|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the war, who requested Jonathan's bicycle for "urgent" action?
2. How many inestimable blessings does Jonathan come out of the war with?
3. The Iwegbu family house was missing all its doors and ____.
4. How many of Jonathan's children died before the war ended?
5. What did a man do a couple of days earlier when his payment was stolen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What doesJonathan find miraculous upon his return to Enugu?
2. What does the greeting "happy survival" signify?
3. Why did Jonathan bribe the soldier at his door?
4. How do the Iwegbu family make money after moving back home?
5. Why was Jonathan suspicious of the soldier that commanded use of his bicycle?
6. Who survives with Jonathan and what does he consider this to be?
7. Why is "egg-rasher" being issued?
8. What happened to a man who got his payment a few days before Jonathan received his payment?
9. What is the general atmosphere after the war?
10. Describe the service Jonathan starts after digging up his bicycle, in Paragraph 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the symbolism of the Iwegbu home in Enugu, the Coal Corporation office, and the bicycle.
Essay Topic 2
Achebe presents several themes in this story. How does the Iwegbu family embody each of these specific themes: survival, family cohesiveness, and resourcefulness?
Essay Topic 3
What is "egg-rasher?" What does it signify to those receiving it? to Jonathan? to the government issuing it?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)