|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Morden bring Clarissa?
(a) A picture of Miss Howe.
(b) Money from her estate.
(c) A picture of her mother.
(d) A rose diamond ring.
2. What is Colonel Morden's plan for what Clarissa should do if she doesn't die?
(a) Go hide in Pennsylvania.
(b) Marry Mr. Wyerley, if he will still have her.
(c) Travel with Colonel Morden for several years.
(d) Live with Miss Howe.
3. What does Clarissa do with her coffin while she's still alive?
(a) Lays in it to pretend she is a vampire.
(b) Stares at it all the time, mumbling about how she does not want to die.
(c) Uses it as a desk.
(d) Asks other people to lay in it when they want to talk to her.
4. Why does Clarissa tell Morden he should not avenge her?
(a) Because vengeance is God's job.
(b) Because Lovelace is good with a sword and will kill Morden.
(c) Because she always loved Lovelace.
(d) Because if he kills Lovelace, Lord M will come to kill Morden.
5. What do Lovelace's relatives want to give Clarissa to show their regard for her?
(a) A quarterly allowance.
(b) All the money Lovelace expects to inherit from Lord M.
(c) All their property.
(d) A lot of jewelry and clothes.
6. Why does learning what Mr. Brand said in his letter to her family change the way Clarissa thinks about her family's treatment of her?
(a) Because the information that Brand provided made Clarissa look very bad.
(b) Because Brand had been paid off by Mr. Solmes to lie about Clarissa.
(c) Because Brand told them that they should reconcile with her, but they ignored him.
(d) Because Brand was watching the wrong woman, so everything he told them was about someone else.
7. Which adjectives best describe Miss Howe's state of mind while viewing Clarissa's corpse?
(a) Frantic and mournful.
(b) Amused and skeptical.
(c) Calm and peaceful.
(d) Angry and confused.
8. To whom does Clarissa leave her music books and library?
9. Who does Clarissa instruct Belford to be friends with?
(a) The varlets.
(c) Colonel Morden.
10. Why does Morden criticize Miss Howe?
(a) For not mourning Clarissa enough.
(b) For not being serious enough.
(c) For not being very smart.
(d) For not marrying Hickman quickly, as Clarissa asked her to.
11. What activity does the apothecary recommend Clarissa do less of to improve her health?
(c) Laying around.
(d) Taking opium.
12. What does Clarissa explain she meant when she said she hoped she would be able to receive Mr. Lovelace in her father's house?
(a) Clarissa meant that she would meet Lovelace in the garden at Harlowe Place to marry him before she dies.
(b) That Clarissa hopes her parents will change their minds about Lovelace, and if they do, she will marry him.
(c) Clarissa is planning to take legal action against her parents; if she succeeds, she will evict them from Harlowe Place and marry Lovelace there.
(d) That Lovelace will reform and Clarissa will be able to meet him in heaven.
13. Which adjective best describes Clarissa's behavior when discussing her death with the doctor?
14. What reason does Clarissa give Charlotte for continuing to refuse to marry Lovelace?
(a) If Clarissa married Lovelace, she would appear to be approving of his actions, and that would make her unworthy to be associated with the Lovelace family.
(b) Clarissa is in love with Mr. Solmes.
(c) The Lovelace family is not worthy of Clarissa.
(d) Clarissa does not believe she is strong enough to stand up for a wedding ceremony.
15. After Mr. Harlowe renounces his curse, what does Clarissa write to her mother to ask for?
(a) A last blessing before she dies.
(b) The money her grandfather left her.
(c) To be allowed to come home.
(d) To restore her joy.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Clarissa arrested?
2. How does M'Donald feel while dying?
3. What are the Harlowes doing when they get the news of Clarissa's death?
4. What does Lovelace think about Clarissa's broken heart?
5. To whom does Clarissa send the mean letters she received from her family?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)