|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do the women at Mrs. Moore's house take Lovelace's side?
(a) Lovelace promises to make them all rich if they help him.
(b) Women always side with a good-looking man.
(c) Lovelace tells the women that Clarissa is his wife.
(d) Clarissa is mean to them.
2. In addition to the information about the Widow Sinclair, what else does the revealing letter from Miss Howe say?
(a) That Miss Howe used to work in the Widow Sinclair's house.
(b) That Mr. Lovelace is an impostor, and Clarissa has never met the real Mr. Lovelace.
(c) That there is no such person as Mr. Hickman, and Miss Howe does not really have a fiance.
(d) That there is no such person as Captain Tomlinson.
3. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford is a minister.
(b) Because Belford fears that Clarissa will commit suicide.
(c) Because the situation is unfair.
(d) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will end up in jail.
4. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
(a) She never liked him in the first place.
(b) She never wants to get married at all.
(c) She has heard he has seduced a lot of women.
(d) She does not like the way he talks to her.
5. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her jewelry.
(b) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
(c) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
(d) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
6. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
(a) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty warned her not to come.
(b) Clarissa is rich, but Lady Betty is poor.
(c) Clarissa is ill, and Lady Betty is boring.
(d) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty has not invited her.
7. In the dream Clarissa has, what does Lovelace do to her?
(a) Kill her.
(b) Make her queen.
(c) Call her names.
(d) Give her a pink cake with a tag that says "Eat me."
8. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
(a) Solmes threatened the family if they did not let him see her.
(b) Solmes has agreed to give them money in return for a meeting with her.
(c) They believe she will turn him down, and they can finally forget about the whole thing.
(d) They believe this means she eventually will agree to marry him.
9. When the Harlowes learn that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, which family member is actually sad for Clarissa?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her father.
(c) Her aunt Clarissa.
(d) Her brother.
10. What does Clarissa do with the proposed marriage settlement Lovelace gives to her?
(a) Sends it to Miss Howe for her approval.
(b) Sends it to Mrs. Harlowe.
(c) Burns it.
(d) Changes it, so that Clarissa gets more money.
11. How does Lovelace's talk with the God of Love about Clarissa end?
(a) The God of Love gives up on Clarissa.
(b) The God of Love convinces Lovelace to treat Clarissa like a queen.
(c) The God of Love tells Lovelace that Clarissa really loves Mr. Hickman.
(d) Lovelace tells the God of Love that he will become a better man in order to deserve Clarissa.
12. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
(a) Go to rehab to make sure she does not get addicted.
(b) Marry Mr. Solmes quickly, in case Clarissa is pregnant.
(c) Drug him with opium and leave him in the gutter.
(d) Bring legal charges against Lovelace.
13. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
(b) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
(c) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
(d) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
14. When Clarissa visits Lovelace's bedroom in her nightgown, what does she ask him?
(a) Why he does not get mental help.
(b) Why he didn't marry Arabella.
(c) What is going to happen to her next.
(d) Whether he likes this nightgown.
15. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(c) Clarissa's brother James.
(d) Clarissa's father.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
2. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
3. When Miss Howe says she is going to write to Clarissa even though her mother does not allow her to, what does Clarissa tell her?
4. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
5. Why does Lovelace think it has been easy for Clarissa to be virtuous so far?
This section contains 918 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)