|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What caused the value of the Biafra pound to plummet?
(a) Surrender of the Republic of Biafra.
(b) Assassination of the leader of the Republic of Biafra.
(c) It was not explained in the story.
(d) War was declared on the Republic of Biafra.
2. How did people feel about paying Jonathan the fare?
3. What did Jonathan do before he looked again at the "unbelievable?"
(a) Close his eyes.
(c) Rub his eyes.
4. How many children does Jonathan have after the war?
5. Why did Jonathan switch his money from his right to his left hand after he left the crowd?
(a) So he could shake hands if necessary.
(b) Someone tried to take it from his right hand.
(c) His left hand was tired.
(d) He is right handed.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the war, how many bicycles does Jonathan's family have?
2. What character does the story lead with?
3. How many children did Jonathan have before the war?
4. Where did Jonathan travel to in Paragraph 4?
5. Where did Jonathan put his money as soon as his hand closed around it?
Short Essay Questions
1. What has happened to Jonathan's town because of the civil war?
2. How does Jonathan make money with his new service in paragraph 3?
3. Who is at the door and what do they want?
4. What could Jonathan's home and the destroyed concrete edifice symbolize about how the civil war impacted Nigeria and Biafra?
5. Why is the family even more frightened after the thieves call for help?
6. What is significant about Jonathan's eldest being up and about at first light?
7. How does Jonathan behave after receiving his "egg-rasher?"
8. Why does Jonathan again feel so lucky after visiting the closed offices of his employer?
9. What has Jonathan survived and how does he feel about it?
10. Who comes to Jonathan's home at first light and what do they see?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)