Preface, Letters 1-10 dated January 10th through February 27th | Letters 11-21 dated March 1st through March 4th
• Clarissa Harlowe is a virtuous young woman, and Miss Howe is her best friend.
• Mr. Lovelace courts Clarissa's sister, Arabella, who says no when he proposes.
• Lovelace falls in love with Clarissa and asks permission to court her.
• After a short time, the Harlowes decide to keep Clarissa apart from Lovelace.
• The Harlowes decide that Clarissa should marry Mr. Solmes.
• Clarissa can not stand Mr. Solmes and refuses to marry him.
• Clarissa tells Miss Howe she is not in love with Lovelace.
• James and Uncle Antony hire spies to watch Lovelace.
• Lovelace finds out about the spies and vows revenge.
• Mr. Harlowe offers Clarissa rewards if she marries Solmes and threatens his displeasure if she doesn't.
• Clarissa admits to her mother that she is corresponding with Lovelace.
• Clarissa is forbidden to...
This section contains 3,720 words
(approx. 13 pages at 300 words per page)