|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where is Clarissa planning to go while Lovelace visits the dying Lord M?
(d) The Isle of Wight.
2. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
(a) They believe this means she eventually will agree to marry him.
(b) Solmes has agreed to give them money in return for a meeting with her.
(c) They believe she will turn him down, and they can finally forget about the whole thing.
(d) Solmes threatened the family if they did not let him see her.
3. In addition to the information about the Widow Sinclair, what else does the revealing letter from Miss Howe say?
(a) That there is no such person as Mr. Hickman, and Miss Howe does not really have a fiance.
(b) That there is no such person as Captain Tomlinson.
(c) That Mr. Lovelace is an impostor, and Clarissa has never met the real Mr. Lovelace.
(d) That Miss Howe used to work in the Widow Sinclair's house.
4. Why does Lovelace spread a rumor that James still plans to kidnap Clarissa?
(a) To make sure Clarissa will still want Lovelace's protection.
(b) Because Lovelace plans to kidnap Arabella.
(c) Because it is true.
(d) To hurt James's reputation.
5. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A wrestling match.
(b) A debate.
(c) A duel.
(d) A game of chess.
6. What does Lord M promise to do if Lovelace marries Clarissa but is a bad husband?
(a) Lord M says Clarissa can divorce Lovelace and marry Lord M instead.
(b) Lord M says he will lock Lovelace up in Lord M's dungeon until he promises to be good.
(c) Lord M says he will disinherit Lovelace and leave his money to Clarissa and her children instead.
(d) Lord M says he will have Lovelace arrested and imprisoned.
7. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
(b) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
(c) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
(d) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
8. What does Clarissa say about Mrs. Howe's refusal to help her?
(a) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe made the right decision in refusing to help her.
(b) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is the meanest old woman she knows.
(c) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is going to pay for refusing to help her.
(d) Clarissa says that Mrs. Howe's decision proves that she is out of her mind.
9. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
(a) Send a letter to the London Times explaining what happened.
(b) Marry Solmes.
(c) Go to Scotland.
(d) Marry Lovelace.
10. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Guilty and regretful.
(b) Hopeful that the tricks will succeed.
(c) Full of anger at Clarissa.
(d) Very amused.
11. Why doesn't Clarissa read the letter from Miss Howe that tells her that Widow Sinclair keeps a house of prostitution as soon as the letter arrives?
(a) Because Clarissa has fainted again.
(b) Because the letter arrives after Clarissa has run away.
(c) Because Clarissa is not speaking to Miss Howe.
(d) Because Mr. Solmes intercepted the letter, so it never got to Widow Sinclair's house.
12. When does Clarissa say she will set a wedding date?
(a) As soon as she talks to her wedding planner.
(b) As soon as her family says they will come to the wedding.
(c) As soon as the dressmaker finishes her wedding dress.
(d) As soon as Lovelace gets a marriage license.
13. How does Lovelace know about everything that happens at Clarissa's house?
(a) He has hired one of their servants as a spy.
(b) He is psychic.
(c) He is secretly dating Arabella, who tells him what is happening.
(d) He hangs around in the bushes and listens to their conversations.
14. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
(a) James and Arabella know Morden will be happy about the marriage and they want to surprise him.
(b) James and Arabella plan to murder Morden when he returns and inherit his property.
(c) James and Arabella think Morden will talk Solmes out of wanting to marry Clarissa.
(d) James and Arabella are afraid Morden will give Clarissa her independence.
15. Which of Lovelace's friends is pleased to learn of Clarissa's escape?
(b) Mr. Solmes.
(c) Captain Tomlinson.
(d) Mr. Belford.
Short Answer Questions
1. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
2. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
3. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
4. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
5. Which of the following best describes the style of this book?
This section contains 911 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)