|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Jonathan's voice was parched and ____.
2. What does Jonathan tell the thief he can have if he can find it in the house?
3. How many gallons does the container hold that Jonathan gets ready to take with him, while his neighbors watch?
4. After the robbery what time do the neighbors come to Jonathan's home?
5. Who does Jonathan call as a witness that he does not have the money the thief leader demands?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonathan do or say to convince the thief he does not have the amount of the requested ransom?
2. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
3. What do the thieves ask for, and what do they say they will do if they don't get it?
4. How does the leader of the theives exercise his authority with his men?
5. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
6. After going to bed, what happens before Jonathan is suddenly awakened?
7. What happens once the Iwegbu family knows who is at their door?
8. What is Jonathan's attitude toward his neighbors in the light of day after the robbery?
9. Why is the family even more frightened after the thieves call for help?
10. What does the thief think civil peace is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a protagonist? What makes Jonathan the protagonist of this story? Cite details from the story to support responses.
Essay Topic 2
Achebe advocated for the fallen Biafran Republic and eventually left Nigeria for Europe to keep from being imprisoned by the Nigerian government. In Civil Peace, during and beyond the war, there are hints of the Nigerian government doing what it can to stamp out the rebels, their money, and their authority. What are some instances of this from the story? Discuss these issues surrounding the instability of the Nigerian government and the Biafran Republic as told through Civil Peace.
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan sees his ex-miner co-workers outside the closed Coal Corporation offices and feels he has yet another miracle. What is the miracle and why does he feel it is a miracle?
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)