|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of bowl is over the open fire?
2. What or who came immediately after the cry of alarm?
3. At first, how does Jonathan respond to the thief leader's suggestion to call someone else for help?
4. Jonathan's voice was parched and ____.
5. What sounded like it might have fallen after the second knock?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is at the door and what do they want?
2. What is Jonathan's attitude toward his neighbors in the light of day after the robbery?
3. What does Jonathan offer the thief and how does the thief leader and his men respond?
4. How do you know about what time it is when Jonathan falls asleep?
5. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
6. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
7. After calling for the police, how does the thief continue to mock Jonathan?
8. Why is the Iwegbu family already in a normal routine instead of lamenting their loss?
9. How does the thief's concept of civil peace affect the Iwegbu family?
10. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan really appreciates the usefulness of his bicycle. How is this appreciation shown through out the story? Cite story details to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan's greatest miracle is his family's survival of the civil war. He holds them most dear, above even his buried bicycle and his still standing home. How does his behavior during the conflict with the thieves and immediately after the conflict support or reinforce his high value of his family.
Essay Topic 3
What is a protagonist? What makes Jonathan the protagonist of this story? Cite details from the story to support responses.
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)