|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the congressional act that was discussed at the meeting Thoreau was asked to speak at before giving his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts' about?
2. Who did Thoreau consider the real authority of Government, according to 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
3. Why was Thoreau so unimpressed with the governor of his state?
4. What were Abolitionists against?
5. What does Thoreau say the American form of government has no room for in 'Civil Disobedience'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thoreau end 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
2. What did Thoreau say was the responsibility of a just man when it came to slavery?
3. How did Thoreau feel about the attack that took place on the Boston Courthouse?
4. What did Thoreau say government got involved in, and what did he think was the result of this?
5. How did Thoreau begin 'Civil Disobedience'?
6. What did Thoreau say gave the government their power, and what did Thoreau suggest men should do in response to this?
7. What was the main difference Thoreau pointed out between the cities and the country areas in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
8. How did Thoreau feel about the governor of Massachusetts, and why?
9. How did Thoreau feel about the Kansas-Nebraska Act?
10. What kind of issue did Thoreau say slavery was turning into, and how did he feel about this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Slavery was a very central theme in a number of these essays. How did this theme affect the tone of the essays, and how did slavery affect Thoreau in his life?
Essay Topic 2
What was Thoreau's definition of a truly principled man, and how did Thoreau's life coincide with this given definition?
Essay Topic 3
Who was John Brown, and how did this man affect Thoreau's life?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)