|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 207-217 dated May 25th through May 29th | Letters 218-224 dated May 30th through June 7th.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(c) Clarissa's brother James.
(d) Clarissa's father.
2. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
(a) Uncle Antony's house.
(c) A hotel.
(d) The house of his aunt, Lady Betty Lawrence.
3. When does Clarissa say she will set a wedding date?
(a) As soon as her family says they will come to the wedding.
(b) As soon as Lovelace gets a marriage license.
(c) As soon as the dressmaker finishes her wedding dress.
(d) As soon as she talks to her wedding planner.
4. Why do Arabella and James want Clarissa to marry Solmes before Colonel Morden returns?
(a) James and Arabella plan to murder Morden when he returns and inherit his property.
(b) James and Arabella know Morden will be happy about the marriage and they want to surprise him.
(c) James and Arabella think Morden will talk Solmes out of wanting to marry Clarissa.
(d) James and Arabella are afraid Morden will give Clarissa her independence.
5. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
(a) Marry Solmes.
(b) Marry Lovelace.
(c) Send a letter to the London Times explaining what happened.
(d) Go to Scotland.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which two characters visit Clarissa in letters 37-45 to try to persuade her to marry Solmes?
2. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
3. What makes Lovelace vomit?
4. What does Lord M promise to do if Lovelace marries Clarissa but is a bad husband?
5. After Clarissa's family decide they don't want her to marry Lovelace, who do they pick out for her to marry instead?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)