|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
(a) Because rape is considered a minor offense.
(b) Because of his family name, his money and his good looks.
(c) Because everyone hates the Howes.
(d) Because he expects Clarissa to defend him.
2. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
(a) To obey her parents and marry Solmes.
(b) To change her hairstyle.
(c) To come and stay with Miss Howe until the whole thing blows over.
(d) To marry Lovelace.
3. Which of Lovelace's friends is pleased to learn of Clarissa's escape?
(b) Mr. Belford.
(c) Mr. Solmes.
(d) Captain Tomlinson.
4. Who is Tomlinson, really?
(a) Lovelace in disguise.
(b) Patrick M'Donald, a friend of Lovelace's.
(c) Mr. Hickman.
(d) Mr. Solmes.
5. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
(a) Uncle Harlowe's.
(c) The Widow SInclair's.
(d) His own.
6. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Lovelace's mistress.
(b) Clarissa's aunt.
(c) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(d) Clarissa's godmother.
7. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
(a) Lovelace told Clarissa what they said.
(b) Tomlinson wrote Clarissa a letter and told her.
(c) Clarissa eavesdropped on them.
(d) Dorcas told Clarissa what they said.
8. Who does Clarissa write to, asking for help persuading her father not to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Mrs. Howe.
(b) Aunt Antonia.
(c) Uncle Antony.
(d) John Belford.
9. Why does Lovelace think it has been easy for Clarissa to be virtuous so far?
(a) Because Clarissa was promised a lot of money if she would be virtuous.
(b) Because Clarissa has not had any big temptations yet.
(c) Because Clarissa is not smart enough to see opportunities.
(d) Because Clarissa grew up in a convent.
10. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) It's hot, so he wants to stop for water.
(b) He can't pass by without greeting the prostitutes.
(c) He wants to check his mail.
(d) He wants to drug and rape Clarissa.
11. What goal does Lovelace say he will achieve by trying to seduce Clarissa?
(a) Test his own seductiveness.
(b) Achieve his 100th seduction.
(c) Keep himself busy.
(d) Test the virtue of all women.
12. What part of Clarissa's body does James injure during the meeting with Solmes?
(a) Her leg.
(b) Her foot.
(c) Her hand.
(d) Her head.
13. What makes Lovelace vomit?
(a) Bad shellfish.
(b) A bad smell in the house.
(c) He took a drug to make himself throw up.
(d) Nerves about the wedding.
14. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
(a) Mr. Solmes.
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) All men.
(d) Uncle Antony.
15. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
(a) James and Arabella think Morden will talk Solmes out of wanting to marry Clarissa.
(b) James and Arabella are afraid Morden will give Clarissa her independence.
(c) James and Arabella know Morden will be happy about the marriage and they want to surprise him.
(d) James and Arabella plan to murder Morden when he returns and inherit his property.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
2. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
3. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
4. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
5. In the dream Clarissa has, what does Lovelace do to her?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)