|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in the U.S. was Thoreau most interested in the slavery debate?
2. What holiday did Thoreau give 'Slavery in Massachusetts' on?
(a) Valentine's Day.
(d) Independance Day.
3. What state was Thoreau from?
4. How did Thoreau describe the rulers of the country in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
5. What does Thoreau call the congressional act that was discussed at the meeting he was asked to speak at before giving his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
(a) The Freedom Reducer.
(b) The Slavery Maker.
(c) The Nebraska Bill.
(d) The Compromise of Souls.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau label the governor of his state?
2. What did Thoreau say media devices should have been doing?
3. What was Edward Loring's occupation?
4. How does Thoreau describe slavery in 'Civil Disobedience'?
5. Who does Thoreau say should provide what government needs for them to have authority?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did Thoreau suggest men should withdraw their support of an unjust government?
2. Who did Thoreau say the government saw as their authority, and how did he feel about this?
3. What did Thoreau say gave the government their power, and what did Thoreau suggest men should do in response to this?
4. How did Thoreau say American soldiers were viewed?
5. How did Thoreau describe his punishment for his own act of 'Civil Disobedience'?
6. How did Thoreau end 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
7. What did Thoreau claim not to be in 'Civil Disobedience' and what was his support for this?
8. What happened to Thoreau when he withdrew his support from the unjust government?
9. How did Thoreau feel about the governor of Massachusetts, and why?
10. What kind of issue did Thoreau say slavery was turning into, and how did he feel about this?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)