|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonathan's throat felt like ____.
2. The thief told Jonathan he tried to help, but everyone was ____.
3. After the robbery what time do the neighbors come to Jonathan's home?
4. Who helped the thief do what he offered?
5. What sounded like it might have fallen after the second knock?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonathan do or say to convince the thief he does not have the amount of the requested ransom?
2. What does the thief think civil peace is?
3. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
4. What is significant about Jonathan's eldest being up and about at first light?
5. Why is the Iwegbu family already in a normal routine instead of lamenting their loss?
6. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
7. What does Jonathan realize as he prepares to negotiate with the leader thief?
8. Who is awake with Jonathan?
9. How does the leader of the theives exercise his authority with his men?
10. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan sees his ex-miner co-workers outside the closed Coal Corporation offices and feels he has yet another miracle. What is the miracle and why does he feel it is a miracle?
Essay Topic 2
What is a protagonist? What makes Jonathan the protagonist of this story? Cite details from the story to support responses.
Essay Topic 3
Achebe presents several themes in this story. How does the Iwegbu family embody each of these specific themes: survival, family cohesiveness, and resourcefulness?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)