|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
(a) To send Miss Partington a lock of Clarissa's hair.
(b) To write Miss Partington a letter explaining why Clarissa won't marry Lovelace.
(c) To share Clarissa's bed for the night.
(d) To be best friends forever.
2. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
(b) Uncle Antony.
(c) Clarissa's brother James.
(d) Clarissa's father.
3. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
(a) They say she is reasonable and that Lovelace should marry her.
(b) They hope Clarissa will like them more later.
(c) They tell Lovelace that Clarissa is not good enough to be his wife.
(d) They all decide to go to church.
4. When Clarissa seems willing to marry Lovelace in order to reconcile with her family, why does that bother Lovelace?
(a) Because Lovelace does not want Clarissa to be happy.
(b) Because Lovelace has decided Clarissa is not rich enough to marry him.
(c) Because Lovelace wants Clarissa to marry him because she loves him.
(d) Because Lovelace is already secretly married to Miss Betterton.
5. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
(b) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
(c) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
(d) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
6. What does Lovelace tell Clarissa that makes her feel bad for him?
(a) Lovelace says he has spent two nights in the garden waiting for her and he got sick as a result.
(b) Lovelace says he spent two nights waiting for her in the chicken house and he can't stand the smell any longer.
(c) Lovelace says he's never kissed a girl because he's waiting for her.
(d) Lovelace says he has spent his entire fortune buying her presents.
7. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
8. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Clarissa's godmother.
(b) Lovelace's mistress.
(c) Clarissa's aunt.
(d) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
9. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
(a) Uncle Antony's house.
(c) A hotel.
(d) The house of his aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence.
10. Who is Tomlinson, really?
(a) Mr. Hickman.
(b) Patrick M'Donald, a friend of Lovelace's.
(c) Lovelace in disguise.
(d) Mr. Solmes.
11. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
(a) Because Clarissa never does what she is told.
(b) Because James did not say "please."
(c) Because James is not her parent.
(d) Because Uncle Antony smokes, and she can not stand to be around smoke.
12. What does the Widow Sinclair overhear that makes her angry with Clarissa?
(a) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa talking about her house's reputation.
(b) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the carpets and drapes are in very bad taste.
(c) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the Widow Sinclair really needs to do something about her hair.
(d) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that she's always loved Lovelace and is enjoying teasing him.
13. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
(b) She wants her jewelry.
(c) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
(d) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
14. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
(a) Solmes threatened the family if they did not let him see her.
(b) They believe she will turn him down, and they can finally forget about the whole thing.
(c) They believe this means she eventually will agree to marry him.
(d) Solmes has agreed to give them money in return for a meeting with her.
15. What does Clarissa say about Mrs. Howe's refusal to help her?
(a) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe made the right decision in refusing to help her.
(b) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is the meanest old woman she knows.
(c) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is going to pay for refusing to help her.
(d) Clarissa says that Mrs. Howe's decision proves that she is out of her mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
2. What does Lord M promise to do if Lovelace marries Clarissa but is a bad husband?
3. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
4. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
5. What does Clarissa do with the proposed marriage settlement Lovelace gives to her?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)