|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau say the best government will NOT do in 'Civil Disobedience'?
2. What did Thoreau say made men innocent in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
(a) Doing what is right.
(b) Following the law.
(c) Being educated.
(d) Appeasing the officials.
3. Why was Thoreau put in jail?
(a) He was drunk in public.
(b) He refused to pay a tax.
(c) He said something rude to a police officer.
(d) He freed a slave.
4. What happened to Thoreau when he took his own advice given in 'Civil Disobedience'?
(a) He was fined.
(b) He was put in prison.
(c) He was written up.
(d) He was not heard.
5. What kind of issue did Thoreau say slavery was NOT?
6. What city did Thoreau give 'Slavery in Massachusetts' on?
7. What congressional act was discussed at the meeting Thoreau was asked to speak at before giving his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
(a) The Monroe Compromise.
(b) The Kansas-Nebraska Act.
(c) The Louisiana Purchase.
(d) The Mason Dixon Agreement.
8. What attribute does Thoreau say just men will have?
(c) All of these.
9. How does Thoreau begin 'Civil Disobedience'?
(a) He reads a poem.
(b) He relates an experience.
(c) He gives a motto.
(d) He cites a scripture.
10. What kind of meeting was Thoreau asked to speak at before giving his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
(a) A Civil War discussion.
(b) An anti-slavery meeting.
(c) A presidential debate.
(d) A Union meeting.
11. How does Thoreau say soldiers are expected to perform their duties?
12. How did Thoreau say med should treat the government when acting immorally in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
(a) With compassion.
(b) With obedience.
(c) With logic.
(d) With contempt.
13. What does Thoreau hope to inspire men to do after 'Civil Disobedience'?
(a) Vote for emancipation.
(c) Not pay their taxes.
(d) Stand for what they believe.
14. What does Thoreau say should be used to make important decisions in 'Civil Disobedience'?
15. What was Anthony Burns's occupation?
Short Answer Questions
1. What attribute does Thoreau say all men should have naturally in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
2. How does Thoreau describe slavery in 'Civil Disobedience'?
3. What does Thoreau say is the greatest hindrance on society in 'Civil Disobedience'?
4. What does Thoreau compare soldiers to?
5. What did Thoreau warn the people against in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
This section contains 402 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)