|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. I am a ___ man Jonathan tells the thief.
2. How many times did the thief knock before making a demand?
3. At first, how does Jonathan respond to the thief leader's suggestion to call someone else for help?
4. The thief asks Jonathan, what we gonna do "____."
5. What did the night watchman knock on to mark the hour?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Jonathan's attitude toward his neighbors in the light of day after the robbery?
2. Why do the men with the thief leader disagree with him?
3. How does the thief's concept of civil peace affect the Iwegbu family?
4. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
5. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
6. What does the thief think civil peace is?
7. Who is awake with Jonathan?
8. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
9. Who is at the door and what do they want?
10. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan's greatest miracle is his family's survival of the civil war. He holds them most dear, above even his buried bicycle and his still standing home. How does his behavior during the conflict with the thieves and immediately after the conflict support or reinforce his high value of his family.
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan sees his ex-miner co-workers outside the closed Coal Corporation offices and feels he has yet another miracle. What is the miracle and why does he feel it is a miracle?
Essay Topic 3
What do faith, miracles, and God have to do with the development of Jonathan's character and the story?
This section contains 758 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)