|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau say confused most people about Brown?
2. What did Thoreau ask permission to do at the beginning of 'Walking'?
3. What does Thoreau think justifies violent force?
4. What did Brown seize in his attack?
5. What was Thoreau pleading for in his speech about John Brown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thoreau say about the natural state of the world?
2. What was Thoreau most critical of newspapers for in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
3. What were John Browns intentions with his raid?
4. Where did Thoreau say most men would walk if given the choice, and why?
5. What did Thoreau say invalidated all the critics who spoke against Brown?
6. How did Thoreau end 'Walking'?
7. What did Thoreau say about American's gravitating toward the West?
8. What animal did Thoreau compare himself to when walking, and why?
9. How did Thoreau feel about the violence Brown used, and why?
10. How did Thoreau show his ideal relationship between man and nature?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Thoreau mentioned the hypocrisy of the nation a number of times in these essays. What examples did he give of this hypocrisy, and what support did he give for his opinion in the matter?
Essay Topic 2
Thoreau performed many acts of service by giving his speeches and essays. What are some of the most significant examples of this service, and how did these events affect the people he was trying to help?
Essay Topic 3
What was Thoreau's definition of a truly principled man, and how did Thoreau's life coincide with this given definition?
This section contains 584 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)