|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Iwegbu family house was missing all its doors and ____.
2. What is the government name for the money Jonathan was given after waiting in line?
3. Where did Jonathan buy palm wine?
4. How many sheets were missing from the roof?
5. What was inked on the clothing of the person at Jonathan's front door?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who survives with Jonathan and what does he consider this to be?
2. How did Jonathan almost lose his bicycle during the war and what did he do to keep it safe?
3. Why does Jonathan again feel so lucky after visiting the closed offices of his employer?
4. Why is "egg-rasher" being issued?
5. Where did the money that Jonathan used to bribe the soldier come from?
6. Why do the customers use Jonathan's service?
7. Is Jonathan's bicycle important to him? Why or why not?
8. What does Jonathan realize after the soldier tries to commandeer his bicycle?
9. Besides his thankfulness of his present survival, how does Jonathan feel about the future for him and his family?
10. What does Jonathan's home mean to him and his family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Achebe advocated for the fallen Biafran Republic and eventually left Nigeria for Europe to keep from being imprisoned by the Nigerian government. In Civil Peace, during and beyond the war, there are hints of the Nigerian government doing what it can to stamp out the rebels, their money, and their authority. What are some instances of this from the story? Discuss these issues surrounding the instability of the Nigerian government and the Biafran Republic as told through Civil Peace.
Essay Topic 2
Explain how this story deals with the presence of an unstable government and how this affects the people in the story.
Essay Topic 3
How do the words and character actions in the last two paragraphs of this story embody the overall theme of survival of not just Jonathan and his family, but his neighbors?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)