|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the thief leader's suggestion Jonathan thought he heard more ____.
2. I am a ___ man Jonathan tells the thief.
3. What type of bowl is over the open fire?
4. Who did this person call first to help in the alarm cry?
5. Who agrees with the thief about what it is time for?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jonathan refuse the leader thief's mocking offer?
2. What is significant about Jonathan's eldest being up and about at first light?
3. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
4. How does the leader of the theives exercise his authority with his men?
5. Why is the Iwegbu family already in a normal routine instead of lamenting their loss?
6. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
7. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
8. What does Jonathan do or say to convince the thief he does not have the amount of the requested ransom?
9. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
10. How do you know about what time it is when Jonathan falls asleep?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Achebe fictionalized what happened in civil war torn Nigeria after the late 1960s. He has posited that it is the African writer's duty to accurately tell the stories of his people. How is this belief reflected in Civil Peace?
Essay Topic 2
What do faith, miracles, and God have to do with the development of Jonathan's character and the story?
Essay Topic 3
What is a protagonist? What makes Jonathan the protagonist of this story? Cite details from the story to support responses.
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)