|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What in no way compares to the safety of Jonathan's family?
2. What does Jonathan consider a bonus from the war?
3. What was peeping from the shoes of the person demanding Jonathan's bicycle?
4. What distance did Jonathan taxi?
5. How did Jonathan feel about having his bicycle again in such a condition?
Short Essay Questions
1. What could Jonathan's home and the destroyed concrete edifice symbolize about how the civil war impacted Nigeria and Biafra?
2. What is the general atmosphere after the war?
3. Describe the service Jonathan starts after digging up his bicycle, in Paragraph 3.
4. How does Jonathan make money with his new service in paragraph 3?
5. What does Jonathan realize after the soldier tries to commandeer his bicycle?
6. What has Jonathan survived and how does he feel about it?
7. How does Jonathan behave after receiving his "egg-rasher?"
8. In Paragraph 2, how did Maria get extra food for the family?
9. How does the Iwegbu family behavior show their ability to adapt and survive?
10. How has the value of the Biafran pound changed from Paragraph 2 to Paragraph 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is "egg-rasher?" What does it signify to those receiving it? to Jonathan? to the government issuing it?
Essay Topic 2
Who brings up the term "civil peace" in the story? What does this mean to that character? What does this mean to Jonathan? to the story?
Essay Topic 3
Achebe fictionalized what happened in civil war torn Nigeria after the late 1960s. He has posited that it is the African writer's duty to accurately tell the stories of his people. How is this belief reflected in Civil Peace?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)