|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
(a) Marry Solmes as soon as possible.
(b) Marry Lovelace as soon as possible.
(c) Run away to New York and become an actress.
(d) Hold out for as much money as she can get before agreeing to marry him.
2. Who does Lovelace persuade Clarissa to allow to serve as a mediator between them at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence.
(b) Miss Howe.
(c) The Widow Sinclair.
(d) Mrs. Howe.
3. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or she will marry a servant.
(b) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or become James's maid in Scotland.
(c) Clarissa will give James all her chickens, and she will help Arabella get Lovelace to marry her.
(d) Clarissa will give James half her inheritance and give him her best maid to take to Scotland.
4. Why does Lovelace think that Lord M dying might help him get Clarissa to marry him?
(a) Because Clarissa never liked Lord M.
(b) Because he suspects Clarissa loves Lord M, but once Lord M is dead, Clarissa will turn to Lovelace for comfort.
(c) Because he hopes the money he will inherit will impress Clarissa.
(d) Because he thinks Clarissa will feel sorry for him when he's grieving.
5. Which of the following best describes the style of this book?
(a) A play.
(b) One long letter written by one person.
(c) A young woman's diary.
(d) A series of letters exchanged between several people.
6. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford is a minister.
(b) Because the situation is unfair.
(c) Because Belford fears that Clarissa will commit suicide.
(d) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will end up in jail.
7. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
(b) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
(c) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
(d) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
8. How does Lovelace's talk with the God of Love about Clarissa end?
(a) The God of Love convinces Lovelace to treat Clarissa like a queen.
(b) The God of Love gives up on Clarissa.
(c) The God of Love tells Lovelace that Clarissa really loves Mr. Hickman.
(d) Lovelace tells the God of Love that he will become a better man in order to deserve Clarissa.
9. With whom does Lovelace have a child?
(a) Miss Betterton.
(c) Aunt Hervey.
(d) Miss Howe.
10. How does Clarissa learn that the "Lady Betty" she first saw in London was an impostor?
(a) She exchanges letters with the real Lady Betty.
(b) Lovelace admits it.
(c) Widow Sinclair admits it.
(d) She sees a picture of Lady Betty in the newspaper.
11. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
(a) Because he expects Clarissa to defend him.
(b) Because rape is considered a minor offense.
(c) Because of his family name, his money and his good looks.
(d) Because everyone hates the Howes.
12. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(b) Lovelace's mistress.
(c) Clarissa's aunt.
(d) Clarissa's godmother.
13. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
(a) His love of money.
(b) His high opinion of himself.
(c) His drinking.
(d) His love of women.
14. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
(a) Clarissa is rich, but Lady Betty is poor.
(b) Clarissa is ill, and Lady Betty is boring.
(c) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty warned her not to come.
(d) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty has not invited her.
15. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
(a) Lord M is very ugly.
(b) Clarissa hates Lord M.
(c) Lord M hates Clarissa and does not want Lovelace to get married.
(d) Lord M is ill with gout, so they can't set a date.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Clarissa runs away after the fire, what does she plan to do if Lovelace does not find her?
2. In letter 21, how is Clarissa punished for refusing to be nice to Mr. Solmes?
3. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
4. Which of the following is one of the things Lovelace wrote in a forged letter, which is made to look like it was written by Miss Howe?
5. What does the Widow Sinclair overhear that makes her angry with Clarissa?
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)