|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who does Clarissa specifically forbid to wear mourning clothes?
(a) Widow Sinclair.
(d) Miss Howe.
2. To whom does Clarissa leave her music books and library?
3. What reason does Clarissa's doctor give for saying she does not have to pay him?
(a) Some of his visits are social.
(b) The doctor says the government should pay him, since Clarissa is so wonderful.
(c) The doctor says Lovelace should pay him, since he ravished Clarissa.
(d) The doctor wants to marry Clarissa.
4. After Mr. Harlowe renounces his curse, what does Clarissa write to her mother to ask for?
(a) To restore her joy.
(b) A last blessing before she dies.
(c) To be allowed to come home.
(d) The money her grandfather left her.
5. Why does Morden criticize Miss Howe?
(a) For not marrying Hickman quickly, as Clarissa asked her to.
(b) For not being very smart.
(c) For not being serious enough.
(d) For not mourning Clarissa enough.
6. What makes Lovelace's family accuse him of evil-doing in relation to Clarissa?
(a) Clarissa has a bad reputation, so Lovelace's family assume that Clarissa corrupted Lovelace.
(b) His family knows that all Lovelace ever does is evil.
(c) His family has seen Clarissa's letters to Lovelace.
(d) Lovelace seems to be lying when they ask Lady Betty asks him questions about Clarissa.
7. What damaging fact does Mr. Brand report to Clarissa's family?
(a) That Clarissa was seen at a ball dancing with Lovelace and drinking.
(b) That Clarissa gets frequent visits from Lovelace's friend, Belford.
(c) That Clarissa's "illness" is really opium addiction.
(d) That Clarissa is faking her illness.
8. Why does Clarissa want copies of Lovelace's letters to Belford?
(a) Because Clarissa suspects that Belford encouraged Lovelace to mistreat her.
(b) Because Clarissa wants to write a novel about everything that has happened to her.
(c) Because the Howes want to know all the details of Clarissa's story.
(d) Because Clarissa hopes that if she reads these letters, she will be able to tell whether or not Lovelace really loves her.
9. How does Lovelace respond when the dying Clarissa forgives him?
(a) He asks whether she forgave James and Arabella, since the whole thing was really their fault.
(b) He says he is not sure he deserves to be forgiven.
(c) He says he does not forgive her.
(d) He says he is glad, because now he doesn't have to worry about being punished in the afterlife.
10. What are Lovelace's last words?
(a) "Let this explain."
(b) "Let this expiate."
(c) "I don't want to die"
(d) "The devil is coming for me."
11. Which adjectives best describe Miss Howe's state of mind while viewing Clarissa's corpse?
(a) Angry and confused.
(b) Amused and skeptical.
(c) Frantic and mournful.
(d) Calm and peaceful.
12. What is Clarissa's coffin like?
(a) Very fancy and beautiful.
(b) Very ugly.
(c) Completely transparent (made out of glass).
(d) Very plain.
13. What does Clarissa do with her coffin while she's still alive?
(a) Stares at it all the time, mumbling about how she does not want to die.
(b) Asks other people to lay in it when they want to talk to her.
(c) Uses it as a desk.
(d) Lays in it to pretend she is a vampire.
14. Who does Colonel Morden disinherit?
15. Besides the Harlowes' servants, what other servants does Clarissa leave money to?
(a) The Howes' servants.
(b) The servants of the king.
(c) The servants of the queen.
(d) Widow Sinclair's servants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clarissa tell Miss Howe to be nicer to?
2. How does Widow Sinclair act when Belford tells her she's dying?
3. To whom does Clarissa leave her miniature portrait of Miss Howe?
4. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
5. What part of Clarissa's body does Lovelace say he wants to keep with him?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)