|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau say he is NOT in 'Civil Disobedience'?
(a) A democrat.
(b) A monarchist.
(c) A socialist.
(d) An anarchist.
2. What does Thoreau call the congressional act that was discussed at the meeting he was asked to speak at before giving his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
(a) The Nebraska Bill.
(b) The Compromise of Souls.
(c) The Freedom Reducer.
(d) The Slavery Maker.
3. What happened to Thoreau when he took his own advice given in 'Civil Disobedience'?
(a) He was written up.
(b) He was put in prison.
(c) He was not heard.
(d) He was fined.
4. How does Thoreau say a citizen should disobey?
(b) Speak out in public.
(c) Withdraw support.
(d) Move away.
5. How does Thoreau say soldiers are expected to perform their duties?
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of government does Thoreau describe in 'Civil Disobedience'?
2. When does Thoreau say a citizen should disobey?
3. How does Thoreau describe slavery in 'Civil Disobedience'?
4. What does Thoreau say is the greatest hindrance on society in 'Civil Disobedience'?
5. How did Thoreau say med should treat the government when acting immorally in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thoreau define innocence in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
2. What did Thoreau say was the responsibility of a just man when it came to slavery?
3. Who did Thoreau say the government saw as their authority, and how did he feel about this?
4. What kind of issue did Thoreau say slavery was turning into, and how did he feel about this?
5. How did Thoreau feel about the governor of Massachusetts, and why?
6. How did Thoreau feel about the Kansas-Nebraska Act?
7. What did Thoreau claim not to be in 'Civil Disobedience' and what was his support for this?
8. What was the main difference Thoreau pointed out between the cities and the country areas in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
9. What did Thoreau say government got involved in, and what did he think was the result of this?
10. What did Thoreau say about laws in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
This section contains 727 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)