|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Thoreau begin 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
2. In 'A Plea for Captain John Brown', who did Thoreau say the political parties were serving?
3. What was Brown's sentence when he was tried in court?
4. Where did Thoreau deliver his speech about Brown?
5. What did Thoreau say most people were trying to do to nature?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Thoreau free to go wherever he wanted on his daily walks?
2. What did Thoreau say was the main difference between Brown and the man he compared Brown to?
3. What were John Browns intentions with his raid?
4. How was Brown taken to court for his raid and what happened there?
5. How did Thoreau feel about the violence Brown used, and why?
6. How did Thoreau begin his speech about John Brown?
7. What did Thoreau say Nature would do for a walker?
8. Why did Thoreau say some people thought Brown was insane?
9. What was Thoreau pleading for in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
10. What did Thoreau say invalidated all the critics who spoke against Brown?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Thoreau's definition of a truly principled man, and how did Thoreau's life coincide with this given definition?
Essay Topic 2
How did Thoreau say men should go about choosing their professions, and what support did he give for these ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Irony was a strong theme in this book. What are some of the instances where irony was present, and how did these ironic events affect the characters involved in those sections?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)