|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
(a) Clarissa hates Lord M.
(b) Lord M is ill with gout, so they can't set a date.
(c) Lord M is very ugly.
(d) Lord M hates Clarissa and does not want Lovelace to get married.
2. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Very amused.
(b) Guilty and regretful.
(c) Hopeful that the tricks will succeed.
(d) Full of anger at Clarissa.
3. What important news does Colonel Morden's letter contain?
(a) Colonel Morden has challenged James to a duel.
(b) Colonel Morden thinks Clarissa should have married Solmes.
(c) Colonel Morden is never returning to England.
(d) Colonel Morden has learned that Lovelace is really Clarissa's brother.
4. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A game of chess.
(b) A duel.
(c) A debate.
(d) A wrestling match.
5. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
(a) She never liked him in the first place.
(b) She never wants to get married at all.
(c) She has heard he has seduced a lot of women.
(d) She does not like the way he talks to her.
6. How does Lovelace's talk with the God of Love about Clarissa end?
(a) The God of Love gives up on Clarissa.
(b) The God of Love convinces Lovelace to treat Clarissa like a queen.
(c) The God of Love tells Lovelace that Clarissa really loves Mr. Hickman.
(d) Lovelace tells the God of Love that he will become a better man in order to deserve Clarissa.
7. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
8. What does the Widow Sinclair overhear that makes her angry with Clarissa?
(a) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa talking about her house's reputation.
(b) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the Widow Sinclair really needs to do something about her hair.
(c) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that she's always loved Lovelace and is enjoying teasing him.
(d) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the carpets and drapes are in very bad taste.
9. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford fears that Clarissa will commit suicide.
(b) Because Belford is a minister.
(c) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will end up in jail.
(d) Because the situation is unfair.
10. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Clarissa will give James half her inheritance and give him her best maid to take to Scotland.
(b) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or she will marry a servant.
(c) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or become James's maid in Scotland.
(d) Clarissa will give James all her chickens, and she will help Arabella get Lovelace to marry her.
11. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) He wants to check his mail.
(b) He wants to drug and rape Clarissa.
(c) He can't pass by without greeting the prostitutes.
(d) It's hot, so he wants to stop for water.
12. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
(a) Drug him with opium and leave him in the gutter.
(b) Marry Mr. Solmes quickly, in case Clarissa is pregnant.
(c) Bring legal charges against Lovelace.
(d) Go to rehab to make sure she does not get addicted.
13. Why does Clarissa faint when she finds out that they cannot leave the Widow Sinclair's house because Charlotte is sick?
(a) The air at the Widow Sinclair's house smells so bad that Clarissa passed out from the fumes.
(b) Clarissa knows that Lovelace's next step will be to kidnap her and take her to Australia.
(c) She believes this is the final blow to her reputation.
(d) Charlotte is her best friend.
14. When Clarissa visits Lovelace's bedroom in her nightgown, what does she ask him?
(a) What is going to happen to her next.
(b) Why he didn't marry Arabella.
(c) Whether he likes this nightgown.
(d) Why he does not get mental help.
15. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
(a) Hold out for as much money as she can get before agreeing to marry him.
(b) Run away to New York and become an actress.
(c) Marry Lovelace as soon as possible.
(d) Marry Solmes as soon as possible.
Short Answer Questions
1. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
2. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
3. Why does Clarissa run away after the fire at Widow Sinclair's house?
4. How does Clarissa learn that the "Lady Betty" she first saw in London was an impostor?
5. When Clarissa threatens to commit suicide in the dining room, what weapon does she have with her?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)