|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lovelace think about Clarissa's broken heart?
(a) Lovelace believes the doctors are saying Clarissa has a broken heart because they're bad doctors and can not figure out what is really wrong with her.
(b) Lovelace believes it was Solmes who broke Clarissa's heart.
(c) Lovelace does not believe Clarissa has a broken heart.
(d) Lovelace is glad Clarissa has a broken heart.
2. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
(a) Happy, because he knows he is going to heaven.
(b) He does not believe the doctor and insists on acting like he's fine.
(c) Angry with Belford, because he blames the problems in his life on Belford.
(d) Remorseful for his immoral life.
3. Who takes over the Poor Fund after Mrs. Norton's death?
(a) Widow Lovick.
(b) Mrs. Hickman (formerly Miss Howe).
(c) Mrs. Harlowe.
(d) Widow Sinclair.
4. What part of Clarissa's body does Lovelace say he wants to keep with him?
(a) Her brain.
(b) Her heart.
(c) Her fingernails.
(d) Her hand, since he wanted her hand in marriage.
5. What does Clarissa say about her birthday during her illness?
(a) Clarissa says her birthday would have been happy if only Lovelace had been there to share it with her.
(b) Clarissa says she is unhappy about her birthday because she is afraid she is getting old and will soon have gray hair.
(c) It is the best birthday she ever had, because she is not in her parents' house.
(d) It is her first unhappy birthday and is likely to be her last one.
6. Which family member recommends to Clarissa to stop seeing Belford, in hopes that she might be able to reconcile with the rest of the family if she does?
(b) Clarissa's mother.
(c) Uncle Antony.
(d) Clarissa's father.
7. What reason does Clarissa's doctor give for saying she does not have to pay him?
(a) Some of his visits are social.
(b) The doctor wants to marry Clarissa.
(c) The doctor says the government should pay him, since Clarissa is so wonderful.
(d) The doctor says Lovelace should pay him, since he ravished Clarissa.
8. To whom does Clarissa leave her music books and library?
9. What do Lovelace's relatives want to give Clarissa to show their regard for her?
(a) All their property.
(b) A lot of jewelry and clothes.
(c) All the money Lovelace expects to inherit from Lord M.
(d) A quarterly allowance.
10. Who writes to Clarissa renewing an old marriage proposal and swearing to stay single as long as Clarissa is available to marry him?
(a) Mr. Hickman's brother.
(b) Miss Howe's Uncle Howard Howe.
(c) Mr. Wyerley.
(d) Mr. Solmes.
11. What does Clarissa do with her coffin while she's still alive?
(a) Stares at it all the time, mumbling about how she does not want to die.
(b) Asks other people to lay in it when they want to talk to her.
(c) Lays in it to pretend she is a vampire.
(d) Uses it as a desk.
12. Who does Lovelace hope to see at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
(a) Polly and Sally.
(b) Colonel Ambrose and Lord M.
(c) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
(d) Uncle Antony and Uncle Harlowe.
13. Who, besides Lovelace, does Morden almost fight when he meets with Lovelace?
(a) Mr. Mowbray.
(b) Mr. Harlowe.
(c) Uncle Antony.
(d) Mr. Hickman.
14. What does Mrs. Lovick tell Lovelace gives Clarissa the strength to leave the house?
(a) Clarissa's fear of her father.
(c) Clarissa's fear of Lovelace.
(d) Clarissa's love of Solmes.
15. What errand does Miss Howe have in London, which means she will be able to visit Clarissa?
(a) Buying wedding clothes.
(b) Meeting with a lawyer to write her own will.
(c) Shopping for her own coffin.
(d) Visiting her aunt on the Isle of Wight.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Clarissa instruct Belford to be friends with?
2. In Clarissa's posthumous letter to Lovelace, what does she say about her feelings for him?
3. What does Belford tell Morden when Morden alerts him that James intends to ask him to give up his executorship?
4. Besides the Harlowes' servants, what other servants does Clarissa leave money to?
5. When Lovelace talks to Hickman, he says Clarissa lets someone else court her. Who?
This section contains 773 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)