|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who hired a carpenter?
2. Why did Jonathan switch his money from his right to his left hand after he left the crowd?
3. What did the people call the award or payment?
4. What caused the value of the Biafra pound to plummet?
5. What happened a year before Jonathan got his bicycle back?
Short Essay Questions
1. Besides his thankfulness of his present survival, how does Jonathan feel about the future for him and his family?
2. How does Jonathan behave after receiving his "egg-rasher?"
3. Why do the customers use Jonathan's service?
4. How does the Iwegbu family behavior show their ability to adapt and survive?
5. What does Jonathan realize after the soldier tries to commandeer his bicycle?
6. What does Jonathan do after acquiring building materials?
7. Why did Jonathan bribe the soldier at his door?
8. Who survives with Jonathan and what does he consider this to be?
9. How does Jonathan make money with his new service in paragraph 3?
10. How has the value of the Biafran pound changed from Paragraph 2 to Paragraph 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is "egg-rasher?" What does it signify to those receiving it? to Jonathan? to the government issuing it?
Essay Topic 2
Achebe presents several themes in this story. How does the Iwegbu family embody each of these specific themes: survival, family cohesiveness, and resourcefulness?
Essay Topic 3
Of all of Jonathan's entrepreneurial pursuits which one do you feel was the most resourceful and successful? Why?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)