|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At first, how does Jonathan respond to the thief leader's suggestion to call someone else for help?
2. The thief tells Jonathan to _____ the smaller amount of money.
3. Jonathan's ___ sagged under him after the thief leader's suggestion.
4. Now that the war is over, according to the thief leader, this is a time for ____ peace.
5. The thief insists he does not like to make "____."
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
2. After calling for the police, how does the thief continue to mock Jonathan?
3. What does Jonathan realize as he prepares to negotiate with the leader thief?
4. Who do the thieves call to help the family?
5. How does the leader of the theives exercise his authority with his men?
6. How do you know about what time it is when Jonathan falls asleep?
7. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
8. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
9. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
10. Why do the men with the thief leader disagree with him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Achebe fictionalized what happened in civil war torn Nigeria after the late 1960s. He has posited that it is the African writer's duty to accurately tell the stories of his people. How is this belief reflected in Civil Peace?
Essay Topic 2
Achebe advocated for the fallen Biafran Republic and eventually left Nigeria for Europe to keep from being imprisoned by the Nigerian government. In Civil Peace, during and beyond the war, there are hints of the Nigerian government doing what it can to stamp out the rebels, their money, and their authority. What are some instances of this from the story? Discuss these issues surrounding the instability of the Nigerian government and the Biafran Republic as told through Civil Peace.
Essay Topic 3
What is "egg-rasher?" What does it signify to those receiving it? to Jonathan? to the government issuing it?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)