|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Clarissa planning to go while Lovelace visits the dying Lord M?
(a) The Isle of Wight.
2. When Clarissa threatens to commit suicide in the dining room, what weapon does she have with her?
(a) A sword.
(b) A gun.
(c) A rope.
(d) A penknife.
3. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
(a) Clarissa is rich, but Lady Betty is poor.
(b) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty warned her not to come.
(c) Clarissa is ill, and Lady Betty is boring.
(d) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty has not invited her.
4. Lovelace tells his friend Belford that he's happy to have Clarissa under his control, but that only one thing takes away from his happiness. What is that one thing?
(a) Lovelace finds that Clarissa is not as beautiful as he thought at first.
(b) Lovelace wishes that Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman could be there with them to comfort Clarissa.
(c) Lovelace wishes Clarissa did not have any stain on her reputation.
(d) Lovelace suspects that Clarissa does not prefer him to any other man.
5. Who does Lovelace persuade Clarissa to allow to serve as a mediator between them at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Mrs. Howe.
(b) Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence.
(c) Miss Howe.
(d) The Widow Sinclair.
6. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
(a) Mr. Solmes.
(b) All men.
(c) Mr. Hickman.
(d) Uncle Antony.
7. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Guilty and regretful.
(b) Hopeful that the tricks will succeed.
(c) Full of anger at Clarissa.
(d) Very amused.
8. Who does Mrs. Howe blame for her own refusal of Uncle Antony's marriage proposal?
(a) Mr. Hickman.
(b) Uncle Harlowe.
(c) Miss Howe.
9. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
(a) She has heard he has seduced a lot of women.
(b) She never liked him in the first place.
(c) She never wants to get married at all.
(d) She does not like the way he talks to her.
10. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
(a) Tomlinson wrote Clarissa a letter and told her.
(b) Lovelace told Clarissa what they said.
(c) Clarissa eavesdropped on them.
(d) Dorcas told Clarissa what they said.
11. Why does Clarissa run away after the fire at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) She hates fire even more than Lovelace.
(b) She wants to join the circus.
(c) She believes Lovelace set the fire to get a chance to ravish her.
(d) She set the fire herself so she could run away.
12. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford fears that Clarissa will commit suicide.
(b) Because Belford is a minister.
(c) Because the situation is unfair.
(d) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will end up in jail.
13. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
(b) Uncle Harlowe's.
(c) His own.
(d) The Widow SInclair's.
14. In letters 31-36, what does Lovelace tell his friend Belford about his feelings for Clarissa?
(a) That he plans to kidnap her and drug her.
(b) That he is giving up on her, since she really is not into him.
(c) That he does not love her and is only courting her to get back at her father and brother.
(d) That he really does love her.
15. How does Lovelace's talk with the God of Love about Clarissa end?
(a) The God of Love gives up on Clarissa.
(b) Lovelace tells the God of Love that he will become a better man in order to deserve Clarissa.
(c) The God of Love tells Lovelace that Clarissa really loves Mr. Hickman.
(d) The God of Love convinces Lovelace to treat Clarissa like a queen.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the style of this book?
2. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
3. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
4. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
5. How does Clarissa escape while Lovelace is visiting Lord M?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)