|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where in the U.S. was Thoreau most interested in the slavery debate?
2. How does Thoreau describe the attack made to free Burns?
3. Why was Thoreau put in jail?
(a) He freed a slave.
(b) He refused to pay a tax.
(c) He was drunk in public.
(d) He said something rude to a police officer.
4. What part of man does Thoreau say government can NEVER manipulate?
(a) The emotional part.
(b) The moral part.
(c) The intelligent part.
(d) The physical part.
5. Where was Edward Loring from?
(c) Washington D.C.
6. How did Thoreau describe the rulers of the country in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
7. What kind of issue did Thoreau say slavery was?
(b) All of these.
8. Where did Thoreau say he saw a greater disregard for slavery in the country?
(a) The North.
(b) The cities.
(c) The South.
(d) The country.
9. What did Thoreau warn the people against in 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
(a) Not caring about other people.
(b) Being robbed of freedom.
(c) Not thinking for themselves.
(d) All of these.
10. How does Thoreau say soldiers are expected to perform their duties?
11. What does Thoreau say should be used to make important decisions in 'Civil Disobedience'?
12. What does Thoreau say the American form of government has no room for in 'Civil Disobedience'?
13. What did Thoreau say reflected the general feeling in the country about slavery?
(a) Religious gatherings.
(b) Social gatherings.
14. What did Thoreau say law would never do for man?
(a) Keep men safe.
(b) Govern him.
(c) Set him free.
(d) Repress bad men.
15. What did Thoreau say the issue of slavery was doing to his state?
(a) Capitulating it.
(b) Immoralizing it.
(c) Desensitizing it.
(d) Polarizing it.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to Thoreau when he took his own advice given in 'Civil Disobedience'?
2. What does Thoreau say is the greatest hindrance on society in 'Civil Disobedience'?
3. When does Thoreau say a citizen should disobey?
4. What holiday did Thoreau give 'Slavery in Massachusetts' on?
5. What was Edward Loring's occupation?
This section contains 390 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)