|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the invisible activities in Santa Maria de la Lluvia?
2. Which of Kate's habits are bad for her health?
3. How does Kate teach Alex not to smoke?
4. What resource was taken most frequently from the rainforest during the 19th century?
5. Why does Alex enjoy mountain climbing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Kate believe that the Indians of the Amazon are indeed civilized?
2. How have those who have seen the Beast been traumatized by the experience?
3. What is Kate trying to teach Alex by leaving him to make his way from the airport to her apartment?
4. How does Kate show love for Alex in spite of her apparent disregard for his well-being?
5. What kinds of problems does Kate believe there are?
6. Why is Alex's dog, Poncho, unusual?
7. Why are others unable to see Walimai's traveling companion?
8. What does Morgana take from Alex, and what does she give him?
9. Why is Cecilia Burns an important character although we never see her?
10. What theory does Kate accept about the origin of the Amazon Indians?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the understanding of death among the Amazon natives. Use examples such as the presence of Walimai's wife, and the rite of unokaimu.
Essay Topic 2
Which group do you think is more likely to ultimately cause harm to the People of the Mist, the Beasts, and the other Amazon Indians? Do the scientists or the entrepreneurs represent a greater danger?
Essay Topic 3
How has Alex changed by the end of the story? What brought about the changes?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)