|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Clarissa do with the proposed marriage settlement Lovelace gives to her?
(a) Sends it to Miss Howe for her approval.
(b) Sends it to Mrs. Harlowe.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Changes it, so that Clarissa gets more money.
2. Who wrote the letter about Lovelace that Solmes reads?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(b) Lovelace wrote it himself.
(c) Miss Howe.
(d) It's anonymous.
3. How does Solmes believe husbands should handle wives?
(a) Treat them with love and respect.
(b) Rule them through fear.
(c) Keep them barefoot and in the kitchen.
(d) Allow them to act any way they want.
4. Which of the following best describes the style of this book?
(a) One long letter written by one person.
(b) A play.
(c) A young woman's diary.
(d) A series of letters exchanged between several people.
5. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
(a) His drinking.
(b) His love of women.
(c) His love of money.
(d) His high opinion of himself.
6. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
(a) Her brother James.
(b) Colonel Morden.
(c) Her aunt Hervey.
(d) Her uncle Antony.
7. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(b) Clarissa's father.
(c) Clarissa's brother James.
8. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
(a) His own.
(c) The Widow SInclair's.
(d) Uncle Harlowe's.
9. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
(a) Hold out for as much money as she can get before agreeing to marry him.
(b) Marry Lovelace as soon as possible.
(c) Run away to New York and become an actress.
(d) Marry Solmes as soon as possible.
10. In letters 31-36, what does Lovelace tell his friend Belford about his feelings for Clarissa?
(a) That he really does love her.
(b) That he plans to kidnap her and drug her.
(c) That he is giving up on her, since she really is not into him.
(d) That he does not love her and is only courting her to get back at her father and brother.
11. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or she will marry a servant.
(b) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or become James's maid in Scotland.
(c) Clarissa will give James all her chickens, and she will help Arabella get Lovelace to marry her.
(d) Clarissa will give James half her inheritance and give him her best maid to take to Scotland.
12. Why does Clarissa run away after the fire at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) She hates fire even more than Lovelace.
(b) She believes Lovelace set the fire to get a chance to ravish her.
(c) She set the fire herself so she could run away.
(d) She wants to join the circus.
13. How does Lovelace know about everything that happens at Clarissa's house?
(a) He has hired one of their servants as a spy.
(b) He hangs around in the bushes and listens to their conversations.
(c) He is secretly dating Arabella, who tells him what is happening.
(d) He is psychic.
14. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Full of anger at Clarissa.
(b) Hopeful that the tricks will succeed.
(c) Very amused.
(d) Guilty and regretful.
15. Where is Clarissa planning to go while Lovelace visits the dying Lord M?
(a) The Isle of Wight.
Short Answer Questions
1. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
2. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
3. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
4. Who is Miss Howe?
5. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
This section contains 719 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)