|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Jonathan switch his money from his right to his left hand after he left the crowd?
2. Where was the bicycle for a year?
3. Where did Jonathan wait in line?
4. Where did Jonathan travel to in Paragraph 4?
5. What is Jonathan's overall attitude or mood in the first paragraph of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general atmosphere after the war?
2. Why do the customers use Jonathan's service?
3. Describe the service Jonathan starts after digging up his bicycle, in Paragraph 3.
4. Why did Jonathan bribe the soldier at his door?
5. What does Jonathan realize after the soldier tries to commandeer his bicycle?
6. What happened to a man who got his payment a few days before Jonathan received his payment?
7. What doesJonathan find miraculous upon his return to Enugu?
8. How does Jonathan behave after receiving his "egg-rasher?"
9. What is "egg-rasher?"
10. What does the greeting "happy survival" signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Achebe fictionalized what happened in civil war torn Nigeria after the late 1960s. He has posited that it is the African writer's duty to accurately tell the stories of his people. How is this belief reflected in Civil Peace?
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan kept his money in the house in a strong box. How does this help the thief? How does this help Jonathan and his family? If the money had been in a bank, how would this have affected the story?
Essay Topic 3
How do the words and character actions in the last two paragraphs of this story embody the overall theme of survival of not just Jonathan and his family, but his neighbors?
This section contains 739 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)