|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
(a) The Widow SInclair's.
(b) Uncle Harlowe's.
(c) His own.
2. Who is Tomlinson, really?
(a) Lovelace in disguise.
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Mr. Solmes.
(d) Patrick M'Donald, a friend of Lovelace's.
3. How does Clarissa's maid Betty treat her?
(a) Betty fears Clarissa.
(b) Betty tries to help Clarissa escape.
(c) Betty worships Clarissa.
(d) Betty treats Clarissa rudely.
4. Where is Clarissa planning to go while Lovelace visits the dying Lord M?
(a) The Isle of Wight.
5. Why do the women at Mrs. Moore's house take Lovelace's side?
(a) Clarissa is mean to them.
(b) Lovelace tells the women that Clarissa is his wife.
(c) Women always side with a good-looking man.
(d) Lovelace promises to make them all rich if they help him.
6. Which two characters visit Clarissa in letters 37-45 to try to persuade her to marry Solmes?
(a) Mrs. Norton and Aunt Hervey.
(b) Rosebud and her boyfriend.
(c) Miss Howe and Mrs. Howe.
(d) Lovelace's aunts.
7. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
(a) Mr. Hickman.
(b) All men.
(c) Mr. Solmes.
(d) Uncle Antony.
8. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
(a) Miss Howe's brother.
(b) Mr. Solmes.
(c) Mr. Salmon, who is 99 years old.
(d) Mr. Lovelace's older brother.
9. Whose house is Clarissa staying in while in London?
(a) Lady Betty Lawrence.
(b) Widow Sinclair.
(c) Mrs. Howe.
(d) Aunt Hervey.
10. What makes Lovelace vomit?
(a) A bad smell in the house.
(b) He took a drug to make himself throw up.
(c) Bad shellfish.
(d) Nerves about the wedding.
11. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A wrestling match.
(b) A game of chess.
(c) A duel.
(d) A debate.
12. When Clarissa threatens to commit suicide in the dining room, what weapon does she have with her?
(a) A sword.
(b) A gun.
(c) A penknife.
(d) A rope.
13. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
(a) She loves them both but can not decide which to marry.
14. Who does Clarissa write to, asking for help persuading her father not to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Aunt Antonia.
(b) Uncle Antony.
(c) John Belford.
(d) Mrs. Howe.
15. What important news does Colonel Morden's letter contain?
(a) Colonel Morden thinks Clarissa should have married Solmes.
(b) Colonel Morden has challenged James to a duel.
(c) Colonel Morden has learned that Lovelace is really Clarissa's brother.
(d) Colonel Morden is never returning to England.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
2. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
3. What does Clarissa do with the proposed marriage settlement Lovelace gives to her?
4. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
5. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)