|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through A Plea for Captain John Brown.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Thoreau say soldiers are expected to do?
(c) Defeat opposition.
(d) Carry out the will of government.
2. What was Thoreau pleading for in his speech about John Brown?
(a) For his execution to be called off.
(b) For newspapers to spread the truth.
(c) For people to follow his example.
(d) For him to get proper representation.
3. What is the main theme of 'Civil Disobedience'?
(a) Appropriate places to disobey.
(b) Religion in politics.
(c) The role of politics.
(d) Moral responsibility.
4. What was Brown trying to fight with his attack?
5. How does Thoreau describe slavery in 'Civil Disobedience'?
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Thoreau say all critics of Brown lacked?
2. Why does Thoreau blame the citizens of his state for slavery?
3. What was the congressional act that was discussed at the meeting Thoreau was asked to speak at before giving his speech, 'Slavery in Massachusetts' about?
4. What was Edward Loring's occupation?
5. What word did Thoreau use to describe the citizens of Massachusetts?
This section contains 199 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)