|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who asked Jonathan, "who is knocking?"
2. The thief asks Jonathan, what we gonna do "____."
3. Jonathan's throat felt like ____.
4. After Jonathan responds to thief leader's suggestion now the thief leader wants to talk "____."
5. The thief finally tells Jonathan to bring the money "____!"
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is awake with Jonathan?
2. What does Jonathan do or say to convince the thief he does not have the amount of the requested ransom?
3. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
4. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
5. What does the thief think civil peace is?
6. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
7. What does Jonathan realize as he prepares to negotiate with the leader thief?
8. How do you know about what time it is when Jonathan falls asleep?
9. Why is the Iwegbu family already in a normal routine instead of lamenting their loss?
10. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a protagonist? What makes Jonathan the protagonist of this story? Cite details from the story to support responses.
Essay Topic 2
Based on the exchange of Biafran and Nigerian pounds in the story, discuss how the civil war affected both currencies and how this affected Jonathan and the other civil war survivors.
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan's greatest miracle is his family's survival of the civil war. He holds them most dear, above even his buried bicycle and his still standing home. How does his behavior during the conflict with the thieves and immediately after the conflict support or reinforce his high value of his family.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)