|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The thief told Jonathan he tried to help, but everyone was ____.
2. Jonathan begged the thief leader to ____ again and to hurry up and go.
3. What is cooking on the open fire?
4. How many times did the thief knock before making a demand?
5. In his attempt to negotiate, how does Jonathan address the thief and his men?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
2. Why is the family even more frightened after the thieves call for help?
3. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
4. Who is awake with Jonathan?
5. What does the thief think civil peace is?
6. Why do the men with the thief leader disagree with him?
7. After calling for the police, how does the thief continue to mock Jonathan?
8. What is Jonathan's attitude toward his neighbors in the light of day after the robbery?
9. Who is at the door and what do they want?
10. What does Jonathan offer the thief and how does the thief leader and his men respond?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is "egg-rasher?" What does it signify to those receiving it? to Jonathan? to the government issuing it?
Essay Topic 2
How do the words and character actions in the last two paragraphs of this story embody the overall theme of survival of not just Jonathan and his family, but his neighbors?
Essay Topic 3
Who brings up the term "civil peace" in the story? What does this mean to that character? What does this mean to Jonathan? to the story?
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)