|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did a man do a couple of days earlier when his payment was stolen?
2. What is the equivalent Nigerian currency amount for the Boafran pounds paid to the carpenter?
3. What character does the story lead with?
4. Why did Jonathan switch his money from his right to his left hand after he left the crowd?
5. Who had made a small fortune after a fortnight?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "egg-rasher?"
2. Where did the money that Jonathan used to bribe the soldier come from?
3. How does Jonathan behave after receiving his "egg-rasher?"
4. Besides his thankfulness of his present survival, how does Jonathan feel about the future for him and his family?
5. What significance is the Coal Corporation to Jonathan and others?
6. What has happened to Jonathan's town because of the civil war?
7. What does the greeting "happy survival" signify?
8. What happened to a man who got his payment a few days before Jonathan received his payment?
9. Why is "egg-rasher" being issued?
10. Who survives with Jonathan and what does he consider this to be?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What do faith, miracles, and God have to do with the development of Jonathan's character and the story?
Essay Topic 2
Jonathan kept his money in the house in a strong box. How does this help the thief? How does this help Jonathan and his family? If the money had been in a bank, how would this have affected the story?
Essay Topic 3
Based on the exchange of Biafran and Nigerian pounds in the story, discuss how the civil war affected both currencies and how this affected Jonathan and the other civil war survivors.
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)