|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the compass useless in the jungle?
2. What resource do the Indians believe will contaminate their societies?
3. What is a papagayo?
4. What do the Indians believe is the cause of individualism?
5. Why was Alex disappointed after his rescue of Mokarita?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do the efforts of the expedition to lure the Indians with gifts and trinkets fail?
2. Why are Alex and Nadia not frightened by their encounter with the People of the Mist?
3. Why do the People of the Mist keep boa constrictors as pets?
4. What causes the kidnappers to become angry with Nadia and how is the problem resolved?
5. How does Omayra Torres plan to persuade the Indians to accept vaccinations?
6. What response do Nadia and Alex get when they warn adults about the conspiracy to eradicate the Amazon Indians?
7. What does Alex do to demonstrate his courage to the kidnappers, and what is the effect of his demonstration?
8. What does Nadia learn when she is the first to glimpse the Beast?
9. What defeats most adventurers who go into the Amazon seeking riches?
10. What unexpected injury does Alex sustain while waiting to be rescued and how does it affect him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Alex's discovery of the legendary city of gold, El Dorado. How did it turn out to be as expected? How different?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the understanding of death among the Amazon natives. Use examples such as the presence of Walimai's wife, and the rite of unokaimu.
Essay Topic 3
Compare Alex's idea of what it means to be civilized, as he explains it in Chapter Four, with the ideas of Kate or Padre Valdomero, using quotations from the text. Which point of view is closer to your own?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)