|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 521-537 dated September 28th through December 18th.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
(a) Marry Solmes as soon as possible.
(b) Hold out for as much money as she can get before agreeing to marry him.
(c) Run away to New York and become an actress.
(d) Marry Lovelace as soon as possible.
2. In letter 21, how is Clarissa punished for refusing to be nice to Mr. Solmes?
(a) She is forbidden to see her family and sent to her room.
(b) She is forced to be her sister's maid.
(c) She is not allowed to go to a ball.
(d) Her dairy-house is given to her brother.
3. When Clarissa seems willing to marry Lovelace in order to reconcile with her family, why does that bother Lovelace?
(a) Because Lovelace wants Clarissa to marry him because she loves him.
(b) Because Lovelace is already secretly married to Miss Betterton.
(c) Because Lovelace does not want Clarissa to be happy.
(d) Because Lovelace has decided Clarissa is not rich enough to marry him.
4. What damaging fact does Mr. Brand report to Clarissa's family?
(a) That Clarissa is faking her illness.
(b) That Clarissa was seen at a ball dancing with Lovelace and drinking.
(c) That Clarissa gets frequent visits from Lovelace's friend, Belford.
(d) That Clarissa's "illness" is really opium addiction.
5. Who stops Lovelace and Morden from fighting?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(b) Lord M.
(d) Mr. Hickman.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lovelace and Clarissa get a room together at an inn, what do they pretend to be?
2. Who does Mrs. Howe blame for her own refusal of Uncle Antony's marriage proposal?
3. What does Lovelace tell Clarissa that makes her feel bad for him?
4. When Clarissa's family say that they don't believe that she is very sick, what does she say will prove it?
5. Which adjective best describes Clarissa's behavior when discussing her death with the doctor?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)