|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the robbery what time do the neighbors come to Jonathan's home?
2. What money does Jonathan offer to the thief instead of the demanded amount?
3. How many times did the thief knock before making a demand?
4. Who helped the thief do what he offered?
5. What does the thief leader do based on Jonathan's response to his suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
2. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
3. Who is awake with Jonathan?
4. How does the leader of the theives exercise his authority with his men?
5. What is significant about Jonathan's eldest being up and about at first light?
6. Who do the thieves call to help the family?
7. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
8. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
9. What does the thief think civil peace is?
10. Why do the men with the thief leader disagree with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a protagonist? What makes Jonathan the protagonist of this story? Cite details from the story to support responses.
Essay Topic 2
Who brings up the term "civil peace" in the story? What does this mean to that character? What does this mean to Jonathan? to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Maria is Jonathan's wife. How would the story be affected if Maria's character were not in the story?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)