|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What goes deep to Jonathan's heart?
2. Who had built what had now become a "mountain of rubble?
3. What happened a year before Jonathan got his bicycle back?
4. How long is a fortnight?
5. How did people feel about paying Jonathan the fare?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Jonathan do after acquiring building materials?
2. What doesJonathan find miraculous upon his return to Enugu?
3. Besides his thankfulness of his present survival, how does Jonathan feel about the future for him and his family?
4. Is Jonathan's bicycle important to him? Why or why not?
5. What happened to a man who got his payment a few days before Jonathan received his payment?
6. How does Jonathan make money with his new service in paragraph 3?
7. Where did the money that Jonathan used to bribe the soldier come from?
8. How does Jonathan behave after receiving his "egg-rasher?"
9. In Paragraph 2, how did Maria get extra food for the family?
10. What is "egg-rasher?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Maria is Jonathan's wife. How would the story be affected if Maria's character were not in the story?
Essay Topic 2
Several one-dimensional characters are used in Civil Peace: man whose money is stolen, thief leader and his men, the neighbors, the Iwegbu kids. Which ones had the most significant impact on Jonathan? On the story? Support with story details.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the Iwegbu home in Enugu, the Coal Corporation office, and the bicycle.
This section contains 640 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)