|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Thoreau call the congressional act that was discussed at the meeting he was asked to speak at before giving his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
2. Where was Edward Loring from?
3. What did Thoreau say media devices should have been doing?
4. Where was Anthony Burns from?
5. Why was Thoreau put in jail?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thoreau begin 'Civil Disobedience'?
2. What did Thoreau credit for the difference he saw between the cities and the country areas in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
3. How did Thoreau end 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
4. How did Thoreau suggest men should withdraw their support of an unjust government?
5. What did Thoreau say was ironic about the day he presented his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
6. What did Thoreau say a man should do when his government was acting immorally?
7. How did Thoreau feel about the Kansas-Nebraska Act?
8. What did Thoreau say government got involved in, and what did he think was the result of this?
9. How did Thoreau say decisions in America should be made?
10. What did Thoreau say gave the government their power, and what did Thoreau suggest men should do in response to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Thoreau suggest people display their disdain for bad government policies, and what happened when he followed his own advice in these situations?
Essay Topic 2
Why was walking such an important part of Thoreau's daily schedule, and how did his description of his walking change the tone of his essays?
Essay Topic 3
Printing and newspapers were a major theme and device in this book. Where did they appear, and how were they used to send Thoreau's messages in a unique way?
This section contains 642 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)