|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
(a) Because Dr. Lewen can not stand the Harlowes.
(b) Because Dr. Lewen is sick with gout.
(c) Because Dr. Lewen earlier fought a duel with Solmes.
(d) Because Clarissa does not consent.
2. Why does Lovelace swear to get revenge on Mr. Howe and James?
(a) Because Arabella refused to marry him.
(b) Because Mr. Howe owed him money and refused to pay.
(c) Because they are so mean to Clarissa.
(d) Because he finds out they hired spies to watch him.
3. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A game of chess.
(b) A debate.
(c) A wrestling match.
(d) A duel.
4. When Lovelace and Clarissa get a room together at an inn, what do they pretend to be?
(a) Uncle and niece.
(b) Grandfather and granddaughter.
(c) Brother and sister.
5. What does Clarissa say about Mrs. Howe's refusal to help her?
(a) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is going to pay for refusing to help her.
(b) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is the meanest old woman she knows.
(c) Clarissa says that Mrs. Howe's decision proves that she is out of her mind.
(d) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe made the right decision in refusing to help her.
6. Why does Lord M want Lovelace to have children with Clarissa?
(a) So that Lovelace will have legitimate heirs.
(b) Because Lord M loves kids.
(c) Because Lord M knows that Clarissa loves kids.
(d) Because Lord M thinks fatherhood will help Lovelace stop drinking so much.
7. What does Lovelace tell Clarissa that makes her feel bad for him?
(a) Lovelace says he has spent two nights in the garden waiting for her and he got sick as a result.
(b) Lovelace says he has spent his entire fortune buying her presents.
(c) Lovelace says he's never kissed a girl because he's waiting for her.
(d) Lovelace says he spent two nights waiting for her in the chicken house and he can't stand the smell any longer.
8. Which of the following is one of the things Lovelace wrote in a forged letter, which is made to look like it was written by Miss Howe?
(a) That Lovelace no longer intends to ruin Clarissa.
(b) That Clarissa should not care about being ruined, since it's silly to expect a woman to stay a virgin until she is married.
(c) That Mr. Hickman has ruined Miss Howe.
(d) That Mr. Lovelace raped Miss Howe while she was on her way to visit her aunt.
9. In letter 21, how is Clarissa punished for refusing to be nice to Mr. Solmes?
(a) She is forced to be her sister's maid.
(b) She is not allowed to go to a ball.
(c) She is forbidden to see her family and sent to her room.
(d) Her dairy-house is given to her brother.
10. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(b) Mr. Solmes.
(c) Mr. Hickman.
(d) All men.
11. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
(a) Clarissa is rich, but Lady Betty is poor.
(b) Clarissa is ill, and Lady Betty is boring.
(c) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty has not invited her.
(d) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty warned her not to come.
12. Why doesn't Clarissa read the letter from Miss Howe that tells her that Widow Sinclair keeps a house of prostitution as soon as the letter arrives?
(a) Because Clarissa is not speaking to Miss Howe.
(b) Because Clarissa has fainted again.
(c) Because the letter arrives after Clarissa has run away.
(d) Because Mr. Solmes intercepted the letter, so it never got to Widow Sinclair's house.
13. In addition to the information about the Widow Sinclair, what else does the revealing letter from Miss Howe say?
(a) That Mr. Lovelace is an impostor, and Clarissa has never met the real Mr. Lovelace.
(b) That Miss Howe used to work in the Widow Sinclair's house.
(c) That there is no such person as Captain Tomlinson.
(d) That there is no such person as Mr. Hickman, and Miss Howe does not really have a fiance.
14. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
(a) Because he expects Clarissa to defend him.
(b) Because everyone hates the Howes.
(c) Because rape is considered a minor offense.
(d) Because of his family name, his money and his good looks.
15. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
(a) A dungeon.
(b) A grocery store.
(c) A non-existent address.
(d) A house of prostitution.
Short Answer Questions
1. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
2. In letters 31-36, what does Lovelace tell his friend Belford about his feelings for Clarissa?
3. Why does Clarissa faint when she finds out that they cannot leave the Widow Sinclair's house because Charlotte is sick?
4. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
5. What goal does Lovelace say he will achieve by trying to seduce Clarissa?
This section contains 942 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)