|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thoreau say he was grateful to not have to worry about while walking?
(b) Entertaining others.
(d) Being alone.
2. In what state did Brown's attack take place?
3. What attribute did Thoreau say never came out on one of his walks?
4. What did Thoreau say all critics of Brown lacked?
5. What was Brown trying to build with his attack?
(a) A fortress.
(b) An army.
(c) A political party.
(d) A message.
6. What was the name of the town where Brown's attack took place?
(a) Hannigan's Bay.
(b) Harlem's Crossing.
(c) Harrington Bridge.
(d) Harper's Ferry.
7. Where did Thoreau say people were not really inhabitants of?
(a) Their bodies.
8. What did Thoreau think should be made illegal in Massachusetts?
(a) Objecting the popular opinion.
(b) Printing without permission.
(c) Returning slaves to their rightful owners.
9. What did Thoreau say his walks always had?
10. Where did Thoreau say men should get their guidance and direction from?
(c) The ocean.
11. Where did Thoreau deliver his speech about Brown?
(b) Washington D.C.
12. What was Brown hoping to free with his attack?
(a) The people.
(c) Religious activists.
13. What did Thoreau say he always did while walking while comparing himself to an animal?
14. What did Thoreau praise most about Brown?
(a) His unwavering spirit.
(b) His ability to gather followers.
(c) His boldness.
(d) His willingness to risk his life.
15. What did Thoreau say was the natural state of the Earth?
Short Answer Questions
1. What direction did Thoreau prefer to walk in?
2. What did Thoreau say Massachusetts was supporting in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
3. How did Brown come to have a trial?
4. What kind of U.S. territories was Brown most interested in serving in?
5. How did Thoreau feel about Brown's actions?
This section contains 350 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)