|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What year did Henry Dark emigrate to America?
2. How does Quinn describe the way Peter moves when they first meet?
3. Where does Quinn live?
4. What happened to Peter's mother?
5. Which library does Quinn visit at the beginning of chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was Henry Dark's version of paradise?
2. For what reasons does Quinn enjoy the mystery genre?
3. What is Quinn's reaction to losing track of Stillman at the end of Chapter 10?
4. Why does Quinn pretend to be Henry Dark when he meets Stillman the second time?
5. How does Quinn react the first time he is called by Peter Stillman?
6. What is the elder Stillman's reaction to Quinn when they first meet face to face?
7. How is Quinn able to feed himself during the time he lives as a bum?
8. Why is Quinn well informed on the topic of wild children and isolation?
9. Why is the year 1960 important in City of Glass?
10. Why does Quinn withdraw most of the money from his bank account?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Money and wealth mean surprisingly little to Quinn and the characters of City of Glass. Quinn lives on very little, while the Stillmans live comfortably in excess. Write an essay that explores these two different views within the context of the story. Why is Quinn comfortable with living on a limited budget? How are the Stillmans able to live in excess? Why does Quinn ask for money to work on the Stillman case when he has no intention of spending it?
Essay Topic 2
At first Stillman appears to be nothing more than a bumbling old man. Yet when Quinn figures out the truth behind Stillman's daily routines, things begin to change. Write an essay that explains how Quinn's perception of Stillman changes over time. What specifically makes Quinn believe that Stillman is an evil genius? Why does he begin to fear him? Are his fears justified?
Essay Topic 3
Another recurring theme in City of Glass is that of multiple identities. Quinn has three identities other than his own: Max Work, William Wilson, and Paul Auster. Write an essay that explores the idea of multiple identities within the context of the plot. In what way is Quinn able to use these different identities to his advantage? When is he able to use them? Are other characters aware of these identities?
This section contains 834 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)