|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Lovelace know about everything that happens at Clarissa's house?
(a) He is psychic.
(b) He hangs around in the bushes and listens to their conversations.
(c) He has hired one of their servants as a spy.
(d) He is secretly dating Arabella, who tells him what is happening.
2. Which of the following best describes the style of this book?
(a) A play.
(b) One long letter written by one person.
(c) A series of letters exchanged between several people.
(d) A young woman's diary.
3. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
(a) Because the servant will not say why he is asking.
(b) Because Dorcas is unpredictable.
(c) Because Dorcas does not know the answers to the questions he is asking.
(d) Because the servant kissed Dorcas.
4. What does Lord M promise to do if Lovelace marries Clarissa but is a bad husband?
(a) Lord M says Clarissa can divorce Lovelace and marry Lord M instead.
(b) Lord M says he will lock Lovelace up in Lord M's dungeon until he promises to be good.
(c) Lord M says he will have Lovelace arrested and imprisoned.
(d) Lord M says he will disinherit Lovelace and leave his money to Clarissa and her children instead.
5. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
(a) James and Arabella think Morden will talk Solmes out of wanting to marry Clarissa.
(b) James and Arabella plan to murder Morden when he returns and inherit his property.
(c) James and Arabella are afraid Morden will give Clarissa her independence.
(d) James and Arabella know Morden will be happy about the marriage and they want to surprise him.
6. Clarissa admits she would prefer Lovelace if only he had what quality?
(a) Good looks.
(c) A great singing voice.
7. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
(a) Colonel Morden.
(b) Her brother James.
(c) Her uncle Antony.
(d) Her aunt Hervey.
8. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or become James's maid in Scotland.
(b) Clarissa will give James all her chickens, and she will help Arabella get Lovelace to marry her.
(c) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or she will marry a servant.
(d) Clarissa will give James half her inheritance and give him her best maid to take to Scotland.
9. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
(a) Lord M is very ugly.
(b) Lord M hates Clarissa and does not want Lovelace to get married.
(c) Lord M is ill with gout, so they can't set a date.
(d) Clarissa hates Lord M.
10. What goal does Lovelace say he will achieve by trying to seduce Clarissa?
(a) Test his own seductiveness.
(b) Keep himself busy.
(c) Test the virtue of all women.
(d) Achieve his 100th seduction.
11. Lovelace tells his friend Belford that he's happy to have Clarissa under his control, but that only one thing takes away from his happiness. What is that one thing?
(a) Lovelace wishes Clarissa did not have any stain on her reputation.
(b) Lovelace wishes that Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman could be there with them to comfort Clarissa.
(c) Lovelace suspects that Clarissa does not prefer him to any other man.
(d) Lovelace finds that Clarissa is not as beautiful as he thought at first.
12. How does Clarissa's maid Betty treat her?
(a) Betty fears Clarissa.
(b) Betty treats Clarissa rudely.
(c) Betty worships Clarissa.
(d) Betty tries to help Clarissa escape.
13. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
(a) His high opinion of himself.
(b) His love of women.
(c) His love of money.
(d) His drinking.
14. When Lovelace and Clarissa get a room together at an inn, what do they pretend to be?
(a) Uncle and niece.
(b) Brother and sister.
(c) Grandfather and granddaughter.
15. What makes Lovelace vomit?
(a) A bad smell in the house.
(b) Nerves about the wedding.
(c) He took a drug to make himself throw up.
(d) Bad shellfish.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
2. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
3. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
4. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
5. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)