|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Guilty and regretful.
(b) Hopeful that the tricks will succeed.
(c) Full of anger at Clarissa.
(d) Very amused.
2. What two reasons does Clarissa give for not visiting Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence?
(a) Clarissa is ill, and Lady Betty is boring.
(b) Clarissa is rich, but Lady Betty is poor.
(c) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty has not invited her.
(d) Clarissa has no clothes, and Lady Betty warned her not to come.
3. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
(a) Bring legal charges against Lovelace.
(b) Go to rehab to make sure she does not get addicted.
(c) Marry Mr. Solmes quickly, in case Clarissa is pregnant.
(d) Drug him with opium and leave him in the gutter.
4. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Clarissa's godmother.
(b) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(c) Clarissa's aunt.
(d) Lovelace's mistress.
5. Why does Clarissa faint when she finds out that they cannot leave the Widow Sinclair's house because Charlotte is sick?
(a) Charlotte is her best friend.
(b) She believes this is the final blow to her reputation.
(c) Clarissa knows that Lovelace's next step will be to kidnap her and take her to Australia.
(d) The air at the Widow Sinclair's house smells so bad that Clarissa passed out from the fumes.
6. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
(b) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
(c) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
(d) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
7. Why does Clarissa run away after the fire at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) She set the fire herself so she could run away.
(b) She hates fire even more than Lovelace.
(c) She wants to join the circus.
(d) She believes Lovelace set the fire to get a chance to ravish her.
8. Who does Lovelace persuade Clarissa to allow to serve as a mediator between them at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Miss Howe.
(b) The Widow Sinclair.
(c) Mrs. Howe.
(d) Lovelace's aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence.
9. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
10. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
(a) Because of his family name, his money and his good looks.
(b) Because he expects Clarissa to defend him.
(c) Because everyone hates the Howes.
(d) Because rape is considered a minor offense.
11. With whom does Lovelace have a child?
(a) Miss Betterton.
(b) Miss Howe.
(d) Aunt Hervey.
12. When does Clarissa say she will set a wedding date?
(a) As soon as she talks to her wedding planner.
(b) As soon as the dressmaker finishes her wedding dress.
(c) As soon as her family says they will come to the wedding.
(d) As soon as Lovelace gets a marriage license.
13. How does Clarissa's maid Betty treat her?
(a) Betty fears Clarissa.
(b) Betty tries to help Clarissa escape.
(c) Betty worships Clarissa.
(d) Betty treats Clarissa rudely.
14. What important news does Colonel Morden's letter contain?
(a) Colonel Morden thinks Clarissa should have married Solmes.
(b) Colonel Morden has learned that Lovelace is really Clarissa's brother.
(c) Colonel Morden has challenged James to a duel.
(d) Colonel Morden is never returning to England.
15. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
(a) Because the servant will not say why he is asking.
(b) Because Dorcas is unpredictable.
(c) Because the servant kissed Dorcas.
(d) Because Dorcas does not know the answers to the questions he is asking.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
2. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
3. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
4. When Clarissa seems willing to marry Lovelace in order to reconcile with her family, why does that bother Lovelace?
5. Why does Lovelace swear to get revenge on Mr. Howe and James?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)