|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
(a) Because everyone hates the Howes.
(b) Because he expects Clarissa to defend him.
(c) Because rape is considered a minor offense.
(d) Because of his family name, his money and his good looks.
2. Who does Mrs. Howe blame for her own refusal of Uncle Antony's marriage proposal?
(a) Uncle Harlowe.
(b) Miss Howe.
(d) Mr. Hickman.
3. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Clarissa's aunt.
(b) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(c) Clarissa's godmother.
(d) Lovelace's mistress.
4. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
(a) His love of women.
(b) His high opinion of himself.
(c) His love of money.
(d) His drinking.
5. Which two characters visit Clarissa in letters 37-45 to try to persuade her to marry Solmes?
(a) Mrs. Norton and Aunt Hervey.
(b) Lovelace's aunts.
(c) Rosebud and her boyfriend.
(d) Miss Howe and Mrs. Howe.
6. When Clarissa runs away after the fire, what does she plan to do if Lovelace does not find her?
(a) Stay right where she is.
(b) Marry Mr. Solmes.
(c) Go back to Harlowe Place and act like nothing happened.
(d) Leave the country.
7. What makes Lovelace vomit?
(a) Nerves about the wedding.
(b) Bad shellfish.
(c) A bad smell in the house.
(d) He took a drug to make himself throw up.
8. What does Lovelace tell Clarissa that makes her feel bad for him?
(a) Lovelace says he has spent his entire fortune buying her presents.
(b) Lovelace says he has spent two nights in the garden waiting for her and he got sick as a result.
(c) Lovelace says he spent two nights waiting for her in the chicken house and he can't stand the smell any longer.
(d) Lovelace says he's never kissed a girl because he's waiting for her.
9. In letter 21, how is Clarissa punished for refusing to be nice to Mr. Solmes?
(a) She is forced to be her sister's maid.
(b) She is forbidden to see her family and sent to her room.
(c) She is not allowed to go to a ball.
(d) Her dairy-house is given to her brother.
10. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) It's hot, so he wants to stop for water.
(b) He wants to drug and rape Clarissa.
(c) He wants to check his mail.
(d) He can't pass by without greeting the prostitutes.
11. Why does Lord M want Lovelace to have children with Clarissa?
(a) So that Lovelace will have legitimate heirs.
(b) Because Lord M knows that Clarissa loves kids.
(c) Because Lord M loves kids.
(d) Because Lord M thinks fatherhood will help Lovelace stop drinking so much.
12. Why doesn't Clarissa read the letter from Miss Howe that tells her that Widow Sinclair keeps a house of prostitution as soon as the letter arrives?
(a) Because Mr. Solmes intercepted the letter, so it never got to Widow Sinclair's house.
(b) Because Clarissa is not speaking to Miss Howe.
(c) Because the letter arrives after Clarissa has run away.
(d) Because Clarissa has fainted again.
13. What does Mr. Belton learn that his mistress did to him?
(a) Gave Belton's money to her boyfriend.
(b) Told everyone that she and Belton were not married.
(c) Opened a house of prostitution.
(d) Ran off to New York.
14. Why do the women at Mrs. Moore's house take Lovelace's side?
(a) Clarissa is mean to them.
(b) Women always side with a good-looking man.
(c) Lovelace promises to make them all rich if they help him.
(d) Lovelace tells the women that Clarissa is his wife.
15. Clarissa admits she would prefer Lovelace if only he had what quality?
(a) A great singing voice.
(b) Good looks.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
2. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
3. Why does Lovelace think it has been easy for Clarissa to be virtuous so far?
4. Why does Lovelace swear to get revenge on Mr. Howe and James?
5. When Clarissa threatens to commit suicide in the dining room, what weapon does she have with her?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)