|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do James and Arabella think causes their unhappiness in marriage?
(a) The fact that they did not inherit Morden's money.
(b) Their bad treatment of Clarissa.
(c) All marriages are unhappy.
(d) Solmes is out to get them.
2. Which members of Clarissa's family complain about her bequests to Dolly and Mrs. Norton?
(a) Sally and Polly.
(b) James and Arabella.
(c) Mr. and Mrs. Howe.
(d) Dolly and Mrs. Norton.
3. Why does Miss Howe say Clarissa's death makes it hard for her to marry Hickman?
(a) Because she wants Clarissa's advice to help her get used to being a wife.
(b) Because Hickman doesn't care about Miss Howe as much now that Clarissa is dead.
(c) Because Hickman is busy being Clarissa's executor.
(d) Because Mrs. Howe doesn't trust men any more, after what happened to Clarissa.
4. What language was Clarissa learning before her death?
5. Who mocks Belford and Belton while Belton is dying?
(b) Uncle Harlowe.
6. To whom does Clarissa want her picture of Miss Howe to be given?
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Mr. Wyerley.
(d) Mrs. Howe.
7. Who does Clarissa ask to be the executor of her will?
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Uncle Antony.
(d) Miss Howe.
8. What reason does Clarissa give Charlotte for continuing to refuse to marry Lovelace?
(a) If Clarissa married Lovelace, she would appear to be approving of his actions, and that would make her unworthy to be associated with the Lovelace family.
(b) Clarissa is in love with Mr. Solmes.
(c) Clarissa does not believe she is strong enough to stand up for a wedding ceremony.
(d) The Lovelace family is not worthy of Clarissa.
9. What activity does the apothecary recommend Clarissa do less of to improve her health?
(a) Taking opium.
(d) Laying around.
10. How does Clarissa pay the doctor?
(a) She gives the doctor cookies she baked.
(b) She gets money from Lovelace.
(c) She tells the doctor her family will pay him after she dies.
(d) She sells some of her clothes.
11. What is Colonel Morden's plan for what Clarissa should do if she doesn't die?
(a) Go hide in Pennsylvania.
(b) Marry Mr. Wyerley, if he will still have her.
(c) Live with Miss Howe.
(d) Travel with Colonel Morden for several years.
12. Why does learning what Mr. Brand said in his letter to her family change the way Clarissa thinks about her family's treatment of her?
(a) Because Brand was watching the wrong woman, so everything he told them was about someone else.
(b) Because Brand had been paid off by Mr. Solmes to lie about Clarissa.
(c) Because Brand told them that they should reconcile with her, but they ignored him.
(d) Because the information that Brand provided made Clarissa look very bad.
13. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
(a) Remorseful for his immoral life.
(b) Happy, because he knows he is going to heaven.
(c) He does not believe the doctor and insists on acting like he's fine.
(d) Angry with Belford, because he blames the problems in his life on Belford.
14. Who has Clarissa arrested?
(c) The Widow Sinclair.
(d) Her brother James.
15. What errand does Miss Howe have in London, which means she will be able to visit Clarissa?
(a) Shopping for her own coffin.
(b) Meeting with a lawyer to write her own will.
(c) Buying wedding clothes.
(d) Visiting her aunt on the Isle of Wight.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lovelace goes to Clarissa's lodgings and she is not there, who does Lovelace leave to spy on her?
2. What part of Clarissa's body does Lovelace say he wants to keep with him?
3. Why doesn't Clarissa respond to Miss Howe's letter suggesting she put herself under Lady Betty's protection and marry Lovelace?
4. Which member of Lovelace's family agrees that Clarissa ought to let Lovelace visit her one last time?
5. Besides the Harlowes' servants, what other servants does Clarissa leave money to?
This section contains 699 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)