|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The thief told Jonathan he tried to help, but everyone was ____.
2. Silence followed after the thief and his men _______________.
3. After this demand what does the thief do?
4. What is Jonathan going to fill the container with?
5. Where was Jonathan sleeping when he was awakened?
Short Essay Questions
1. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
2. What is significant about Jonathan's eldest being up and about at first light?
3. How does the leader of the theives exercise his authority with his men?
4. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
5. Who is at the door and what do they want?
6. Why do the men with the thief leader disagree with him?
7. What does Jonathan offer the thief and how does the thief leader and his men respond?
8. After calling for the police, how does the thief continue to mock Jonathan?
9. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
10. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how this story deals with the presence of an unstable government and how this affects the people in the story.
Essay Topic 2
Who brings up the term "civil peace" in the story? What does this mean to that character? What does this mean to Jonathan? to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Maria is Jonathan's wife. How would the story be affected if Maria's character were not in the story?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)