|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Tomlinson, really?
(a) Mr. Solmes.
(b) Mr. Hickman.
(c) Patrick M'Donald, a friend of Lovelace's.
(d) Lovelace in disguise.
2. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
(a) Because Dr. Lewen can not stand the Harlowes.
(b) Because Dr. Lewen earlier fought a duel with Solmes.
(c) Because Dr. Lewen is sick with gout.
(d) Because Clarissa does not consent.
3. What makes Lord M a bad choice for someone to give Clarissa away at the wedding?
(a) Lord M hates Clarissa and does not want Lovelace to get married.
(b) Lord M is very ugly.
(c) Lord M is ill with gout, so they can't set a date.
(d) Clarissa hates Lord M.
4. Who is Mrs. Townsend?
(a) Clarissa's godmother.
(b) Lovelace's mistress.
(c) A lady merchant; Miss Howe plans to ask her to help Clarissa.
(d) Clarissa's aunt.
5. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
(a) Her uncle Antony.
(b) Colonel Morden.
(c) Her brother James.
(d) Her aunt Hervey.
6. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
(a) Mr. Lovelace's older brother.
(b) Mr. Solmes.
(c) Miss Howe's brother.
(d) Mr. Salmon, who is 99 years old.
7. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
(b) She loves them both but can not decide which to marry.
8. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
(a) Clarissa's brother James.
(b) Clarissa's father.
(d) Uncle Antony.
9. What does Clarissa do with the proposed marriage settlement Lovelace gives to her?
(a) Burns it.
(b) Sends it to Mrs. Harlowe.
(c) Changes it, so that Clarissa gets more money.
(d) Sends it to Miss Howe for her approval.
10. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
(a) Go to Scotland.
(b) Marry Lovelace.
(c) Send a letter to the London Times explaining what happened.
(d) Marry Solmes.
11. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Hopeful that the tricks will succeed.
(b) Very amused.
(c) Guilty and regretful.
(d) Full of anger at Clarissa.
12. Who does Mrs. Howe blame for her own refusal of Uncle Antony's marriage proposal?
(a) Mr. Hickman.
(b) Uncle Harlowe.
(c) Miss Howe.
13. After Lovelace's party, what request does Clarissa get from Miss Partington?
(a) To share Clarissa's bed for the night.
(b) To be best friends forever.
(c) To write Miss Partington a letter explaining why Clarissa won't marry Lovelace.
(d) To send Miss Partington a lock of Clarissa's hair.
14. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A duel.
(b) A wrestling match.
(c) A debate.
(d) A game of chess.
15. Why does Dorcas refuse to answer any more questions after telling the mysterious servant that Lovelace and Clarissa are married?
(a) Because the servant kissed Dorcas.
(b) Because Dorcas does not know the answers to the questions he is asking.
(c) Because the servant will not say why he is asking.
(d) Because Dorcas is unpredictable.
Short Answer Questions
1. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
2. Which two characters visit Clarissa in letters 37-45 to try to persuade her to marry Solmes?
3. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
4. How does Clarissa's maid Betty treat her?
5. Why doesn't Clarissa read the letter from Miss Howe that tells her that Widow Sinclair keeps a house of prostitution as soon as the letter arrives?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)