|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What unusual experience does Alex have with the black jaguar?
2. How does Nadia describe the Beast?
3. How does Nadia summon Walimai?
4. Why does Mauro Carias keep a black jaguar imprisoned?
5. What does Alex say must be conquered before conquering a mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are watches and compasses of little use in the Amazon jungle?
2. What causes the kidnappers to become angry with Nadia and how is the problem resolved?
3. Why do the People of the Mist keep boa constrictors as pets?
4. Why are Alex and Nadia not frightened by their encounter with the People of the Mist?
5. What does Nadia learn when she is the first to glimpse the Beast?
6. What defeats most adventurers who go into the Amazon seeking riches?
7. What internal conflict does Alex experience when the kidnappers offer him masato to drink?
8. What device do the People of the Mist use that enables them to climb trees easily?
9. Why is Nadia convinced that Karakawe is Mauro Carias' co-conspirator?
10. What do the People of the Mist look like?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Nadia mean when she advises Alex that he must learn to "see with his heart?" Does he understand her advice? Does he accomplish it?
Essay Topic 2
Which group do you think is more likely to ultimately cause harm to the People of the Mist, the Beasts, and the other Amazon Indians? Do the scientists or the entrepreneurs represent a greater danger?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the opinions of the Amazon Indians toward the Nahab-- foreigners. What events have caused the People of the Mist and other Amazon Indians to hold those opinions?
This section contains 823 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)