|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of issue did Thoreau say slavery was NOT?
2. What state was Thoreau from?
3. What kind of government does Thoreau describe in 'Civil Disobedience'?
4. What part of man does Thoreau say government has control over?
5. What does Thoreau compare soldiers to?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thoreau feel about the governor of Massachusetts, and why?
2. How did Thoreau say decisions in America should be made?
3. What did Thoreau say gave the government their power, and what did Thoreau suggest men should do in response to this?
4. What did Thoreau say was ironic about the day he presented his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
5. How did Thoreau begin 'Civil Disobedience'?
6. What did Thoreau say government got involved in, and what did he think was the result of this?
7. What did Thoreau say was the responsibility of a just man when it came to slavery?
8. Who did Thoreau say the government saw as their authority, and how did he feel about this?
9. What kind of issue did Thoreau say slavery was turning into, and how did he feel about this?
10. How did Thoreau feel about the Kansas-Nebraska Act?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Which essay did you relate with the most in this book? Why was this? How did this essay change your own ideas and opinions?
Essay Topic 2
Security and safety were two themes that were touched on a number of times throughout this book. What were some of these instances, and how did this affect the essays in which they were included?
Essay Topic 3
How did nature affect Thoreau, and how did Thoreau display his emphasis on the importance of nature in these essays?
This section contains 636 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)