|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Plea for Captain John Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How did the attackers trying to free Burns plead in their trial?
2. Why was Thoreau so unimpressed with the governor of his state?
(a) He was soft about his voting.
(b) He did not enforce slave laws.
(c) He gave in to money lenders.
(d) He had never given a strong speech.
3. What did Thoreau say media devices should have been doing?
(a) Making money.
(b) Appeasing the masses.
(c) Gaining approval.
(d) Reflecting the truth.
4. Why did Thoreau say most men would never do what Brown did?
(a) They do not have the conviction.
(b) They have too little to gain.
(c) They do not have the courage.
(d) They have too much to lose.
5. What does Thoreau say happens when government gets involved in politics?
(a) It allows for growth.
(b) It gets in the way.
(c) It changes the perspective.
(d) It simplifies things.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was illegal in Massachusetts?
2. Where was Anthony Burns from?
3. Who teased Thoreau when he took the advice he gives in 'Civil Disobedience'?
4. When does Thoreau say a citizen should disobey?
5. Who did Thoreau say the newspapers of the time were NOT serving?
This section contains 235 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)