|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Walking.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Brown's sentence when he was tried in court?
(a) Life in prison.
(d) A heavy fine.
2. What did Thoreau think should be made illegal in Massachusetts?
(a) Objecting the popular opinion.
(b) Printing without permission.
(d) Returning slaves to their rightful owners.
3. What did Thoreau say he never had on his walks?
(a) A purpose.
(b) A destination.
(c) A notebook.
(d) A companion.
4. What did Thoreau label the governor of his state?
(a) Slow to action.
(d) All of these.
5. What is the main theme of 'Civil Disobedience'?
(a) The role of politics.
(b) Moral responsibility.
(c) Appropriate places to disobey.
(d) Religion in politics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What part of man does Thoreau say government can NEVER manipulate?
2. How does Thoreau say soldiers are expected to perform their duties?
3. What did Thoreau say Massachusetts was supporting in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
4. What does Thoreau think justifies violent force?
5. What did Thoreau say ruined the earth?
This section contains 188 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)