|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What or who came immediately after the cry of alarm?
2. Jonathan was breathless while _____.
3. In his attempt to negotiate, how does Jonathan address the thief and his men?
4. How do the thief's men feel about the smaller amount of money?
5. Who was violently awakened?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do you know about what time it is when Jonathan falls asleep?
2. After calling for the police, how does the thief continue to mock Jonathan?
3. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
4. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
5. Who do the thieves call to help the family?
6. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
7. Why is the family even more frightened after the thieves call for help?
8. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
9. What does Jonathan offer the thief and how does the thief leader and his men respond?
10. Who is at the door and what do they want?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan's neighbors do not come to his aid against the thieves in the pre-dawn hours yet they are at his home at first light, watching. Why is Jonathan so accepting of his neighbors not coming to help against the thieves? What do his neighbors find him doing?
Essay Topic 2
Several one-dimensional characters are used in Civil Peace: man whose money is stolen, thief leader and his men, the neighbors, the Iwegbu kids. Which ones had the most significant impact on Jonathan? On the story? Support with story details.
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan really appreciates the usefulness of his bicycle. How is this appreciation shown through out the story? Cite story details to support your responses.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)