|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Jonathan tries to negotiate what does the thief leader threaten to do?
2. What did the night watchman knock on to mark the hour?
3. Who was violently awakened?
4. The thief told Jonathan he tried to help, but everyone was ____.
5. Jonathan opens a small ___ box with a key to get the money out.
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is awake with Jonathan?
2. Who is at the door and what do they want?
3. What does Jonathan offer the thief and how does the thief leader and his men respond?
4. What does the thief think civil peace is?
5. What is Jonathan's attitude toward his neighbors in the light of day after the robbery?
6. Why is the family even more frightened after the thieves call for help?
7. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
8. Who do the thieves call to help the family?
9. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
10. After calling for the police, how does the thief continue to mock Jonathan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Achebe fictionalized what happened in civil war torn Nigeria after the late 1960s. He has posited that it is the African writer's duty to accurately tell the stories of his people. How is this belief reflected in Civil Peace?
Essay Topic 2
What is a protagonist? What makes Jonathan the protagonist of this story? Cite details from the story to support responses.
Essay Topic 3
What do faith, miracles, and God have to do with the development of Jonathan's character and the story?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)