|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jonathan wait in line?
2. Where did Jonathan travel to in Paragraph 4?
3. What is the equivalent Nigerian currency amount for the Boafran pounds paid to the carpenter?
4. What was Jonathan's occupation before the civil war?
5. Where did Jonathan collect to repair his house?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jonathan again feel so lucky after visiting the closed offices of his employer?
2. How do the Iwegbu family make money after moving back home?
3. Is Jonathan's bicycle important to him? Why or why not?
4. How do you know about what time it is when Jonathan falls asleep?
5. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
6. How does the leader of the theives exercise his authority with his men?
7. What does the greeting "happy survival" signify?
8. Who is at the door and what do they want?
9. How does Achebe show possible military corruption in the story when the thief is offering to call for help on behalf of the Iwegbu family?
10. Why do the customers use Jonathan's service?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Achebe fictionalized what happened in civil war torn Nigeria after the late 1960s. He has posited that it is the African writer's duty to accurately tell the stories of his people. How is this belief reflected in Civil Peace?
Essay Topic 2
What makes this story realistic fiction? Be sure to define realistic fiction and then use story details to demonstrate how Civil Peace is realistic fiction.
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan really appreciates the usefulness of his bicycle. How is this appreciation shown through out the story? Cite story details to support your responses.
This section contains 1,312 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)