) Miss Howe, Jr.
11. How does M'Donald feel while dying?
(a) Happy to be getting out of jail.
(b) Sure of going to heaven.
(c) Calm and rational.
12. How does Clarissa pay the doctor?
(a) She gives the doctor cookies she baked.
(b) She tells the doctor her family will pay him after she dies.
(c) She sells some of her clothes.
(d) She gets money from Lovelace.
13. What weapons do Lovelace and Morden use to fight?
(a) Bare hands.
14. What makes Lovelace's family accuse him of evil-doing in relation to Clarissa?
(a) Clarissa has a bad reputation, so Lovelace's family assume that Clarissa corrupted Lovelace.
(b) His family has seen Clarissa's letters to Lovelace.
(c) Lovelace seems to be lying when they ask Lady Betty asks him questions about Clarissa.
(d) His family knows that all Lovelace ever does is evil.
15. What is Colonel Morden's plan for what Clarissa should do if she doesn't die?
(a) Marry Mr. Wyerley, if he will still have her.
(b) Go hide in Pennsylvania.
(c) Travel with Colonel Morden for several years.
(d) Live with Miss Howe.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Harlowe family is grieving Clarissa's death, what does Colonel Morden say was Clarissa's only fault?
2. What part of Clarissa's body does Lovelace say he wants to keep with him?
3. What reason does Clarissa's doctor give for saying she does not have to pay him?
4. When Lovelace goes to Clarissa's lodgings and she is not there, who does Lovelace leave to spy on her?
5. Besides the Harlowes' servants, what other servants does Clarissa leave money to?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)