|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When does Clarissa say she will set a wedding date?
(a) As soon as her family says they will come to the wedding.
(b) As soon as the dressmaker finishes her wedding dress.
(c) As soon as Lovelace gets a marriage license.
(d) As soon as she talks to her wedding planner.
2. When the Harlowes learn that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, which family member is actually sad for Clarissa?
(a) Her mother.
(b) Her brother.
(c) Her aunt Clarissa.
(d) Her father.
3. How does Solmes believe husbands should handle wives?
(a) Allow them to act any way they want.
(b) Treat them with love and respect.
(c) Rule them through fear.
(d) Keep them barefoot and in the kitchen.
4. What does James plan to do with Clarissa if he "rescues" her?
(a) Send Clarissa to his estate in Scotland.
(b) Have Clarissa arrested and sent to jail for prostitution.
(c) Send Clarissa to a madhouse.
(d) Send Clarissa to a convent.
5. Who is Miss Howe?
(a) Arabella's best friend.
(b) Clarissa's best friend.
(c) Clarissa's sister.
(d) Clarissa and Arabella's nanny.
6. Why does Lovelace think it has been easy for Clarissa to be virtuous so far?
(a) Because Clarissa was promised a lot of money if she would be virtuous.
(b) Because Clarissa has not had any big temptations yet.
(c) Because Clarissa grew up in a convent.
(d) Because Clarissa is not smart enough to see opportunities.
7. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
(a) Because Belford is a minister.
(b) Because Belford is afraid Lovelace will end up in jail.
(c) Because the situation is unfair.
(d) Because Belford fears that Clarissa will commit suicide.
8. When Lovelace and Clarissa get a room together at an inn, what do they pretend to be?
(a) Uncle and niece.
(b) Brother and sister.
(d) Grandfather and granddaughter.
9. How does Lovelace know about everything that happens at Clarissa's house?
(a) He is secretly dating Arabella, who tells him what is happening.
(b) He hangs around in the bushes and listens to their conversations.
(c) He is psychic.
(d) He has hired one of their servants as a spy.
10. Where is Clarissa planning to go while Lovelace visits the dying Lord M?
(a) The Isle of Wight.
11. Why does Arabella say the Harlowes refuse to send Clarissa her money or jewelry?
(a) Because they don't think it is safe to mail money and jewelry.
(b) Because they don't want the money to end up in Lovelace's hands.
(c) Because they want to see her beg in the streets.
(d) Because the family has gone bankrupt.
12. What does Lord M promise to do if Lovelace marries Clarissa but is a bad husband?
(a) Lord M says he will have Lovelace arrested and imprisoned.
(b) Lord M says Clarissa can divorce Lovelace and marry Lord M instead.
(c) Lord M says he will lock Lovelace up in Lord M's dungeon until he promises to be good.
(d) Lord M says he will disinherit Lovelace and leave his money to Clarissa and her children instead.
13. What part of Clarissa's body does James injure during the meeting with Solmes?
(a) Her foot.
(b) Her head.
(c) Her hand.
(d) Her leg.
14. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
(a) Her brother James.
(b) Her uncle Antony.
(c) Colonel Morden.
(d) Her aunt Hervey.
15. Lovelace tells his friend Belford that he's happy to have Clarissa under his control, but that only one thing takes away from his happiness. What is that one thing?
(a) Lovelace suspects that Clarissa does not prefer him to any other man.
(b) Lovelace finds that Clarissa is not as beautiful as he thought at first.
(c) Lovelace wishes that Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman could be there with them to comfort Clarissa.
(d) Lovelace wishes Clarissa did not have any stain on her reputation.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
2. Which of the following is one of the things Lovelace wrote in a forged letter, which is made to look like it was written by Miss Howe?
3. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
4. Who does Mrs. Howe blame for her own refusal of Uncle Antony's marriage proposal?
5. Which of Lovelace's friends is pleased to learn of Clarissa's escape?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)