|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Lovelace think about Clarissa's broken heart?
(a) Lovelace believes it was Solmes who broke Clarissa's heart.
(b) Lovelace is glad Clarissa has a broken heart.
(c) Lovelace does not believe Clarissa has a broken heart.
(d) Lovelace believes the doctors are saying Clarissa has a broken heart because they're bad doctors and can not figure out what is really wrong with her.
2. What part of Clarissa's body does Lovelace say he wants to keep with him?
(a) Her hand, since he wanted her hand in marriage.
(b) Her brain.
(c) Her heart.
(d) Her fingernails.
3. What do Lovelace's relatives want to give Clarissa to show their regard for her?
(a) A lot of jewelry and clothes.
(b) All the money Lovelace expects to inherit from Lord M.
(c) All their property.
(d) A quarterly allowance.
4. Who does Clarissa specifically forbid to wear mourning clothes?
(a) Widow Sinclair.
(b) Miss Howe.
5. Who does Lovelace hope to see at Colonel Ambrose's ball?
(a) Colonel Ambrose and Lord M.
(b) Uncle Antony and Uncle Harlowe.
(c) Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman.
(d) Polly and Sally.
6. In Clarissa's posthumous letter to Lovelace, what does she say about her feelings for him?
(a) That she liked him a little, but no more than she liked Mr. Solmes.
(b) That she once loved him but now hates him, and expects he will be punished when he dies.
(c) That she did prefer him and hopes for his reformation.
(d) That she never cared for him.
7. Who does Colonel Morden disinherit?
8. When Belton knows he is dying, how does he feel?
(a) Happy, because he knows he is going to heaven.
(b) Angry with Belford, because he blames the problems in his life on Belford.
(c) Remorseful for his immoral life.
(d) He does not believe the doctor and insists on acting like he's fine.
9. Why does learning what Mr. Brand said in his letter to her family change the way Clarissa thinks about her family's treatment of her?
(a) Because Brand told them that they should reconcile with her, but they ignored him.
(b) Because the information that Brand provided made Clarissa look very bad.
(c) Because Brand had been paid off by Mr. Solmes to lie about Clarissa.
(d) Because Brand was watching the wrong woman, so everything he told them was about someone else.
10. Who has Clarissa arrested?
(a) Her brother James.
(d) The Widow Sinclair.
11. To whom does Clarissa want her picture of Miss Howe to be given?
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Mr. Wyerley.
(d) Mrs. Howe.
12. Which members of Clarissa's family complain about her bequests to Dolly and Mrs. Norton?
(a) Dolly and Mrs. Norton.
(b) Mr. and Mrs. Howe.
(c) Sally and Polly.
(d) James and Arabella.
13. After Mr. Harlowe renounces his curse, what does Clarissa write to her mother to ask for?
(a) To restore her joy.
(b) To be allowed to come home.
(c) The money her grandfather left her.
(d) A last blessing before she dies.
14. What language was Clarissa learning before her death?
15. What stops Lovelace from killing himself when he learns of Clarissa's death?
(a) He's a coward and stops at the last minute.
(b) Clarissa's ghost appears and tells him to stop.
(c) Will has taken all his weapons away.
(d) Lord M has Lovelace put in a padded cell to protect him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Brand say about Belford's relationship with Clarissa?
2. Who is the Belfords' housekeeper?
3. How does Lovelace respond when the dying Clarissa forgives him?
4. Which family member recommends to Clarissa to stop seeing Belford, in hopes that she might be able to reconcile with the rest of the family if she does?
5. What are the Harlowes doing when they get the news of Clarissa's death?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)