|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Lovelace tells his friend Belford that he's happy to have Clarissa under his control, but that only one thing takes away from his happiness. What is that one thing?
(a) Lovelace wishes that Miss Howe and Mr. Hickman could be there with them to comfort Clarissa.
(b) Lovelace finds that Clarissa is not as beautiful as he thought at first.
(c) Lovelace suspects that Clarissa does not prefer him to any other man.
(d) Lovelace wishes Clarissa did not have any stain on her reputation.
2. Who wrote the letter about Lovelace that Solmes reads?
(a) Lovelace wrote it himself.
(b) Uncle Antony.
(c) Miss Howe.
(d) It's anonymous.
3. Who is Miss Howe?
(a) Arabella's best friend.
(b) Clarissa and Arabella's nanny.
(c) Clarissa's best friend.
(d) Clarissa's sister.
4. What goal does Lovelace say he will achieve by trying to seduce Clarissa?
(a) Keep himself busy.
(b) Test his own seductiveness.
(c) Test the virtue of all women.
(d) Achieve his 100th seduction.
5. In the dream Clarissa has, what does Lovelace do to her?
(a) Call her names.
(b) Make her queen.
(c) Kill her.
(d) Give her a pink cake with a tag that says "Eat me."
6. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
(a) His love of money.
(b) His love of women.
(c) His drinking.
(d) His high opinion of himself.
7. How does Clarissa know what Lovelace and Tomlinson said to each other?
(a) Clarissa eavesdropped on them.
(b) Lovelace told Clarissa what they said.
(c) Tomlinson wrote Clarissa a letter and told her.
(d) Dorcas told Clarissa what they said.
8. Why does Clarissa faint when she finds out that they cannot leave the Widow Sinclair's house because Charlotte is sick?
(a) She believes this is the final blow to her reputation.
(b) The air at the Widow Sinclair's house smells so bad that Clarissa passed out from the fumes.
(c) Clarissa knows that Lovelace's next step will be to kidnap her and take her to Australia.
(d) Charlotte is her best friend.
9. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
(a) To marry Lovelace.
(b) To change her hairstyle.
(c) To obey her parents and marry Solmes.
(d) To come and stay with Miss Howe until the whole thing blows over.
10. Which of the following deals does Clarissa offer to James if he will stop trying to force her to marry Solmes?
(a) Clarissa will give James all her chickens, and she will help Arabella get Lovelace to marry her.
(b) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or she will marry a servant.
(c) Clarissa will give James half her inheritance and give him her best maid to take to Scotland.
(d) Clarissa will give up her inheritance or become James's maid in Scotland.
11. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(b) Lovelace's mistress.
(c) Clarissa's godmother.
(d) Clarissa's aunt.
12. What important news does Colonel Morden's letter contain?
(a) Colonel Morden has learned that Lovelace is really Clarissa's brother.
(b) Colonel Morden is never returning to England.
(c) Colonel Morden has challenged James to a duel.
(d) Colonel Morden thinks Clarissa should have married Solmes.
13. What part of Clarissa's body does James injure during the meeting with Solmes?
(a) Her leg.
(b) Her hand.
(c) Her foot.
(d) Her head.
14. When Clarissa visits Lovelace's bedroom in her nightgown, what does she ask him?
(a) Why he does not get mental help.
(b) What is going to happen to her next.
(c) Why he didn't marry Arabella.
(d) Whether he likes this nightgown.
15. When Clarissa threatens to commit suicide in the dining room, what weapon does she have with her?
(a) A gun.
(b) A penknife.
(c) A sword.
(d) A rope.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
2. Why does Clarissa refuse to follow James's command to go to her Uncle Antony's house?
3. Why does Arabella say the Harlowes refuse to send Clarissa her money or jewelry?
4. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
5. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)