|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thoreau say Brown was NOT?
2. Where did Thoreau say people should consider themselves inhabitants of?
(c) Their bodies.
3. How long every day would Thoreau spend walking?
(a) A few hours.
(b) Half an hour.
(c) A few minutes.
(d) An hour.
4. What did Thoreau praise most about Brown?
(a) His ability to gather followers.
(b) His unwavering spirit.
(c) His willingness to risk his life.
(d) His boldness.
5. What did Thoreau say about most people's idea of improvement?
(a) It could never be accomplished.
(b) It was well-founded.
(c) It was counter-productive.
(d) It was destroying nature.
Short Answer Questions
1. In 'Walking', what did Thoreau say most men's minds naturally gravitated towards?
2. What animal did Thoreau say he was like when he went walking?
3. What did Thoreau say the walls we need to break down were hindering?
4. What image does Thoreau use to show the power of walking?
5. What did Brown seize in his attack?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did Thoreau say about society's idea of improvement?
2. What did Thoreau say his walking was a metaphor of?
3. What was Thoreau most critical of newspapers for in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
4. What did Thoreau say Nature would do for a walker?
5. What did Thoreau say were the dangers of cultivation in 'Walking'?
6. Why did Thoreau think Massachusetts was hypocritical?
7. What did Thoreau not like about the media coverage of Brown and his attack?
8. Why did Thoreau say some people thought Brown was insane?
9. How was Brown taken to court for his raid and what happened there?
10. What were John Browns intentions with his raid?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)