|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lovelace respond when the dying Clarissa forgives him?
(a) He asks whether she forgave James and Arabella, since the whole thing was really their fault.
(b) He says he is glad, because now he doesn't have to worry about being punished in the afterlife.
(c) He says he is not sure he deserves to be forgiven.
(d) He says he does not forgive her.
2. Why does Clarissa want copies of Lovelace's letters to Belford?
(a) Because Clarissa wants to write a novel about everything that has happened to her.
(b) Because Clarissa suspects that Belford encouraged Lovelace to mistreat her.
(c) Because Clarissa hopes that if she reads these letters, she will be able to tell whether or not Lovelace really loves her.
(d) Because the Howes want to know all the details of Clarissa's story.
3. When Lovelace talks to Hickman, he says Clarissa lets someone else court her. Who?
(a) The God of Love.
4. What does Clarissa do after the charges against her are dropped?
(a) She tries to seduce the jail-keeper.
(b) She refuses to leave the jail at first.
(c) She runs outside and goes to see Miss Howe to celebrate.
(d) She says she wants to stay and teach writing classes for the inmates.
5. Who has Clarissa arrested?
(a) Her brother James.
(d) The Widow Sinclair.
6. Who does Colonel Morden disinherit?
7. Who does Clarissa especially want to prevent from viewing her body?
(a) The varlets.
(b) Widow Sinclair.
(d) Miss Howe.
8. What activity does the apothecary recommend Clarissa do less of to improve her health?
(c) Taking opium.
(d) Laying around.
9. Why does Colonel Morden hide from Clarissa?
(a) He is afraid to see her because he feels guilty about not having helped her more.
(b) He doesn't want to shock her, since she hasn't seen him in a long time and she is sick.
(c) He knows Clarissa hates when people watch her sleeping, so he doesn't want her to know he was doing that.
(d) He thinks it would cheer her up if he jumped out from behind the curtains.
10. Who does Lovelace hope to see at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
(a) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
(b) Colonel Ambrose and Lord M.
(c) Uncle Antony and Uncle Harlowe.
(d) Polly and Sally.
11. Which member of Lovelace's family agrees that Clarissa ought to let Lovelace visit her one last time?
(a) Lovelace's younger brother Robert.
(b) Lord D.
(d) Lord M.
12. Who does Clarissa ask to be the executor of her will?
(a) Miss Howe.
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(d) Uncle Antony.
13. Who writes to Clarissa renewing an old marriage proposal and swearing to stay single as long as Clarissa is available to marry him?
(a) Miss Howe's Uncle Howard Howe.
(b) Mr. Solmes.
(c) Mr. Wyerley.
(d) Mr. Hickman's brother.
14. How does M'Donald feel while dying?
(a) Sure of going to heaven.
(c) Happy to be getting out of jail.
(d) Calm and rational.
15. Who, besides Lovelace, does Morden almost fight when he meets with Lovelace?
(a) Mr. Mowbray.
(b) Mr. Harlowe.
(c) Mr. Hickman.
(d) Uncle Antony.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
2. What part of Clarissa's body does Lovelace say he wants to keep with him?
3. What does Arabella say in her letter that arrived after Clarissa's death?
4. Which adjectives best describe Miss Howe's state of mind while viewing Clarissa's corpse?
5. Where does Clarissa want to be buried?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)