|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many years of civil war did Jonathan and his family survive?
2. What was peeping from the shoes of the person demanding Jonathan's bicycle?
3. What mismatched item was the person demanding the bicycle wearing?
4. What did Jonathan find still standing in his neighborhood?
5. What had become a "mountain of rubble" two houses down?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Jonathan again feel so lucky after visiting the closed offices of his employer?
2. How has the value of the Biafran pound changed from Paragraph 2 to Paragraph 3?
3. Why do the men with the thief leader disagree with him?
4. Why is the Iwegbu family already in a normal routine instead of lamenting their loss?
5. In Paragraph 2, how did Maria get extra food for the family?
6. How does Jonathan's speech more exhibit civil peace than the thief leader's idea of civil peace?
7. Where did the money that Jonathan used to bribe the soldier come from?
8. How does the thieves' leader describe his and his men's intentions?
9. What causes Jonathan to wake so suddenly?
10. What is significant about Jonathan's eldest being up and about at first light?
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan's neighbors do not come to his aid against the thieves in the pre-dawn hours yet they are at his home at first light, watching. Why is Jonathan so accepting of his neighbors not coming to help against the thieves? What do his neighbors find him doing?
Essay Topic 2
What do faith, miracles, and God have to do with the development of Jonathan's character and the story?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the symbolism of the Iwegbu home in Enugu, the Coal Corporation office, and the bicycle.
This section contains 1,218 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)