|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Life Without Principle.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Thoreau say the emphasis on money should be to man?
(a) A huge motivation.
(b) A minor influence.
(c) An irritation.
(d) A strategy.
2. What did Thoreau say man would do best if he chose his work appropriately?
(a) Glorify his God.
(b) Enrich his life.
(c) Support his family.
(d) Sustain himself.
3. What day did Thoreau say he feared in 'Walking'?
(a) When there would be no wild places in which to walk.
(b) When society discovered the joy of nature.
(c) When nature would be over-crowded.
(d) When the public wild lands were all bought up.
4. What was Brown's sentence when he was tried in court?
(b) A heavy fine.
(c) Life in prison.
5. What was illegal in Massachusetts?
(a) Returning slaves to their rightful owners.
(c) Objecting the popular opinion.
(d) Printing without permission.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why was Thoreau so unimpressed with the governor of his state?
2. What did Thoreau say society always was in 'Life Without Principle'?
3. How did Thoreau begin 'A Plea for Captain John Brown'?
4. What was the congressional act that was discussed at the meeting Thoreau was asked to speak at before giving his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts' about?
5. Where was Edward Loring from?
This section contains 247 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)