|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thoreau say ruined man's thoughts?
(a) Social standards.
(b) Cultivation of the mind.
(d) Lack of conversation.
2. What about Brown did Thoreau think was misunderstood at the time?
(a) His methods.
(b) His intentions.
(c) His reasonings.
(d) His leadership.
3. Where did Thoreau say he wanted to be a citizen of?
4. What did Thoreau say we should let our thoughts do?
(b) Take hold.
5. What did Thoreau say about most people's idea of improvement?
(a) It could never be accomplished.
(b) It was counter-productive.
(c) It was destroying nature.
(d) It was well-founded.
6. What did Thoreau compare what Nature revealed to man to?
7. What kind of U.S. territories was Brown most interested in serving in?
(a) Original colonies.
(b) Slave states.
(c) Free states.
(d) New territories.
8. What did Massachusetts support that angered Thoreau in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
(a) The Free Trade Compromise.
(b) The Nebraska-Kansas Act.
(c) John Brown.
(d) The Federal Government.
9. What did Brown seize in his attack?
(a) The Confederate Army.
(b) The capitol.
(c) The arsenal.
(d) The flotilla.
10. What did Thoreau say Nature would reveal to man?
11. What did Thoreau think should be made illegal in Massachusetts?
(b) Objecting the popular opinion.
(c) Returning slaves to their rightful owners.
(d) Printing without permission.
12. How many men followed Brown in his attack?
13. In 'Walking', what did Thoreau say most men's minds naturally gravitated towards?
14. In 'A Plea for Captain John Brown', who did Thoreau say the newspapers were serving?
(b) The rich citizens.
(c) The people.
(d) The government.
15. What did Thoreau say all critics of Brown lacked?
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Brown's sentence when he was tried in court?
2. What does Thoreau think justifies violent force?
3. What did Thoreau say ruined the earth?
4. Why did Thoreau think most people had the wrong idea about Brown?
5. Where did Thoreau say people were not really inhabitants of?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)