|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the natives who live along the Amazon called?
2. How does Kate help Alex prepare for their expedition to the Amazon?
3. Padre Valdomero knew his encounter with the beast was real, because ______________________ lingered.
4. Why does Alex enjoy mountain climbing?
5. What has Professor LeBlanc spent the last several years pursuing?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cesar Santos say that the Amazon Indians rejected Christianity?
2. Why does Kate employ harsh teaching methods with Alex?
3. Why was Padre Valdomero's village burned to the ground?
4. What does Padre Valdomero's experience with the Beast reveal about the creature?
5. What do the different members of the expedition regard as the most important resources in the Amazon basin?
6. What is Kate trying to teach Alex by leaving him to make his way from the airport to her apartment?
7. What kinds of problems does Kate believe there are?
8. Why is Alex upset by seeing his father shave his mother, Lisa's, head?
9. What kind of father is John Cold?
10. How does Alex's experience in New York prepare him for his trip to the Amazon?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss fear as a theme in this story. Explain the advice on overcoming fear Alex receives from Kate and from Nadia, and the advice he remembers from his father and offers to Nadia when she faces her own fear. Which characters are governed by fears? Which are not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how the People of the Mist dealt with the death of a loved one, and the ways in which these rituals differ from those of Western civilization.
Essay Topic 3
What does Nadia mean when she advises Alex that he must learn to "see with his heart?" Does he understand her advice? Does he accomplish it?
This section contains 864 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)