|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Plea for Captain John Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thoreau say the government considered its only authority according to 'Slavery in Massachusetts'?
(a) The President.
(b) The voters.
(d) The Constitution.
2. Why was Thoreau so unimpressed with the governor of his state?
(a) He did not enforce slave laws.
(b) He gave in to money lenders.
(c) He was soft about his voting.
(d) He had never given a strong speech.
3. What does Thoreau say the best government will NOT do in 'Civil Disobedience'?
4. What does Thoreau say is not always found in the majority?
5. In 'A Plea for Captain John Brown', who did Thoreau say the newspapers were serving?
(a) The rich citizens.
(b) The people.
(c) The government.
Short Answer Questions
1. What city did Thoreau give 'Slavery in Massachusetts' on?
2. What did Massachusetts support that angered Thoreau in 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
3. How does Thoreau say a citizen should disobey?
4. What part of man does Thoreau say government can NEVER manipulate?
5. What was attacked when Anthony Burns was in custody?
This section contains 211 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)