|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Letters 447-459 dated August 29th through August 31st.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Clarissa learn that the "Lady Betty" she first saw in London was an impostor?
(a) Lovelace admits it.
(b) She sees a picture of Lady Betty in the newspaper.
(c) She exchanges letters with the real Lady Betty.
(d) Widow Sinclair admits it.
2. While on their way to Lady Betty's cousin's house, what excuse does Lovelace use for stopping at Widow Sinclair's house?
(a) He wants to drug and rape Clarissa.
(b) He wants to check his mail.
(c) He can't pass by without greeting the prostitutes.
(d) It's hot, so he wants to stop for water.
3. When most of Clarissa's family agrees to let Mrs. Norton go to visit Clarissa while she is dying, which member of the family holds out?
(a) Uncle Antony.
(b) Mrs. Howe.
(d) Aunt Antonia.
4. After the Howes learn of Lovelace's many tricks and his use of drugs to rape Clarissa, what do they think Clarissa should do?
(a) Bring legal charges against Lovelace.
(b) Go to rehab to make sure she does not get addicted.
(c) Marry Mr. Solmes quickly, in case Clarissa is pregnant.
(d) Drug him with opium and leave him in the gutter.
5. Why does Arabella say the Harlowes refuse to send Clarissa her money or jewelry?
(a) Because they don't think it is safe to mail money and jewelry.
(b) Because they want to see her beg in the streets.
(c) Because the family has gone bankrupt.
(d) Because they don't want the money to end up in Lovelace's hands.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Clarissa's coffin like?
2. When Miss Howe says she is going to write to Clarissa even though her mother does not allow her to, what does Clarissa tell her?
3. Why does Mr. Belford disapprove of Lovelace's plan to "test" Clarissa?
4. How does Clarissa escape while Lovelace is visiting Lord M?
5. What does Clarissa do with her coffin while she's still alive?
This section contains 460 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)