|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
(a) Lord M is very ugly.
(b) Clarissa hates Lord M.
(c) Lord M is ill with gout, so they can't set a date.
(d) Lord M hates Clarissa and does not want Lovelace to get married.
2. Whose house is Clarissa staying in while in London?
(a) Aunt Hervey.
(b) Lady Betty Lawrence.
(c) Widow Sinclair.
(d) Mrs. Howe.
3. How does Lovelace's talk with the God of Love about Clarissa end?
(a) The God of Love gives up on Clarissa.
(b) The God of Love convinces Lovelace to treat Clarissa like a queen.
(c) Lovelace tells the God of Love that he will become a better man in order to deserve Clarissa.
(d) The God of Love tells Lovelace that Clarissa really loves Mr. Hickman.
4. When Clarissa runs away after the fire, what does she plan to do if Lovelace does not find her?
(a) Stay right where she is.
(b) Go back to Harlowe Place and act like nothing happened.
(c) Leave the country.
(d) Marry Mr. Solmes.
5. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
(b) She wants her jewelry.
(c) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
(d) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
6. Why does Lovelace swear to get revenge on Mr. Howe and James?
(a) Because Arabella refused to marry him.
(b) Because they are so mean to Clarissa.
(c) Because he finds out they hired spies to watch him.
(d) Because Mr. Howe owed him money and refused to pay.
7. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
(a) She has heard he has seduced a lot of women.
(b) She never wants to get married at all.
(c) She never liked him in the first place.
(d) She does not like the way he talks to her.
8. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
(c) She loves them both but can not decide which to marry.
9. What does Lovelace tell Clarissa that makes her feel bad for him?
(a) Lovelace says he has spent his entire fortune buying her presents.
(b) Lovelace says he's never kissed a girl because he's waiting for her.
(c) Lovelace says he has spent two nights in the garden waiting for her and he got sick as a result.
(d) Lovelace says he spent two nights waiting for her in the chicken house and he can't stand the smell any longer.
10. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
(a) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty has not invited her.
(b) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty warned her not to come.
(c) Clarissa is ill, and Lady Betty is boring.
(d) Clarissa is rich, but Lady Betty is poor.
11. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) He wants to check his mail.
(b) He wants to drug and rape Clarissa.
(c) He can't pass by without greeting the prostitutes.
(d) It's hot, so he wants to stop for water.
12. Who is Tomlinson, really?
(a) Patrick M'Donald, a friend of Lovelace's.
(b) Lovelace in disguise.
(c) Mr. Solmes.
(d) Mr. Hickman.
13. Which two characters visit Clarissa in letters 37-45 to try to persuade her to marry Solmes?
(a) Rosebud and her boyfriend.
(b) Mrs. Norton and Aunt Hervey.
(c) Miss Howe and Mrs. Howe.
(d) Lovelace's aunts.
14. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
15. When Lovelace and Clarissa get a room together at an inn, what do they pretend to be?
(b) Uncle and niece.
(c) Grandfather and granddaughter.
(d) Brother and sister.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
2. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
3. Which of the following is one of the things Lovelace wrote in a forged letter, which is made to look like it was written by Miss Howe?
4. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
5. How do Lovelace's friends react when they learn that Clarissa does not like them?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)