|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many times did the thief knock before making a demand?
(a) Three times.
(d) Several times.
2. The thief tells Jonathan to _____ the smaller amount of money.
(a) Toss out.
(d) Slide out.
3. The thief finally tells Jonathan to bring the money "____!"
4. Who does Jonathan call as a witness that he does not have the money the thief leader demands?
(d) His children.
5. Who did this person call first to help in the alarm cry?
(a) The police.
(b) No one they just cried out.
(c) The neighbors.
(d) The soldiers.
6. What or who came immediately after the cry of alarm?
(a) A response from the police.
(c) A response from the neighbors.
(d) Total silence.
7. Jonathan opens a small ___ box with a key to get the money out.
8. Where was Jonathan sleeping when he was awakened?
(a) On his couch.
(b) In his bed.
(c) Pn the porch.
(d) On the floor.
9. After the thief leader's suggestion Jonathan thought he heard more ____.
(d) Windows rattling.
10. What does Jonathan tell the thief he can have if he can find it in the house?
(b) 100 pounds.
(c) 20 pounds.
11. After this demand what does the thief do?
(a) Knock heavier.
(b) Try to open the door.
(c) Try to open a window.
(d) Push at the door.
12. What sound rings through the sky after the money demand is made?
(a) Gun fire.
(d) Striking of the new hour by the watchman.
13. The thief insists he does not like to make "____."
14. How do the thief's men feel about the smaller amount of money?
15. After knocking the ___ o'clock hour the night watchman was silent.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many more voices did Jonathan think he heard outside his house after the thief's offer?
2. Now that the war is over, according to the thief leader, this is a time for ____ peace.
3. By the time Jonathan began this negotiation his voice had become ____.
4. What is boiling over the open fire?
5. What does the thief at the door tell the family he wants them to do?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)