|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jonathan turn in to be able to get this award payment.
2. Jonathan's neighborhood town is called ___ Overside.
3. To whom were the mangoes sold?
4. This survivor's greeting is given in the first days of ______ after the war.
5. Who picked mangoes?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who uses Jonathan's new service?
2. Why does Jonathan again feel so lucky after visiting the closed offices of his employer?
3. Why did Jonathan bribe the soldier at his door?
4. What does Jonathan realize after the soldier tries to commandeer his bicycle?
5. What could Jonathan's home and the destroyed concrete edifice symbolize about how the civil war impacted Nigeria and Biafra?
6. In Paragraph 2, how did Maria get extra food for the family?
7. How does Jonathan make money with his new service in paragraph 3?
8. How did Jonathan almost lose his bicycle during the war and what did he do to keep it safe?
9. What has Jonathan survived and how does he feel about it?
10. What does Jonathan's home mean to him and his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is a protagonist? What makes Jonathan the protagonist of this story? Cite details from the story to support responses.
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan really appreciates the usefulness of his bicycle. How is this appreciation shown through out the story? Cite story details to support your responses.
Essay Topic 3
How do the words and character actions in the last two paragraphs of this story embody the overall theme of survival of not just Jonathan and his family, but his neighbors?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)