|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why were Nadia and Alex not kept under guard by the Indians?
2. What do the Indians believe is the cause of individualism?
3. What do Alex and Nadia do for the first time in public when they enter the Indian village?
4. What is unokaimu?
5. How does gossip claim Mauro Carias gathered gold flakes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What device do the People of the Mist use that enables them to climb trees easily?
2. How does Alex help Chief Mokarita?
3. What response do Nadia and Alex get when they warn adults about the conspiracy to eradicate the Amazon Indians?
4. Why are the travelers unable to move after their boat disappears?
5. Why are Alex and Nadia not frightened by their encounter with the People of the Mist?
6. How does Omayra Torres plan to persuade the Indians to accept vaccinations?
7. What internal conflict does Alex experience when the kidnappers offer him masato to drink?
8. What causes the kidnappers to become angry with Nadia and how is the problem resolved?
9. Who are the People of the Mist?
10. Why is Nadia convinced that Karakawe is Mauro Carias' co-conspirator?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How has Alex changed by the end of the story? What brought about the changes?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Alex's discovery of the legendary city of gold, El Dorado. How did it turn out to be as expected? How different?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the opinions of the Amazon Indians toward the Nahab-- foreigners. What events have caused the People of the Mist and other Amazon Indians to hold those opinions?
This section contains 810 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)