|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 342-350 dated July 20th through July 22nd | Letters 351-369 dated July 20th through July 27th.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clarissa's maid Betty treat her?
(a) Betty tries to help Clarissa escape.
(b) Betty fears Clarissa.
(c) Betty treats Clarissa rudely.
(d) Betty worships Clarissa.
2. What reason does Clarissa's doctor give for saying she does not have to pay him?
(a) The doctor says the government should pay him, since Clarissa is so wonderful.
(b) The doctor wants to marry Clarissa.
(c) The doctor says Lovelace should pay him, since he ravished Clarissa.
(d) Some of his visits are social.
3. On whose birthday does Lovelace tentatively plan a wedding?
(a) His own.
(b) Uncle Harlowe's.
(d) The Widow SInclair's.
4. What advice does Mrs. Howe send to Clarissa?
(a) To obey her parents and marry Solmes.
(b) To come and stay with Miss Howe until the whole thing blows over.
(c) To marry Lovelace.
(d) To change her hairstyle.
5. Why does Clarissa decide London might be an acceptable place to stay?
(a) She thinks it will be easier to get married in London.
(b) She knows she can catch a plane to America at Heathrow.
(c) She thinks Lovelace might be more likely to leave her alone in London.
(d) She hopes to escape and join some travelling actors.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Belford criticizes Clarissa's family for its stubbornness, how does Clarissa respond?
2. Why does Lovelace think that Lord M dying might help him get Clarissa to marry him?
3. When Clarissa threatens to commit suicide in the dining room, what weapon does she have with her?
4. What drug does Lovelace blame for Clarissa's apparent madness after he ravishes her?
5. At the end of this section (letters 56-74), who is Clarissa pinning her hopes on?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)