|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the thief leader do based on Jonathan's response to his suggestion?
2. The thief leader tells Jonathan that he is not a ____ thief.
3. Now that the war is over, according to the thief leader, this is a time for ____ peace.
4. The thief asks Jonathan, what we gonna do "____."
5. Jonathan's voice was parched and ____.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
2. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
3. Who is at the door and what do they want?
4. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
5. What does Jonathan realize as he prepares to negotiate with the leader thief?
6. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
7. Who do the thieves call to help the family?
8. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
9. What is Jonathan's attitude toward his neighbors in the light of day after the robbery?
10. How does the thief's concept of civil peace affect the Iwegbu family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan sees his ex-miner co-workers outside the closed Coal Corporation offices and feels he has yet another miracle. What is the miracle and why does he feel it is a miracle?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how this story deals with the presence of an unstable government and how this affects the people in the story.
Essay Topic 3
Achebe presents several themes in this story. How does the Iwegbu family embody each of these specific themes: survival, family cohesiveness, and resourcefulness?
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)