|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who from Jonathan's family was near the bicycle for the year?
2. To whom did Jonathan attribute all understanding of such happenings?
3. What was peeping from the shoes of the person demanding Jonathan's bicycle?
4. What does Jonathan consider a bonus from the war?
5. What condition were the clothes of the person requesting Jonathan's bicycle?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has Jonathan survived and how does he feel about it?
2. Besides his thankfulness of his present survival, how does Jonathan feel about the future for him and his family?
3. How does the Iwegbu family behavior show their ability to adapt and survive?
4. What significance is the Coal Corporation to Jonathan and others?
5. How does Jonathan behave after receiving his "egg-rasher?"
6. How does Jonathan make money with his new service in paragraph 3?
7. Who survives with Jonathan and what does he consider this to be?
8. What doesJonathan find miraculous upon his return to Enugu?
9. How does Jonathan acquire building materials?
10. What happened to a man who got his payment a few days before Jonathan received his payment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Achebe fictionalized what happened in civil war torn Nigeria after the late 1960s. He has posited that it is the African writer's duty to accurately tell the stories of his people. How is this belief reflected in Civil Peace?
Essay Topic 2
How do the words and character actions in the last two paragraphs of this story embody the overall theme of survival of not just Jonathan and his family, but his neighbors?
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan sees his ex-miner co-workers outside the closed Coal Corporation offices and feels he has yet another miracle. What is the miracle and why does he feel it is a miracle?
This section contains 709 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)