|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonathan's ___ sagged under him after the thief leader's suggestion.
2. The thief tells Jonathan to _____ the smaller amount of money.
3. How many times did the thief knock before making a demand?
4. Who weeps aloud?
5. When Jonathan tries to negotiate what does the thief leader threaten to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is awake with Jonathan?
2. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
3. What does Jonathan realize as he prepares to negotiate with the leader thief?
4. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
5. Why is the Iwegbu family already in a normal routine instead of lamenting their loss?
6. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
7. After calling for the police, how does the thief continue to mock Jonathan?
8. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
9. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
10. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Of all of Jonathan's entrepreneurial pursuits which one do you feel was the most resourceful and successful? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Achebe presents several themes in this story. How does the Iwegbu family embody each of these specific themes: survival, family cohesiveness, and resourcefulness?
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan sees his ex-miner co-workers outside the closed Coal Corporation offices and feels he has yet another miracle. What is the miracle and why does he feel it is a miracle?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)