|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jonathan put his money as soon as his hand closed around it?
2. What did Jonathan mix with his palm wine?
3. How many human heads are safe in Jonathan's family?
4. Before the way, how many Biafra pounds would it have taken to purchase a load of firewood?
5. What did a man do a couple of days earlier when his payment was stolen?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jonathan acquire building materials?
2. What has happened to Jonathan's town because of the civil war?
3. What is the general atmosphere after the war?
4. Who uses Jonathan's new service?
5. Why did Jonathan bribe the soldier at his door?
6. What happened to a man who got his payment a few days before Jonathan received his payment?
7. What could Jonathan's home and the destroyed concrete edifice symbolize about how the civil war impacted Nigeria and Biafra?
8. Would Jonathan be considered an entrepreneur? Why or why not?
9. How has the value of the Biafran pound changed from Paragraph 2 to Paragraph 3?
10. How does Jonathan behave after receiving his "egg-rasher?"
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan sees his ex-miner co-workers outside the closed Coal Corporation offices and feels he has yet another miracle. What is the miracle and why does he feel it is a miracle?
Essay Topic 2
How do the words and character actions in the last two paragraphs of this story embody the overall theme of survival of not just Jonathan and his family, but his neighbors?
Essay Topic 3
Achebe fictionalized what happened in civil war torn Nigeria after the late 1960s. He has posited that it is the African writer's duty to accurately tell the stories of his people. How is this belief reflected in Civil Peace?
This section contains 725 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)