|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The thief tells Jonathan to _____ the smaller amount of money.
2. Who is also up with Jonathan when the neighbors come to call?
3. The thief asked, after the cry of alarm, "you ____ finish?".
4. What did the night watchman knock on to mark the hour?
5. What type of bowl is over the open fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
2. Who is at the door and what do they want?
3. What does the thief think civil peace is?
4. Who is awake with Jonathan?
5. Who do the thieves call to help the family?
6. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
7. What is significant about Jonathan's eldest being up and about at first light?
8. How does the leader of the theives exercise his authority with his men?
9. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
10. What does Jonathan offer the thief and how does the thief leader and his men respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maria is Jonathan's wife. How would the story be affected if Maria's character were not in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Based on the exchange of Biafran and Nigerian pounds in the story, discuss how the civil war affected both currencies and how this affected Jonathan and the other civil war survivors.
Essay Topic 3
Who brings up the term "civil peace" in the story? What does this mean to that character? What does this mean to Jonathan? to the story?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)