|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 107-119 dated April 13th through April 15th | Letters 120-137 dated April 15th through April 21st.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Solmes believe husbands should handle wives?
(a) Allow them to act any way they want.
(b) Keep them barefoot and in the kitchen.
(c) Treat them with love and respect.
(d) Rule them through fear.
2. When Mr. Lovelace proposes marriage to Arabella, why does she say no?
(a) She does not like the way he talks to her.
(b) She never liked him in the first place.
(c) She never wants to get married at all.
(d) She has heard he has seduced a lot of women.
3. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
(a) Marry Lovelace.
(b) Send a letter to the London Times explaining what happened.
(c) Marry Solmes.
(d) Go to Scotland.
4. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
(b) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
(c) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
(d) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
5. What does James plan to do with Clarissa if he "rescues" her?
(a) Send Clarissa to a madhouse.
(b) Have Clarissa arrested and sent to jail for prostitution.
(c) Send Clarissa to his estate in Scotland.
(d) Send Clarissa to a convent.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
2. When Lovelace and Clarissa get a room together at an inn, what do they pretend to be?
3. Where does Lovelace offer to take Clarissa to get her away from her family?
4. What does Lovelace say is the cause of all his sins?
5. Why does Lovelace swear to get revenge on Mr. Howe and James?
This section contains 352 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)