|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Jonathan sell palm wine?
2. Where was the bicycle for a year?
3. How long is a fortnight?
4. How did Maria and the children feel when they moved back into the family house?
5. What did Jonathan accumulate a pile of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Jonathan suspicious of the soldier that commanded use of his bicycle?
2. How do the Iwegbu family make money after moving back home?
3. What is the general atmosphere after the war?
4. How did Jonathan almost lose his bicycle during the war and what did he do to keep it safe?
5. Why do the customers use Jonathan's service?
6. What is "egg-rasher?"
7. What happened to a man who got his payment a few days before Jonathan received his payment?
8. What does Jonathan do after acquiring building materials?
9. What does the greeting "happy survival" signify?
10. Describe the service Jonathan starts after digging up his bicycle, in Paragraph 3.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Jonathan's neighbors do not come to his aid against the thieves in the pre-dawn hours yet they are at his home at first light, watching. Why is Jonathan so accepting of his neighbors not coming to help against the thieves? What do his neighbors find him doing?
Essay Topic 2
Explain how this story deals with the presence of an unstable government and how this affects the people in the story.
Essay Topic 3
How do the words and character actions in the last two paragraphs of this story embody the overall theme of survival of not just Jonathan and his family, but his neighbors?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)