|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 167-175 dated May 2nd through May 9th | Letters 176-188 dated May 9th through May 18th.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When James writes to Clarissa and tells her she is basically under house arrest, where exactly does he tell her she has to stay?
(a) In the Tower of London.
(b) In the cellar.
(c) In her rooms, but she can go into the garden when no one else is there.
(d) In the kitchen, where she will cook during the day and sleep on the floor at night.
2. How does Lovelace know about everything that happens at Clarissa's house?
(a) He has hired one of their servants as a spy.
(b) He hangs around in the bushes and listens to their conversations.
(c) He is secretly dating Arabella, who tells him what is happening.
(d) He is psychic.
3. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
(a) Colonel Morden.
(b) Her uncle Antony.
(c) Her brother James.
(d) Her aunt Hervey.
4. How does Solmes believe husbands should handle wives?
(a) Rule them through fear.
(b) Keep them barefoot and in the kitchen.
(c) Treat them with love and respect.
(d) Allow them to act any way they want.
5. In letters 22-36, does Clarissa want to marry Solmes or Lovelace?
(c) She loves them both but can not decide which to marry.
Short Answer Questions
1. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
2. What important news does Colonel Morden's letter contain?
3. Why does Lovelace spread a rumor that James still plans to kidnap Clarissa?
4. What does Miss Howe learn is the truth about Lovelace and Rosebud?
5. How does Clarissa's maid Betty treat her?
This section contains 375 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)