|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What causes tension among the men on the expedition?
(a) Competition for publicity.
(b) Disrespect for one another.
(c) Omayra Torres' beauty.
(d) Competition for scientific data.
2. How does gossip claim Mauro Carias gathered gold flakes?
(a) By a giant magnet.
(b) By sending chickens to eat it.
(c) By consulting a native shaman.
(d) By using a divining rod.
3. What killed the men who worked for Mauro Carias?
(a) Yellow fever and snakebites.
(b) Malaria and yellow fever.
(c) Snakebites and malaria.
(d) Gunshot wounds and malaria.
4. Why does Alex say that fear is good?
(a) It keeps us alert.
(b) It warns us of danger.
(c) It helps us build strength.
(d) It unites us in common humanity.
5. How does Nadia summon Walimai?
(a) By blowing into the amulet he gave her.
(b) By screaming in fear.
(c) By telelpathic communication.
(d) By sending a message tied to a bird.
Short Answer Questions
1. What women are in Mauro Carias' compound?
2. What visual illusion does Alex see that he had seen earlier in a dream?
3. Why is the compass useless in the jungle?
4. What do the Indians believe is the cause of individualism?
5. What does Karakawe claim to be looking for when he is caught going through Omayra Torres' luggage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What device do the People of the Mist use that enables them to climb trees easily?
2. What internal conflict does Alex experience when the kidnappers offer him masato to drink?
3. Why are the travelers unable to move after their boat disappears?
4. Why are watches and compasses of little use in the Amazon jungle?
5. Why do the People of the Mist keep boa constrictors as pets?
6. How does Ludovic Leblanc estimate the size of the Indian villages?
7. Why is Nadia convinced that Karakawe is Mauro Carias' co-conspirator?
8. What does Nadia learn when she is the first to glimpse the Beast?
9. How does Omayra Torres plan to persuade the Indians to accept vaccinations?
10. Who are the People of the Mist?
This section contains 847 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)