|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How did Thoreau feel about Brown's actions?
2. What did Thoreau say he was grateful to not have to worry about while walking?
3. What kind of man did Thoreau think Brown was?
4. What was illegal in Massachusetts?
5. Where did Thoreau deliver his speech about Brown?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Thoreau pleading for in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
2. How did Thoreau feel about the violence Brown used, and why?
3. What did Thoreau say invalidated all the critics who spoke against Brown?
4. How did Thoreau show his ideal relationship between man and nature?
5. What did Thoreau say about American's gravitating toward the West?
6. What animal did Thoreau compare himself to when walking, and why?
7. How was Brown taken to court for his raid and what happened there?
8. How did Thoreau end 'Walking'?
9. What did Thoreau say were the dangers of cultivation in 'Walking'?
10. What did Thoreau not like about the media coverage of Brown and his attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What were some of the most important analogies used by Thoreau in these essays, what did they mean, and how did they affect the tone of the essays?
Essay Topic 2
How did Thoreau suggest people display their disdain for bad government policies, and what happened when he followed his own advice in these situations?
Essay Topic 3
Thoreau performed many acts of service by giving his speeches and essays. What are some of the most significant examples of this service, and how did these events affect the people he was trying to help?
This section contains 609 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)