|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many human heads are safe in Jonathan's family?
2. What condition were the clothes of the person requesting Jonathan's bicycle?
3. How many of Jonathan's children died before the war ended?
4. How many years of civil war did Jonathan and his family survive?
5. During the war, who requested Jonathan's bicycle for "urgent" action?
Short Essay Questions
1. Is Jonathan's bicycle important to him? Why or why not?
2. Why do the customers use Jonathan's service?
3. Why did Jonathan bribe the soldier at his door?
4. Describe the service Jonathan starts after digging up his bicycle, in Paragraph 3.
5. Who uses Jonathan's new service?
6. What is the general atmosphere after the war?
7. What happened to a man who got his payment a few days before Jonathan received his payment?
8. Besides his thankfulness of his present survival, how does Jonathan feel about the future for him and his family?
9. How does Jonathan acquire building materials?
10. In Paragraph 2, how did Maria get extra food for the family?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Based on the exchange of Biafran and Nigerian pounds in the story, discuss how the civil war affected both currencies and how this affected Jonathan and the other civil war survivors.
Essay Topic 2
Of all of Jonathan's entrepreneurial pursuits which one do you feel was the most resourceful and successful? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Jonathan kept his money in the house in a strong box. How does this help the thief? How does this help Jonathan and his family? If the money had been in a bank, how would this have affected the story?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)