|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Quinn surprised by Stillman while at the train station?
2. Why does Peter not like to go outside?
3. What is Virginia wearing the first time she and Quinn meet?
4. At what time does the mystery caller call Quinn at the end of Chapter 1?
5. Does the elder Stillman ever realize he is being followed home from the train station?
Short Essay Questions
1. For what reason or reasons does Quinn go to the library at the beginning of Chapter 6?
2. What is significant about the images Quinn draws in his notebook in Chapter 8?
3. What happens when Quinn calls Virginia and her number rings busy?
4. What are some of the activities Quinn enjoys during his time living on the streets?
5. What does Stillman's notebook look like?
6. Why does Virginia kiss Quinn at the end of Chapter 3?
7. For what reasons does Quinn enjoy the mystery genre?
8. Why does Peter wish to be "real" and not a puppet boy?
9. How is Quinn able to feed himself during the time he lives as a bum?
10. List three reasons that Quinn frequently eats at Heights Luncheonette.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Sanity is a valuable asset to the characters in City of Glass. As the story progresses, Quinn begins to lose grip on reality. At first the process is slow, but it quickens toward the end of the story. Write an essay that explains what happens to Quinn's mind as events unfold in City of Glass. At what point does he begin to slip away? When in the story does it worsen?
Essay Topic 2
Quinn only has one true friend represented in City of Glass, the counterman at Heights Luncheonette. He has been coming to Heights for years, and still does not know the name of the counterman. The two men talk about baseball every time they see each other. Write an essay that explores Quinn's friendship with the counterman. How does Quinn act differently while in the presence of his friend? What aspects of his personality change? Why has Quinn never bothered to find out the name of the counterman?
Essay Topic 3
At first Stillman appears to be nothing more than a bumbling old man. Yet when Quinn figures out the truth behind Stillman's daily routines, things begin to change. Write an essay that explains how Quinn's perception of Stillman changes over time. What specifically makes Quinn believe that Stillman is an evil genius? Why does he begin to fear him? Are his fears justified?
This section contains 923 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)