|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau say we should let our thoughts do?
2. In what state did Brown's attack take place?
3. What did Massachusetts support that angered Thoreau in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
4. What did Thoreau say about most people's idea of improvement?
5. Why was Thoreau able to walk freely wherever he pleased?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thoreau say about American's gravitating toward the West?
2. What animal did Thoreau compare himself to when walking, and why?
3. What did Thoreau say were the dangers of cultivation in 'Walking'?
4. Why did Thoreau think Massachusetts was hypocritical?
5. What did Thoreau say was the main difference between Brown and the man he compared Brown to?
6. What did Thoreau say about society's idea of improvement?
7. How did Thoreau end 'Walking'?
8. What did Thoreau say about the natural state of the world?
9. What did Thoreau say invalidated all the critics who spoke against Brown?
10. Why did Thoreau say some people thought Brown was insane?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which essay did you relate with the most in this book? Why was this? How did this essay change your own ideas and opinions?
Essay Topic 2
How did Thoreau say men should go about choosing their professions, and what support did he give for these ideas?
Essay Topic 3
Printing and newspapers were a major theme and device in this book. Where did they appear, and how were they used to send Thoreau's messages in a unique way?
This section contains 612 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)