|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonathan's ___ sagged under him after the thief leader's suggestion.
2. What does Jonathan tell the thief he can have if he can find it in the house?
3. Jonathan is usually a ____ sleeper.
4. The thief tells Jonathan to _____ the smaller amount of money.
5. Where was Jonathan sleeping when he was awakened?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
2. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
3. Who is at the door and what do they want?
4. What does Jonathan offer the thief and how does the thief leader and his men respond?
5. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
6. How do you know about what time it is when Jonathan falls asleep?
7. Why is the family even more frightened after the thieves call for help?
8. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
9. What does the thief think civil peace is?
10. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan's greatest miracle is his family's survival of the civil war. He holds them most dear, above even his buried bicycle and his still standing home. How does his behavior during the conflict with the thieves and immediately after the conflict support or reinforce his high value of his family.
Essay Topic 2
How do the words and character actions in the last two paragraphs of this story embody the overall theme of survival of not just Jonathan and his family, but his neighbors?
Essay Topic 3
What do faith, miracles, and God have to do with the development of Jonathan's character and the story?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)