|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who did Thoreau compare Brown to?
(a) King Henry.
(b) Martin Luther.
2. Where did Thoreau deliver his speech about Brown?
(d) Washington D.C.
3. What kind of walls did Thoreau say men should break down?
(a) Retaining Walls.
(b) All Walls.
(c) Barrier Walls.
(d) Artificial Walls.
4. Why was Thoreau able to walk freely wherever he pleased?
(a) The laws did not prohibit trespassing at the time.
(b) He owned the woods.
(c) He knew and befriended all the land owners.
(d) The land was not privately owned.
5. Where did Thoreau say people were not really inhabitants of?
(c) Their bodies.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau like to walk through?
2. What did Thoreau say his walks always had?
3. What did Thoreau say people did wrong when writing the word nature?
4. Who did Thoreau like to have with him on his walks?
5. In 'A Plea for Captain John Brown', who did Thoreau say the newspapers were serving?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where did Thoreau say most men would walk if given the choice, and why?
2. What did Thoreau say men should try to walk unencumbered by?
3. Why did Thoreau say some people thought Brown was insane?
4. What did Thoreau say about the natural state of the world?
5. What did Thoreau say his walking was a metaphor of?
6. Why was Thoreau free to go wherever he wanted on his daily walks?
7. What were John Browns intentions with his raid?
8. How did Thoreau show his ideal relationship between man and nature?
9. How was Brown taken to court for his raid and what happened there?
10. What did Thoreau say Nature would do for a walker?
This section contains 576 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)