|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Miss Howe says she is going to write to Clarissa even though her mother does not allow her to, what does Clarissa tell her?
(a) Clarissa is glad Miss Howe will still write to her.
(b) Clarissa tells Miss Howe she never really liked her anyway.
(c) Clarissa tells Miss Howe not to write, but that Mr. Hickman can write.
(d) Clarissa tells Miss Howe to come to London in person.
2. After being ravished, what is the main thing Clarissa wants from her family?
(a) She wants her parents to pay for a lawyer to take Lovelace to court.
(b) She wants her jewelry.
(c) She wants her mother to take her to the hospital.
(d) She wants her father to renounce his curse against her.
3. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
(a) Because Dorcas is unpredictable.
(b) Because the servant will not say why he is asking.
(c) Because the servant kissed Dorcas.
(d) Because Dorcas does not know the answers to the questions he is asking.
4. In letters 31-36, what does Lovelace tell his friend Belford about his feelings for Clarissa?
(a) That he does not love her and is only courting her to get back at her father and brother.
(b) That he really does love her.
(c) That he plans to kidnap her and drug her.
(d) That he is giving up on her, since she really is not into him.
5. How does Lovelace's talk with the God of Love about Clarissa end?
(a) Lovelace tells the God of Love that he will become a better man in order to deserve Clarissa.
(b) The God of Love tells Lovelace that Clarissa really loves Mr. Hickman.
(c) The God of Love gives up on Clarissa.
(d) The God of Love convinces Lovelace to treat Clarissa like a queen.
6. Who is Tomlinson, really?
(a) Patrick M'Donald, a friend of Lovelace's.
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Mr. Solmes.
(d) Lovelace in disguise.
7. What goal does Lovelace say he will achieve by trying to seduce Clarissa?
(a) Test the virtue of all women.
(b) Keep himself busy.
(c) Achieve his 100th seduction.
(d) Test his own seductiveness.
8. Why does Lord M want Lovelace to have children with Clarissa?
(a) Because Lord M knows that Clarissa loves kids.
(b) So that Lovelace will have legitimate heirs.
(c) Because Lord M loves kids.
(d) Because Lord M thinks fatherhood will help Lovelace stop drinking so much.
9. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A duel.
(b) A game of chess.
(c) A debate.
(d) A wrestling match.
10. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
(a) Dorcas told Clarissa what they said.
(b) Clarissa eavesdropped on them.
(c) Lovelace told Clarissa what they said.
(d) Tomlinson wrote Clarissa a letter and told her.
11. With whom does Lovelace have a child?
(b) Miss Howe.
(c) Miss Betterton.
(d) Aunt Hervey.
12. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
(a) A hotel.
(b) Uncle Antony's house.
(d) The house of his aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence.
13. When Clarissa runs away after the fire, what does she plan to do if Lovelace does not find her?
(a) Stay right where she is.
(b) Marry Mr. Solmes.
(c) Go back to Harlowe Place and act like nothing happened.
(d) Leave the country.
14. When Lovelace and Clarissa get a room together at an inn, what do they pretend to be?
(a) Brother and sister.
(b) Uncle and niece.
(d) Grandfather and granddaughter.
15. Why does Lovelace expect to be pardoned if he succeeds in his plan to rape Mrs. Howe and Miss Howe?
(a) Because of his family name, his money and his good looks.
(b) Because everyone hates the Howes.
(c) Because he expects Clarissa to defend him.
(d) Because rape is considered a minor offense.
Short Answer Questions
1. In letter 21, how is Clarissa punished for refusing to be nice to Mr. Solmes?
2. When Clarissa threatens to commit suicide in the dining room, what weapon does she have with her?
3. Lovelace tells his friend Belford that he's happy to have Clarissa under his control, but that only one thing takes away from his happiness. What is that one thing?
4. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
5. Why does Clarissa faint when she finds out that they cannot leave the Widow Sinclair's house because Charlotte is sick?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)