|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 167-175 dated May 2nd through May 9th | Letters 176-188 dated May 9th through May 18th.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
(a) In her rooms, but she can go into the garden when no one else is there.
(b) In the kitchen, where she will cook during the day and sleep on the floor at night.
(c) In the Tower of London.
(d) In the cellar.
2. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
(a) To change her hairstyle.
(b) To obey her parents and marry Solmes.
(c) To marry Lovelace.
(d) To come and stay with Miss Howe until the whole thing blows over.
3. What part of Clarissa's body does James injure during the meeting with Solmes?
(a) Her foot.
(b) Her hand.
(c) Her head.
(d) Her leg.
4. In letters 31-36, what does Lovelace tell his friend Belford about his feelings for Clarissa?
(a) That he does not love her and is only courting her to get back at her father and brother.
(b) That he plans to kidnap her and drug her.
(c) That he really does love her.
(d) That he is giving up on her, since she really is not into him.
5. How does Lovelace know about everything that happens at Clarissa's house?
(a) He hangs around in the bushes and listens to their conversations.
(b) He is psychic.
(c) He has hired one of their servants as a spy.
(d) He is secretly dating Arabella, who tells him what is happening.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does James plan to do with Clarissa if he "rescues" her?
2. How does Miss Howe recommend Clarissa save her reputation?
3. Who is courting Mrs. Howe?
4. Who does Miss Howe threaten to take revenge on when her mother refuses to give Clarissa protection?
5. Why does Lovelace spread a rumor that James still plans to kidnap Clarissa?
This section contains 368 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)