|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonathan begged the thief leader to ____ again and to hurry up and go.
2. After the robbery what time do the neighbors come to Jonathan's home?
3. After the cry of alarm was over, what did the thief offer to do?
4. Who helped the thief do what he offered?
5. Now that the war is over, according to the thief leader, this is a time for ____ peace.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the Iwegbu family already in a normal routine instead of lamenting their loss?
2. How does the thief's concept of civil peace affect the Iwegbu family?
3. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
4. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
5. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
6. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
7. Who is awake with Jonathan?
8. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
9. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
10. What does Jonathan realize as he prepares to negotiate with the leader thief?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maria is Jonathan's wife. How would the story be affected if Maria's character were not in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Several one-dimensional characters are used in Civil Peace: man whose money is stolen, thief leader and his men, the neighbors, the Iwegbu kids. Which ones had the most significant impact on Jonathan? On the story? Support with story details.
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan kept his money in the house in a strong box. How does this help the thief? How does this help Jonathan and his family? If the money had been in a bank, how would this have affected the story?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)