|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following best describes the style of this book?
(a) A play.
(b) One long letter written by one person.
(c) A series of letters exchanged between several people.
(d) A young woman's diary.
2. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(c) Clarissa's brother James.
(d) Clarissa's father.
3. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
(a) Clarissa eavesdropped on them.
(b) Lovelace told Clarissa what they said.
(c) Dorcas told Clarissa what they said.
(d) Tomlinson wrote Clarissa a letter and told her.
4. When does Clarissa say she will set a wedding date?
(a) As soon as the dressmaker finishes her wedding dress.
(b) As soon as her family says they will come to the wedding.
(c) As soon as Lovelace gets a marriage license.
(d) As soon as she talks to her wedding planner.
5. When Miss Howe says she is going to write to Clarissa even though her mother does not allow her to, what does Clarissa tell her?
(a) Clarissa is glad Miss Howe will still write to her.
(b) Clarissa tells Miss Howe to come to London in person.
(c) Clarissa tells Miss Howe not to write, but that Mr. Hickman can write.
(d) Clarissa tells Miss Howe she never really liked her anyway.
6. When the Harlowes learn that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, which family member is actually sad for Clarissa?
(a) Her brother.
(b) Her aunt Clarissa.
(c) Her mother.
(d) Her father.
7. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
(b) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
(c) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
(d) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
8. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Lovelace's mistress.
(b) Clarissa's aunt.
(c) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(d) Clarissa's godmother.
9. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
(a) She does not like the way he talks to her.
(b) She never wants to get married at all.
(c) She has heard he has seduced a lot of women.
(d) She never liked him in the first place.
10. What part of Clarissa's body does James injure during the meeting with Solmes?
(a) Her foot.
(b) Her leg.
(c) Her hand.
(d) Her head.
11. What does Clarissa do with the proposed marriage settlement Lovelace gives to her?
(a) Sends it to Miss Howe for her approval.
(b) Sends it to Mrs. Harlowe.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Changes it, so that Clarissa gets more money.
12. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
(b) The Widow SInclair's.
(c) Uncle Harlowe's.
(d) His own.
13. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
(b) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
(c) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
(d) She wants her jewelry.
14. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
(a) Because Dr. Lewen is sick with gout.
(b) Because Clarissa does not consent.
(c) Because Dr. Lewen can not stand the Harlowes.
(d) Because Dr. Lewen earlier fought a duel with Solmes.
15. When Clarissa seems willing to marry Lovelace in order to reconcile with her family, why does that bother Lovelace?
(a) Because Lovelace does not want Clarissa to be happy.
(b) Because Lovelace has decided Clarissa is not rich enough to marry him.
(c) Because Lovelace is already secretly married to Miss Betterton.
(d) Because Lovelace wants Clarissa to marry him because she loves him.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Widow Sinclair overhear that makes her angry with Clarissa?
2. What goal does Lovelace say he will achieve by trying to seduce Clarissa?
3. What does Lovelace tell Clarissa that makes her feel bad for him?
4. What makes Lovelace vomit?
5. When Lovelace and Clarissa get a room together at an inn, what do they pretend to be?
This section contains 805 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)