|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau think justifies violent force?
(a) A public forum.
(b) A just reason.
(c) A greater cause.
(d) A last resort.
2. What did Thoreau ask permission to do at the beginning of 'Walking'?
(a) Live his life.
(c) Persuade the reader.
(d) Be brief.
3. What did Thoreau compare what Nature revealed to man to?
4. Where did Thoreau say most men got their direction and guidance from?
(d) The ocean.
5. What kind of walls did Thoreau say men should break down?
(a) Retaining Walls.
(b) All Walls.
(c) Barrier Walls.
(d) Artificial Walls.
6. What did Thoreau say Massachusetts was supporting in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
7. How did Brown come to have a trial?
(a) He was wounded.
(b) He turned himself in.
(c) He was captured.
(d) He was betrayed.
8. How did Thoreau begin 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
(a) He quoted a poem.
(b) He read from the Constitution.
(c) He described John Brown.
(d) He read a newspaper clip.
9. What did Thoreau say his walks always had?
10. When did Thoreau deliver his speech about Brown?
(a) On Voting Day.
(b) On Independance Day.
(c) The day before the execution.
(d) While Brown was in prison.
11. In 'A Plea for Captain John Brown', who did Thoreau say the political parties were serving?
(a) The government.
(b) The people.
(d) The rich citizens.
12. What did Thoreau praise most about Brown?
(a) His unwavering spirit.
(b) His boldness.
(c) His willingness to risk his life.
(d) His ability to gather followers.
13. How many men followed Brown in his attack?
14. How did Thoreau describe his thesis in 'Walking'?
15. What did Thoreau say most people were trying to do to nature?
(a) Make it orderly.
(b) Make it un-natural.
(c) Make it beauitful.
(d) Make it obedient.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau say he never had on his walks?
2. How did Thoreau feel about Brown's actions?
3. Who did Thoreau like to have with him on his walks?
4. Where did Thoreau say men should get their guidance and direction from?
5. What did Thoreau think should be made illegal in Massachusetts?
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)