|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
(a) They believe she will turn him down, and they can finally forget about the whole thing.
(b) Solmes has agreed to give them money in return for a meeting with her.
(c) Solmes threatened the family if they did not let him see her.
(d) They believe this means she eventually will agree to marry him.
2. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
(a) Send a letter to the London Times explaining what happened.
(b) Marry Solmes.
(c) Go to Scotland.
(d) Marry Lovelace.
3. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
(a) Because everyone hates the Howes.
(b) Because rape is considered a minor offense.
(c) Because he expects Clarissa to defend him.
(d) Because of his family name, his money and his good looks.
4. What does Clarissa do with the proposed marriage settlement Lovelace gives to her?
(a) Changes it, so that Clarissa gets more money.
(b) Burns it.
(c) Sends it to Mrs. Harlowe.
(d) Sends it to Miss Howe for her approval.
5. When Clarissa runs away after the fire, what does she plan to do if Lovelace does not find her?
(a) Leave the country.
(b) Marry Mr. Solmes.
(c) Go back to Harlowe Place and act like nothing happened.
(d) Stay right where she is.
6. How does Solmes believe husbands should handle wives?
(a) Keep them barefoot and in the kitchen.
(b) Rule them through fear.
(c) Allow them to act any way they want.
(d) Treat them with love and respect.
7. Why do the women at Mrs. Moore's house take Lovelace's side?
(a) Clarissa is mean to them.
(b) Lovelace tells the women that Clarissa is his wife.
(c) Lovelace promises to make them all rich if they help him.
(d) Women always side with a good-looking man.
8. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
(a) All men.
(b) Mr. Solmes.
(c) Mr. Hickman.
(d) Uncle Antony.
9. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
(a) Lord M is very ugly.
(b) Lord M hates Clarissa and does not want Lovelace to get married.
(c) Lord M is ill with gout, so they can't set a date.
(d) Clarissa hates Lord M.
10. How does Lovelace's talk with the God of Love about Clarissa end?
(a) The God of Love tells Lovelace that Clarissa really loves Mr. Hickman.
(b) The God of Love gives up on Clarissa.
(c) The God of Love convinces Lovelace to treat Clarissa like a queen.
(d) Lovelace tells the God of Love that he will become a better man in order to deserve Clarissa.
11. What does Clarissa say about Mrs. Howe's refusal to help her?
(a) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is the meanest old woman she knows.
(b) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is going to pay for refusing to help her.
(c) Clarissa says that Mrs. Howe's decision proves that she is out of her mind.
(d) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe made the right decision in refusing to help her.
12. What does the Widow Sinclair overhear that makes her angry with Clarissa?
(a) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the carpets and drapes are in very bad taste.
(b) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the Widow Sinclair really needs to do something about her hair.
(c) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa talking about her house's reputation.
(d) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that she's always loved Lovelace and is enjoying teasing him.
13. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
(a) Rosebud has a baby with Lovelace.
(b) Lovelace is just being nice to Rosebud, giving her money so she can afford to get married.
(c) Rosebud is really Lovelace in disguise.
(d) Rosebud is Lovelace's daughter.
14. Why does Clarissa run away after the fire at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) She believes Lovelace set the fire to get a chance to ravish her.
(b) She wants to join the circus.
(c) She set the fire herself so she could run away.
(d) She hates fire even more than Lovelace.
15. Whose house is Clarissa staying in while in London?
(a) Mrs. Howe.
(b) Aunt Hervey.
(c) Lady Betty Lawrence.
(d) Widow Sinclair.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
2. What part of Clarissa's body does James injure during the meeting with Solmes?
3. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
4. In addition to the information about the Widow Sinclair, what else does the revealing letter from Miss Howe say?
5. How does Clarissa's maid Betty treat her?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)