|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What stops Lovelace from killing himself when he learns of Clarissa's death?
(a) He's a coward and stops at the last minute.
(b) Will has taken all his weapons away.
(c) Lord M has Lovelace put in a padded cell to protect him.
(d) Clarissa's ghost appears and tells him to stop.
2. Why does Morden criticize Miss Howe?
(a) For not being very smart.
(b) For not being serious enough.
(c) For not mourning Clarissa enough.
(d) For not marrying Hickman quickly, as Clarissa asked her to.
3. When most of Clarissa's family agrees to let Mrs. Norton go to visit Clarissa while she is dying, which member of the family holds out?
(a) Aunt Antonia.
(c) Mrs. Howe.
(d) Uncle Antony.
4. Why does Miss Howe say Clarissa's death makes it hard for her to marry Hickman?
(a) Because Hickman is busy being Clarissa's executor.
(b) Because Mrs. Howe doesn't trust men any more, after what happened to Clarissa.
(c) Because Hickman doesn't care about Miss Howe as much now that Clarissa is dead.
(d) Because she wants Clarissa's advice to help her get used to being a wife.
5. Who takes over the Poor Fund after Mrs. Norton's death?
(a) Widow Sinclair.
(b) Mrs. Harlowe.
(c) Widow Lovick.
(d) Mrs. Hickman (formerly Miss Howe).
6. Who does Clarissa instruct Belford to be friends with?
(a) The varlets.
(c) Colonel Morden.
7. What does Mrs. Lovick tell Lovelace gives Clarissa the strength to leave the house?
(b) Clarissa's fear of Lovelace.
(c) Clarissa's love of Solmes.
(d) Clarissa's fear of her father.
8. Why does Belford have to leave Clarissa's neighborhood to visit Belton?
(a) Because Lovelace wants Belford to leave so he can visit Clarissa alone.
(b) Because Belton is giving a ball, and Belford has to be there.
(c) Because Belton promised Belford a lot of money for visiting him.
(d) Because Belton is dying.
9. To whom does Clarissa want her picture of Miss Howe to be given?
(a) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Mr. Wyerley.
(d) Mrs. Howe.
10. Who refuses to go to Belton's funeral?
(a) Belton's son.
(d) Lord M.
11. Who does Clarissa specifically forbid to wear mourning clothes?
(a) Miss Howe.
(d) Widow Sinclair.
12. When Clarissa's hearse arrives at Harlowe Place, who is following it?
(a) A bunch of peasants from the village.
(b) Lovelace's varlets.
(c) Paid mourners.
(d) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
13. Which adjectives best describe Miss Howe's state of mind while viewing Clarissa's corpse?
(a) Frantic and mournful.
(b) Calm and peaceful.
(c) Amused and skeptical.
(d) Angry and confused.
14. When Lovelace goes to Clarissa's lodgings and she is not there, who does Lovelace leave to spy on her?
(b) His aunt.
15. What languages did Clarissa know well, besides English?
(a) Spanish and Chinese.
(b) German and Russian.
(c) Latin and Greek.
(d) French and Italian.
Short Answer Questions
1. What language was Clarissa learning before her death?
2. When Clarissa's family say that they don't believe that she is very sick, what does she say will prove it?
3. Who does Clarissa especially want to prevent from viewing her body?
4. When Lovelace talks to Hickman, he says Clarissa lets someone else court her. Who?
5. What errand does Miss Howe have in London, which means she will be able to visit Clarissa?
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)