|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clarissa especially want to prevent from viewing her body?
(b) Miss Howe.
(c) Widow Sinclair.
(d) The varlets.
2. What languages did Clarissa know well, besides English?
(a) Spanish and Chinese.
(b) Latin and Greek.
(c) German and Russian.
(d) French and Italian.
3. When most of Clarissa's family agrees to let Mrs. Norton go to visit Clarissa while she is dying, which member of the family holds out?
(a) Mrs. Howe.
(b) Aunt Antonia.
(c) Uncle Antony.
4. After Mr. Harlowe renounces his curse, what does Clarissa write to her mother to ask for?
(a) A last blessing before she dies.
(b) The money her grandfather left her.
(c) To restore her joy.
(d) To be allowed to come home.
5. Which adjectives best describe Miss Howe's state of mind while viewing Clarissa's corpse?
(a) Frantic and mournful.
(b) Angry and confused.
(c) Amused and skeptical.
(d) Calm and peaceful.
6. What damaging fact does Mr. Brand report to Clarissa's family?
(a) That Clarissa gets frequent visits from Lovelace's friend, Belford.
(b) That Clarissa is faking her illness.
(c) That Clarissa's "illness" is really opium addiction.
(d) That Clarissa was seen at a ball dancing with Lovelace and drinking.
7. How does Morden feel after the duel?
(c) The reader can not tell.
(d) He doesn't feel anything, because he faints.
8. Who does Lovelace hope to see at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
(a) Polly and Sally.
(b) Colonel Ambrose and Lord M.
(c) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
(d) Uncle Antony and Uncle Harlowe.
9. What reason does Clarissa's doctor give for saying she does not have to pay him?
(a) The doctor says the government should pay him, since Clarissa is so wonderful.
(b) Some of his visits are social.
(c) The doctor says Lovelace should pay him, since he ravished Clarissa.
(d) The doctor wants to marry Clarissa.
10. After reading the letter in which Clarissa mentions going to her "father's house," what does Lovelace guess might have changed Clarissa's thinking?
(a) He thinks she is pregnant.
(b) He thinks she always intended to marry him, but didn't want him to know it.
(c) He thinks Colonel Morden persuaded her.
(d) He thinks Belford has persuaded her.
11. When Lovelace goes to Clarissa's lodgings and she is not there, who does Lovelace leave to spy on her?
(a) His aunt.
12. In Clarissa's posthumous letter to Lovelace, what does she say about her feelings for him?
(a) That she once loved him but now hates him, and expects he will be punished when he dies.
(b) That she did prefer him and hopes for his reformation.
(c) That she liked him a little, but no more than she liked Mr. Solmes.
(d) That she never cared for him.
13. Why does Morden criticize Miss Howe?
(a) For not mourning Clarissa enough.
(b) For not being serious enough.
(c) For not marrying Hickman quickly, as Clarissa asked her to.
(d) For not being very smart.
14. What are the Harlowes doing when they get the news of Clarissa's death?
(a) Preparing to throw a ball to celebrate Arabella's engagement.
(b) Packing to go on vacation.
(c) Watching James fight a duel.
(d) Talking about the fact that they don't think Clarissa is really very sick.
15. Who does James ask Belford to turn the executorship over to?
(a) James and Arabella.
(b) Clarissa's Uncle Antony and Uncle Harlowe.
(c) James and Mr. Harlowe.
(d) Mr. Hickman.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who writes to Clarissa renewing an old marriage proposal and swearing to stay single as long as Clarissa is available to marry him?
2. Why does learning what Mr. Brand said in his letter to her family change the way Clarissa thinks about her family's treatment of her?
3. To whom does Clarissa want her picture of Miss Howe to be given?
4. What errand does Miss Howe have in London, which means she will be able to visit Clarissa?
5. What do the Hickmans name their daughter?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)