|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonathan kept the box near him on a ___.
2. After hearing the offer of the smaller amount of money the thief says it is time to ___.
3. How much money does Jonathan say that he has?
4. Who helped the thief do what he offered?
5. Where was Jonathan sleeping when he was awakened?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the family even more frightened after the thieves call for help?
2. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
3. What does Jonathan do or say to convince the thief he does not have the amount of the requested ransom?
4. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
5. How do you know about what time it is when Jonathan falls asleep?
6. Who is at the door and what do they want?
7. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
8. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
9. Who do the thieves call to help the family?
10. Who is awake with Jonathan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan's greatest miracle is his family's survival of the civil war. He holds them most dear, above even his buried bicycle and his still standing home. How does his behavior during the conflict with the thieves and immediately after the conflict support or reinforce his high value of his family.
Essay Topic 2
What do faith, miracles, and God have to do with the development of Jonathan's character and the story?
Essay Topic 3
Maria is Jonathan's wife. How would the story be affected if Maria's character were not in the story?
This section contains 702 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)