Chapters 1 through 3
• Alex says that his family is coming apart because his mother is sick.
• Alex sees his father shaving his mother's head.
• Alex vents his anger by destroying the contents of his room, injuring his hand.
• Alex's sisters go to live with their mother's mother.
• Alex goes to live with his father's mother, Kate, in New York.
• Kate does not come to pick him up at the airport.
• A girl named Morgana offers Alex marijuana, then steals his backpack.
• Alex remembers that Kate turned him against smoking by making him smoke cigars.
• Alex eventually makes his way through New York City to his grandmother's apartment on his own.
• Kate warns Alex that she will not pamper him in the jungle.
• Kate smokes a pipe, drinks vodka, and lives an adventurous life.
• Kate gives Alex his grandfather's flute and a book about health tips for adventurers.
• Kate tells...
This section contains 1,310 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)