|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 107-119 dated April 13th through April 15th | Letters 120-137 dated April 15th through April 21st.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Lovelace swear to get revenge on Mr. Howe and James?
(a) Because they are so mean to Clarissa.
(b) Because Arabella refused to marry him.
(c) Because he finds out they hired spies to watch him.
(d) Because Mr. Howe owed him money and refused to pay.
2. Why does Lovelace think it has been easy for Clarissa to be virtuous so far?
(a) Because Clarissa is not smart enough to see opportunities.
(b) Because Clarissa grew up in a convent.
(c) Because Clarissa was promised a lot of money if she would be virtuous.
(d) Because Clarissa has not had any big temptations yet.
3. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
(b) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
(c) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
(d) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
4. What contest does Clarissa challenge James to?
(a) A game of chess.
(b) A debate.
(c) A duel.
(d) A wrestling match.
5. What does Clarissa say about Mrs. Howe's refusal to help her?
(a) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is going to pay for refusing to help her.
(b) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe is the meanest old woman she knows.
(c) Clarissa says Mrs. Howe made the right decision in refusing to help her.
(d) Clarissa says that Mrs. Howe's decision proves that she is out of her mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
2. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
3. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
4. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
5. Why does Dr. Lewen refuse to perform the wedding ceremony?
This section contains 427 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)