|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau say most media devices were striving to do?
2. Why was Thoreau put in jail?
3. What did Thoreau describe as very clean in 'Civil Disobedience'?
4. What was attacked when Anthony Burns was in custody?
5. What city did Thoreau give 'Slavery in Massachusetts' on?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who did Thoreau blame for the slavery in America and why?
2. What was the main difference Thoreau pointed out between the cities and the country areas in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
3. What happened to Thoreau when he withdrew his support from the unjust government?
4. What kind of issue did Thoreau say slavery was turning into, and how did he feel about this?
5. How did Thoreau end 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
6. How did Thoreau suggest men should withdraw their support of an unjust government?
7. What did Thoreau say gave the government their power, and what did Thoreau suggest men should do in response to this?
8. What did Thoreau say government got involved in, and what did he think was the result of this?
9. How did Thoreau feel about the governor of Massachusetts, and why?
10. How did Thoreau say decisions in America should be made?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why was walking such an important part of Thoreau's daily schedule, and how did his description of his walking change the tone of his essays?
Essay Topic 2
What was the main message of 'Life Without Principle', and how did Thoreau go about presenting this message?
Essay Topic 3
What role does symbolism play in this book and where does it appear? How was the feeling of the essays altered by the presence of these symbols?
This section contains 661 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)