|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jonathan call as a witness that he does not have the money the thief leader demands?
2. The second knock on the Iwegbu door was ____ and imperious.
3. What did the night watchman knock on to mark the hour?
4. The neighbors have to "____" with Jonathan and his family.
5. What is cooking on the open fire?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
2. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
3. What does Jonathan realize as he prepares to negotiate with the leader thief?
4. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
5. Who is at the door and what do they want?
6. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
7. How does the thief's concept of civil peace affect the Iwegbu family?
8. Why is the family even more frightened after the thieves call for help?
9. What does Jonathan offer the thief and how does the thief leader and his men respond?
10. What is Jonathan's attitude toward his neighbors in the light of day after the robbery?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the exchange of Biafran and Nigerian pounds in the story, discuss how the civil war affected both currencies and how this affected Jonathan and the other civil war survivors.
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan kept his money in the house in a strong box. How does this help the thief? How does this help Jonathan and his family? If the money had been in a bank, how would this have affected the story?
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan sees his ex-miner co-workers outside the closed Coal Corporation offices and feels he has yet another miracle. What is the miracle and why does he feel it is a miracle?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)