|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jonathan call as a witness that he does not have the money the thief leader demands?
2. Where was Jonathan sleeping when he was awakened?
3. After Jonathan responds to thief leader's suggestion now the thief leader wants to talk "____."
4. The thief insists he does not like to make "____."
5. What sound rings through the sky after the money demand is made?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
2. How does the thief's concept of civil peace affect the Iwegbu family?
3. How do you know about what time it is when Jonathan falls asleep?
4. What does Jonathan do or say to convince the thief he does not have the amount of the requested ransom?
5. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
6. Who is awake with Jonathan?
7. What does the thief think civil peace is?
8. What is Jonathan's attitude toward his neighbors in the light of day after the robbery?
9. What does Jonathan offer the thief and how does the thief leader and his men respond?
10. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the exchange of Biafran and Nigerian pounds in the story, discuss how the civil war affected both currencies and how this affected Jonathan and the other civil war survivors.
Essay Topic 2
Several one-dimensional characters are used in Civil Peace: man whose money is stolen, thief leader and his men, the neighbors, the Iwegbu kids. Which ones had the most significant impact on Jonathan? On the story? Support with story details.
Essay Topic 3
What is a protagonist? What makes Jonathan the protagonist of this story? Cite details from the story to support responses.
This section contains 790 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)