|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did Thoreau feel about Brown's actions?
(a) He was confused by them.
(b) He applauded them.
(c) He abhorred them.
(d) He was offended by them.
2. When did Thoreau deliver his speech about Brown?
(a) The day before the execution.
(b) While Brown was in prison.
(c) On Independance Day.
(d) On Voting Day.
3. What was Thoreau pleading for in his speech about John Brown?
(a) For newspapers to spread the truth.
(b) For him to get proper representation.
(c) For his execution to be called off.
(d) For people to follow his example.
4. Where did Thoreau say men should get their guidance and direction from?
(c) The ocean.
5. What did Thoreau say Brown was NOT?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of man did Thoreau think Brown was?
2. What day did Thoreau say he feared in 'Walking'?
3. What direction did Thoreau say most men tended to walk in when given the chance?
4. Why did Thoreau think most people had the wrong idea about Brown?
5. Where did Thoreau say people were not really inhabitants of?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thoreau say about society's idea of improvement?
2. Who did Thoreau compare Brown to in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown' and why?
3. What were John Browns intentions with his raid?
4. What did Thoreau say was the main difference between Brown and the man he compared Brown to?
5. What did Thoreau say his walking was a metaphor of?
6. What did Thoreau not like about the media coverage of Brown and his attack?
7. What did Thoreau say men should try to walk unencumbered by?
8. How was Brown taken to court for his raid and what happened there?
9. Why did Thoreau think Massachusetts was hypocritical?
10. What did Thoreau say about the natural state of the world?
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)