|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
(a) Her uncle Antony.
(b) Her brother James.
(c) Her aunt Hervey.
(d) Colonel Morden.
2. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
(a) Because Dorcas does not know the answers to the questions he is asking.
(b) Because Dorcas is unpredictable.
(c) Because the servant kissed Dorcas.
(d) Because the servant will not say why he is asking.
3. Why do the women at Mrs. Moore's house take Lovelace's side?
(a) Women always side with a good-looking man.
(b) Clarissa is mean to them.
(c) Lovelace tells the women that Clarissa is his wife.
(d) Lovelace promises to make them all rich if they help him.
4. What does the Widow Sinclair overhear that makes her angry with Clarissa?
(a) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa talking about her house's reputation.
(b) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the carpets and drapes are in very bad taste.
(c) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that she's always loved Lovelace and is enjoying teasing him.
(d) The Widow Sinclair hears Clarissa saying that the Widow Sinclair really needs to do something about her hair.
5. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
(a) Dorcas told Clarissa what they said.
(b) Clarissa eavesdropped on them.
(c) Tomlinson wrote Clarissa a letter and told her.
(d) Lovelace told Clarissa what they said.
6. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A duel.
(b) A wrestling match.
(c) A game of chess.
(d) A debate.
7. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
(b) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
(c) She wants her jewelry.
(d) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
8. With whom does Lovelace have a child?
(a) Miss Howe.
(b) Miss Betterton.
(d) Aunt Hervey.
9. Who is Tomlinson, really?
(a) Lovelace in disguise.
(b) Mr. Solmes.
(c) Patrick M'Donald, a friend of Lovelace's.
(d) Mr. Hickman.
10. Why does Lovelace think that Lord M dying might help him get Clarissa to marry him?
(a) Because he thinks Clarissa will feel sorry for him when he's grieving.
(b) Because he hopes the money he will inherit will impress Clarissa.
(c) Because he suspects Clarissa loves Lord M, but once Lord M is dead, Clarissa will turn to Lovelace for comfort.
(d) Because Clarissa never liked Lord M.
11. What does Mr. Belton learn that his mistress did to him?
(a) Opened a house of prostitution.
(b) Gave Belton's money to her boyfriend.
(c) Ran off to New York.
(d) Told everyone that she and Belton were not married.
12. Which of the following best describes the style of this book?
(a) A series of letters exchanged between several people.
(b) A young woman's diary.
(c) One long letter written by one person.
(d) A play.
13. Who does Clarissa write to, asking for help persuading her father not to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) John Belford.
(b) Mrs. Howe.
(c) Uncle Antony.
(d) Aunt Antonia.
14. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
15. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
(a) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty warned her not to come.
(b) Clarissa is rich, but Lady Betty is poor.
(c) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty has not invited her.
(d) Clarissa is ill, and Lady Betty is boring.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Harlowes learn that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, which family member is actually sad for Clarissa?
2. Why does Lovelace swear to get revenge on Mr. Howe and James?
3. When Clarissa seems willing to marry Lovelace in order to reconcile with her family, why does that bother Lovelace?
4. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
5. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)