|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau say ruined the earth?
2. What did Thoreau say most people were trying to do to nature?
3. What was Thoreau pleading for in his speech about John Brown?
4. What did Thoreau say all critics of Brown lacked?
5. What kind of man did Thoreau think Brown was?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thoreau say were the dangers of cultivation in 'Walking'?
2. What were John Browns intentions with his raid?
3. What did Thoreau say was the main difference between Brown and the man he compared Brown to?
4. What was Thoreau most critical of newspapers for in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
5. What did Thoreau say invalidated all the critics who spoke against Brown?
6. What did Thoreau not like about the media coverage of Brown and his attack?
7. What did Thoreau say Nature would do for a walker?
8. What did Thoreau say his walking was a metaphor of?
9. What did Thoreau say men should try to walk unencumbered by?
10. What did Thoreau say about American's gravitating toward the West?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the key examples of gratitude in this book, and how did these instances affect the essays that included these examples?
Essay Topic 2
What was the significance of the title of the first essay, and what role did it play in the meaning of the essay?
Essay Topic 3
What historical events prompted some of the essays from this book, and what were Thoreau's opinions about them?
This section contains 566 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)