|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 477-499 dated September 7th through September 10th.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
(a) Bring legal charges against Lovelace.
(b) Go to rehab to make sure she does not get addicted.
(c) Marry Mr. Solmes quickly, in case Clarissa is pregnant.
(d) Drug him with opium and leave him in the gutter.
2. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
(a) To marry Lovelace.
(b) To come and stay with Miss Howe until the whole thing blows over.
(c) To change her hairstyle.
(d) To obey her parents and marry Solmes.
3. What does Clarissa explain she meant when she said she hoped she would be able to receive Mr. Lovelace in her father's house?
(a) Clarissa meant that she would meet Lovelace in the garden at Harlowe Place to marry him before she dies.
(b) That Lovelace will reform and Clarissa will be able to meet him in heaven.
(c) That Clarissa hopes her parents will change their minds about Lovelace, and if they do, she will marry him.
(d) Clarissa is planning to take legal action against her parents; if she succeeds, she will evict them from Harlowe Place and marry Lovelace there.
4. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
(b) The Widow SInclair's.
(c) His own.
(d) Uncle Harlowe's.
5. Why does learning what Mr. Brand said in his letter to her family change the way Clarissa thinks about her family's treatment of her?
(a) Because Brand told them that they should reconcile with her, but they ignored him.
(b) Because Brand was watching the wrong woman, so everything he told them was about someone else.
(c) Because the information that Brand provided made Clarissa look very bad.
(d) Because Brand had been paid off by Mr. Solmes to lie about Clarissa.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Lovelace reads Clarissa's letter about going to her "father's house," why is he happy?
2. Who (besides Clarissa) asks Belford to be the executor of a will?
3. Why is Clarissa's family happy that she has agreed to see Solmes?
4. How does Clarissa escape while Lovelace is visiting Lord M?
5. What kind of place does Lovelace trick Clarissa into choosing for her lodging in London?
This section contains 523 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)