|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
(a) James and Arabella plan to murder Morden when he returns and inherit his property.
(b) James and Arabella are afraid Morden will give Clarissa her independence.
(c) James and Arabella know Morden will be happy about the marriage and they want to surprise him.
(d) James and Arabella think Morden will talk Solmes out of wanting to marry Clarissa.
2. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) He wants to drug and rape Clarissa.
(b) He wants to check his mail.
(c) He can't pass by without greeting the prostitutes.
(d) It's hot, so he wants to stop for water.
3. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
(a) Because rape is considered a minor offense.
(b) Because of his family name, his money and his good looks.
(c) Because he expects Clarissa to defend him.
(d) Because everyone hates the Howes.
4. How does Lovelace know about everything that happens at Clarissa's house?
(a) He is psychic.
(b) He has hired one of their servants as a spy.
(c) He is secretly dating Arabella, who tells him what is happening.
(d) He hangs around in the bushes and listens to their conversations.
5. In letters 31-36, what does Lovelace tell his friend Belford about his feelings for Clarissa?
(a) That he plans to kidnap her and drug her.
(b) That he is giving up on her, since she really is not into him.
(c) That he really does love her.
(d) That he does not love her and is only courting her to get back at her father and brother.
6. Who wrote the letter about Lovelace that Solmes reads?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(b) Lovelace wrote it himself.
(c) Miss Howe.
(d) It's anonymous.
7. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
(a) Because the servant kissed Dorcas.
(b) Because Dorcas does not know the answers to the questions he is asking.
(c) Because the servant will not say why he is asking.
(d) Because Dorcas is unpredictable.
8. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
(a) She never liked him in the first place.
(b) She has heard he has seduced a lot of women.
(c) She does not like the way he talks to her.
(d) She never wants to get married at all.
9. What does James plan to do with Clarissa if he "rescues" her?
(a) Send Clarissa to his estate in Scotland.
(b) Have Clarissa arrested and sent to jail for prostitution.
(c) Send Clarissa to a madhouse.
(d) Send Clarissa to a convent.
10. Why does Lovelace spread a rumor that James still plans to kidnap Clarissa?
(a) To make sure Clarissa will still want Lovelace's protection.
(b) Because Lovelace plans to kidnap Arabella.
(c) To hurt James's reputation.
(d) Because it is true.
11. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
(a) Clarissa is rich, but Lady Betty is poor.
(b) Clarissa is ill, and Lady Betty is boring.
(c) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty warned her not to come.
(d) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty has not invited her.
12. Why doesn't Clarissa read the letter from Miss Howe that tells her that Widow Sinclair keeps a house of prostitution as soon as the letter arrives?
(a) Because Mr. Solmes intercepted the letter, so it never got to Widow Sinclair's house.
(b) Because Clarissa is not speaking to Miss Howe.
(c) Because the letter arrives after Clarissa has run away.
(d) Because Clarissa has fainted again.
13. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
(a) Because Dr. Lewen earlier fought a duel with Solmes.
(b) Because Dr. Lewen can not stand the Harlowes.
(c) Because Dr. Lewen is sick with gout.
(d) Because Clarissa does not consent.
14. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
(a) Bring legal charges against Lovelace.
(b) Go to rehab to make sure she does not get addicted.
(c) Marry Mr. Solmes quickly, in case Clarissa is pregnant.
(d) Drug him with opium and leave him in the gutter.
15. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
(a) A non-existent address.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A dungeon.
(d) A house of prostitution.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
2. Why does Arabella say the Harlowes refuse to send Clarissa her money or jewelry?
3. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
4. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
5. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)