|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jonathan's bicycle need when he got it back?
2. Where did Jonathan buy palm wine?
3. On average how many pounds did Jonathan earn per day with his taxi service?
4. What was Jonathan's occupation before the civil war?
5. Where did Jonathan's taxi go?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jonathan behave after receiving his "egg-rasher?"
2. What has Jonathan survived and how does he feel about it?
3. What does Jonathan realize after the soldier tries to commandeer his bicycle?
4. What is "egg-rasher?"
5. Why is "egg-rasher" being issued?
6. What happened to a man who got his payment a few days before Jonathan received his payment?
7. Would Jonathan be considered an entrepreneur? Why or why not?
8. In Paragraph 2, how did Maria get extra food for the family?
9. What doesJonathan find miraculous upon his return to Enugu?
10. Who survives with Jonathan and what does he consider this to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan really appreciates the usefulness of his bicycle. How is this appreciation shown through out the story? Cite story details to support your responses.
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan's greatest miracle is his family's survival of the civil war. He holds them most dear, above even his buried bicycle and his still standing home. How does his behavior during the conflict with the thieves and immediately after the conflict support or reinforce his high value of his family.
Essay Topic 3
How do the words and character actions in the last two paragraphs of this story embody the overall theme of survival of not just Jonathan and his family, but his neighbors?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)