|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Hopeful that the tricks will succeed.
(b) Very amused.
(c) Full of anger at Clarissa.
(d) Guilty and regretful.
2. Why does Lovelace think it has been easy for Clarissa to be virtuous so far?
(a) Because Clarissa has not had any big temptations yet.
(b) Because Clarissa is not smart enough to see opportunities.
(c) Because Clarissa was promised a lot of money if she would be virtuous.
(d) Because Clarissa grew up in a convent.
3. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
(a) A non-existent address.
(b) A house of prostitution.
(c) A grocery store.
(d) A dungeon.
4. How does Clarissa learn that the "Lady Betty" she first saw in London was an impostor?
(a) She exchanges letters with the real Lady Betty.
(b) Widow Sinclair admits it.
(c) Lovelace admits it.
(d) She sees a picture of Lady Betty in the newspaper.
5. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
(a) She does not like the way he talks to her.
(b) She never liked him in the first place.
(c) She has heard he has seduced a lot of women.
(d) She never wants to get married at all.
6. Who is Miss Howe?
(a) Clarissa's best friend.
(b) Arabella's best friend.
(c) Clarissa's sister.
(d) Clarissa and Arabella's nanny.
7. How does Clarissa's maid Betty treat her?
(a) Betty fears Clarissa.
(b) Betty worships Clarissa.
(c) Betty treats Clarissa rudely.
(d) Betty tries to help Clarissa escape.
8. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or become James's maid in Scotland.
(b) Clarissa will give James all her chickens, and she will help Arabella get Lovelace to marry her.
(c) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or she will marry a servant.
(d) Clarissa will give James half her inheritance and give him her best maid to take to Scotland.
9. Why does Lovelace spread a rumor that James still plans to kidnap Clarissa?
(a) Because it is true.
(b) To make sure Clarissa will still want Lovelace's protection.
(c) Because Lovelace plans to kidnap Arabella.
(d) To hurt James's reputation.
10. Who is Tomlinson, really?
(a) Lovelace in disguise.
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Patrick M'Donald, a friend of Lovelace's.
(d) Mr. Solmes.
11. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will end up in jail.
(b) Because the situation is unfair.
(c) Because Belford fears that Clarissa will commit suicide.
(d) Because Belford is a minister.
12. In addition to the information about the Widow Sinclair, what else does the revealing letter from Miss Howe say?
(a) That Mr. Lovelace is an impostor, and Clarissa has never met the real Mr. Lovelace.
(b) That there is no such person as Mr. Hickman, and Miss Howe does not really have a fiance.
(c) That Miss Howe used to work in the Widow Sinclair's house.
(d) That there is no such person as Captain Tomlinson.
13. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
(a) They say she is reasonable and that Lovelace should marry her.
(b) They tell Lovelace that Clarissa is not good enough to be his wife.
(c) They hope Clarissa will like them more later.
(d) They all decide to go to church.
14. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
(a) Because Uncle Antony smokes, and she can not stand to be around smoke.
(b) Because Clarissa never does what she is told.
(c) Because James did not say "please."
(d) Because James is not her parent.
15. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
(d) She loves them both but can not decide which to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters visit Clarissa in letters 37-45 to try to persuade her to marry Solmes?
2. What does Mr. Belton learn that his mistress did to him?
3. How does Solmes believe husbands should handle wives?
4. When Clarissa threatens to commit suicide in the dining room, what weapon does she have with her?
5. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)