|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Colonel Morden threaten to avenge Clarissa?
(a) Morden learns that Clarissa was raped, not seduced.
(b) Morden realizes that Lovelace stole Clarissa's money.
(c) Morden finds out that Clarissa was pregnant.
(d) Morden learns from Brand that everyone is saying Morden's reputation is stained by Clarissa's actions.
2. Why does Clarissa want copies of Lovelace's letters to Belford?
(a) Because Clarissa wants to write a novel about everything that has happened to her.
(b) Because Clarissa hopes that if she reads these letters, she will be able to tell whether or not Lovelace really loves her.
(c) Because the Howes want to know all the details of Clarissa's story.
(d) Because Clarissa suspects that Belford encouraged Lovelace to mistreat her.
3. To whom does Clarissa leave her music books and library?
4. Who is the Belfords' housekeeper?
(a) Mrs. Howe.
(b) Mrs. Norton.
(c) Widow Lovick.
(d) Mrs. Harlowe.
5. When Clarissa's hearse arrives at Harlowe Place, who is following it?
(a) A bunch of peasants from the village.
(b) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
(c) Paid mourners.
(d) Lovelace's varlets.
6. What is Clarissa's coffin like?
(a) Completely transparent (made out of glass).
(b) Very ugly.
(c) Very fancy and beautiful.
(d) Very plain.
7. Who inherits the lands that were supposed to go to Lovelace?
(a) Belford's son.
8. What are Lovelace's last words?
(a) "I don't want to die"
(b) "The devil is coming for me."
(c) "Let this explain."
(d) "Let this expiate."
9. When most of Clarissa's family agrees to let Mrs. Norton go to visit Clarissa while she is dying, which member of the family holds out?
(b) Uncle Antony.
(c) Aunt Antonia.
(d) Mrs. Howe.
10. Why does Belford have to leave Clarissa's neighborhood to visit Belton?
(a) Because Lovelace wants Belford to leave so he can visit Clarissa alone.
(b) Because Belton is dying.
(c) Because Belton promised Belford a lot of money for visiting him.
(d) Because Belton is giving a ball, and Belford has to be there.
11. How does Widow Sinclair act when Belford tells her she's dying?
(a) She does not believe him.
(b) Calm and practical.
(c) She laughs and tells him everyone's dying and she doesn't care.
12. When Lovelace goes to Clarissa's lodgings and she is not there, who does Lovelace leave to spy on her?
(b) His aunt.
13. Who (besides Clarissa) asks Belford to be the executor of a will?
(a) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
(b) Uncle Antony and Uncle Harlowe.
(c) Lord M and Colonel Morden.
(d) Belton and Lovelace.
14. Who mocks Belford and Belton while Belton is dying?
(c) Uncle Harlowe.
15. What does Belford tell Morden when Morden alerts him that James intends to ask him to give up his executorship?
(a) Belford says he will not give up his executorship.
(b) Belford says the only person he will give the executorship up to is Morden.
(c) Belford says he will follow the family's wishes.
(d) Belford says he will do whatever Morden tells him to do.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who has Clarissa arrested?
2. What stops Lovelace from killing himself when he learns of Clarissa's death?
3. Which adjectives best describe Miss Howe's state of mind while viewing Clarissa's corpse?
4. Why does Belford beg Lovelace not to visit Clarissa?
5. Who, besides Lovelace, does Morden almost fight when he meets with Lovelace?
This section contains 626 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)