|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 240-246 dated June 10th | Letters 247-257 dated June 11th through June 13th.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose house is Clarissa staying in while in London?
(a) Aunt Hervey.
(b) Lady Betty Lawrence.
(c) Mrs. Howe.
(d) Widow Sinclair.
2. How does Captain Tomlinson feel about helping to trick Clarissa after talking with her at Mrs. Moore's house?
(a) Very amused.
(b) Full of anger at Clarissa.
(c) Guilty and regretful.
(d) Hopeful that the tricks will succeed.
3. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
(a) James and Arabella are afraid Morden will give Clarissa her independence.
(b) James and Arabella think Morden will talk Solmes out of wanting to marry Clarissa.
(c) James and Arabella know Morden will be happy about the marriage and they want to surprise him.
(d) James and Arabella plan to murder Morden when he returns and inherit his property.
4. When Miss Howe finds out that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, what does Miss Howe advise Clarissa to do?
(a) Marry Solmes as soon as possible.
(b) Run away to New York and become an actress.
(c) Marry Lovelace as soon as possible.
(d) Hold out for as much money as she can get before agreeing to marry him.
5. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
(a) A dungeon.
(b) A house of prostitution.
(c) A non-existent address.
(d) A grocery store.
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Harlowes learn that Clarissa has run off with Lovelace, which family member is actually sad for Clarissa?
2. Why does Lord M want Lovelace to have children with Clarissa?
3. When Clarissa seems willing to marry Lovelace in order to reconcile with her family, why does that bother Lovelace?
4. When Clarissa runs away after the fire, what does she plan to do if Lovelace does not find her?
5. Why does Clarissa faint when she finds out that they cannot leave the Widow Sinclair's house because Charlotte is sick?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)