|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonathan was breathless while _____.
2. After the robbery what time do the neighbors come to Jonathan's home?
3. The neighbors have to "____" with Jonathan and his family.
4. How many times did the thief knock before making a demand?
5. Who asked Jonathan, "who is knocking?"
Short Essay Questions
1. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
2. What is Jonathan's attitude toward his neighbors in the light of day after the robbery?
3. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
4. Why is the family even more frightened after the thieves call for help?
5. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
6. Who is at the door and what do they want?
7. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
8. Who is awake with Jonathan?
9. Why do the men with the thief leader disagree with him?
10. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how this story deals with the presence of an unstable government and how this affects the people in the story.
Essay Topic 2
What is "egg-rasher?" What does it signify to those receiving it? to Jonathan? to the government issuing it?
Essay Topic 3
Achebe fictionalized what happened in civil war torn Nigeria after the late 1960s. He has posited that it is the African writer's duty to accurately tell the stories of his people. How is this belief reflected in Civil Peace?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)