|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clarissa instruct Belford to be friends with?
(a) Colonel Morden.
(b) The varlets.
2. What stops Lovelace from killing himself when he learns of Clarissa's death?
(a) He's a coward and stops at the last minute.
(b) Clarissa's ghost appears and tells him to stop.
(c) Will has taken all his weapons away.
(d) Lord M has Lovelace put in a padded cell to protect him.
3. What does Clarissa explain she meant when she said she hoped she would be able to receive Mr. Lovelace in her father's house?
(a) Clarissa meant that she would meet Lovelace in the garden at Harlowe Place to marry him before she dies.
(b) Clarissa is planning to take legal action against her parents; if she succeeds, she will evict them from Harlowe Place and marry Lovelace there.
(c) That Lovelace will reform and Clarissa will be able to meet him in heaven.
(d) That Clarissa hopes her parents will change their minds about Lovelace, and if they do, she will marry him.
4. After reading the letter in which Clarissa mentions going to her "father's house," what does Lovelace guess might have changed Clarissa's thinking?
(a) He thinks she is pregnant.
(b) He thinks she always intended to marry him, but didn't want him to know it.
(c) He thinks Colonel Morden persuaded her.
(d) He thinks Belford has persuaded her.
5. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
(a) Remorseful for his immoral life.
(b) Happy, because he knows he is going to heaven.
(c) He does not believe the doctor and insists on acting like he's fine.
(d) Angry with Belford, because he blames the problems in his life on Belford.
6. Which adjective best describes Clarissa's behavior when discussing her death with the doctor?
7. When Clarissa's family say that they don't believe that she is very sick, what does she say will prove it?
(a) A photograph that Belford has taken of her.
(b) Her death.
(c) Everyone else in the house is getting sick, too.
(d) A note from her doctor.
8. Who has Clarissa arrested?
(a) Her brother James.
(b) The Widow Sinclair.
9. In Clarissa's posthumous letter to Lovelace, what does she say about her feelings for him?
(a) That she never cared for him.
(b) That she did prefer him and hopes for his reformation.
(c) That she once loved him but now hates him, and expects he will be punished when he dies.
(d) That she liked him a little, but no more than she liked Mr. Solmes.
10. When Lovelace goes to Clarissa's lodgings and she is not there, who does Lovelace leave to spy on her?
(d) His aunt.
11. What are the Harlowes doing when they get the news of Clarissa's death?
(a) Talking about the fact that they don't think Clarissa is really very sick.
(b) Packing to go on vacation.
(c) Preparing to throw a ball to celebrate Arabella's engagement.
(d) Watching James fight a duel.
12. What damaging fact does Mr. Brand report to Clarissa's family?
(a) That Clarissa was seen at a ball dancing with Lovelace and drinking.
(b) That Clarissa is faking her illness.
(c) That Clarissa gets frequent visits from Lovelace's friend, Belford.
(d) That Clarissa's "illness" is really opium addiction.
13. Who does James ask Belford to turn the executorship over to?
(a) Clarissa's Uncle Antony and Uncle Harlowe.
(b) James and Mr. Harlowe.
(c) Mr. Hickman.
(d) James and Arabella.
14. What does Arabella say in her letter that arrived after Clarissa's death?
(a) That she never wants to see Clarissa again.
(b) That the family loves Clarissa and will not reproach her.
(c) That Arabella is enjoying Clarissa's room and has taken all her jewelry.
(d) That Arabella is marrying Mr. Wyerley.
15. When Belford criticizes Clarissa's family for its stubbornness, how does Clarissa respond?
(a) Clarissa asks Belford if he will write to her family and tell them what he said about them.
(b) Clarissa says Belford is not being severe enough.
(c) Clarissa says Belford is right, and her family will suffer in the afterlife for the way they have treated her.
(d) Clarissa tells Belford he doesn't have the right to criticize her family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who, besides Lovelace, does Morden almost fight when he meets with Lovelace?
2. What does Clarissa do with her coffin while she's still alive?
3. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
4. Who is the Belfords' housekeeper?
5. Who offers to adopt Clarissa as his own daughter?
This section contains 778 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)