|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the expedition searching for?
2. What bothers the travelers most while in the boat?
3. What opportunity does Kate advise Alex to never miss?
4. What does Alex believe are his own best qualities?
5. What does Morgana teach Alex by stealing his possessions?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the different members of the expedition regard as the most important resources in the Amazon basin?
2. Why is Alex's dog, Poncho, unusual?
3. Why does Ludovic Leblanc's attitude toward women offend Kate and Omayra Torres?
4. How did Nadia become multilingual?
5. What is Kate trying to teach Alex by leaving him to make his way from the airport to her apartment?
6. What kind of father is John Cold?
7. Why was Padre Valdomero's village burned to the ground?
8. How have those who have seen the Beast been traumatized by the experience?
9. Why is Mauro Carias anxious to capture the Beast?
10. Why does the book Alex reads convince him that the Amazon Indians are not civilized?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the character of Ludovic Leblanc in the beginning and at the end of the story. Tell whether you think he actually changed and if so, what brought about the changes.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss how Alex gains power during his initiation ceremony. What does he take from his father, his mother, and the jaguar? How is he different when the ceremony is concluded?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the opinions of the Amazon Indians toward the Nahab-- foreigners. What events have caused the People of the Mist and other Amazon Indians to hold those opinions?
This section contains 808 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)