|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What resource was taken most frequently from the rainforest during the 19th century?
(a) Exotic birds.
2. Why do the Mormon missionaries turn back from the river trip?
(a) They are both sick.
(b) They have been rejected by the natives.
(c) They are both exhausted.
(d) They are both frightened.
3. What did the Amazon natives do with their captives in the past, according to Professor Leblanc?
(a) They kept them as slaves.
(b) They made them rulers.
(c) They killed them.
(d) They ate them.
4. What is Ludovic Leblanc's profession?
5. What does Alex believe are his own worst qualities?
(a) Short attention span and unkindness.
(b) Selfishness and arrogance.
(c) Impatience and dependence.
(d) Skepticism and a bad temper.
6. Why was Alex told not to say "Walimai"?
(a) It is taboo to speak another's true name.
(b) Alex mispronounced the name.
(c) Alex misunderstood the name.
(d) It is rude to speak another's true name.
7. Who does Walimai travel with?
(a) His wife who is dead.
(b) His spirit guide.
(c) His macaw which talks.
(d) His jaguar which guards him.
8. Which of Kate's habits are bad for her health?
(a) Drinking vodka and refusing to exercise.
(b) Smoking a pipe and forgetting to eat.
(c) Refusing to exercise and forgetting to eat.
(d) Drinking vodka and smoking a pipe.
9. What practical joke does Alex recall Kate playing on him?
(a) She gave him an exploding candy bar.
(b) She gave him a leaky glass.
(c) She gave him a collapsing chair.
(d) She gave him chocolates filled with hot sauce.
10. What does Alex believe are his own best qualities?
(a) Kindness and generosity.
(b) Patience and humility.
(c) Courage and clear thinking.
(d) Wisdom and logical thinking.
11. What did a python do to end up as a trophy on Kate's wall?
(a) It ate her Pekinese.
(b) It frightened her.
(c) It ate her camera.
(d) It scared away her guide.
12. According to Padre Valdomero, a captured Indian is a _____________Indian.
13. What is Kate's response to Alex's idea that the natives are primitive because they haven't invented the wheel?
(a) They are indeed primitive, but kindly.
(b) They have much more sophisticated tools.
(c) There are many kinds of intelligence.
(d) They have no need for wheels in their environment.
14. How does one judge the size of a reptile?
(a) By the distance between the eyes.
(b) By the size of its fangs.
(c) By the number of scales.
(d) By the number of coils.
15. What opportunity does Kate advise Alex to never miss?
(a) An opportunity to offer his opinion.
(b) An opportunity to keep his mouth shut.
(c) An opportunity to learn.
(d) An opportunity to express himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. For what is the Rio Negro named?
2. Padre Valdomero believes the Amazon natives are advanced on a _________________plane.
3. What is Professor LeBlanc's opinion about humanoid beasts?
4. Who is the photographer for the expedition?
5. Why is Mauro Carias anxious to capture the beast?
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)