|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Does the elder Stillman ever realize he is being followed home from the train station?
2. What object does Stillman carry off the train with him?
3. How does Quinn describe the way Peter moves when they first meet?
4. Which emotion does Quinn most strongly experience when he first sees Stillman's train?
5. What time of day does Virginia ask Quinn to report back to her with his observations?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of Paul Auster's features?
2. Why does Peter wish to be "real" and not a puppet boy?
3. Why does Quinn publish his books under the name William Wilson?
4. What are some aspects of Quinn's personality?
5. How did Virginia and Peter Stillman first meet?
6. For what reason or reasons does Quinn go to the library at the beginning of Chapter 6?
7. What happens when Quinn returns to his apartment in Chapter 12?
8. What happened to Peter Stillman when he was a child?
9. How does Quinn react the first time he is called by Peter Stillman?
10. Why does the perspective change to first person at the end of City of Glass?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The red notebook is an important item in City of Glass. It is Quinn's lifeline to the Stillman case. It is also the source of the story. Write an essay that explains why the red notebook is so important to the plot of the story. Why did Quinn choose this particular notebook over the others at Heights Luncheonette? Does he ever realize how important the notebook is and will be while he is writing in it? Where would the story be without the red notebook?
Essay Topic 2
The Tower of Babel is a symbol that reoccurs many times in City of Glass. The first time it is mentioned is in Stillman's book. Write an essay that explains why the Tower of Babel is significant within the context of the story. How do the Stillman experiments with his son and the Tower of Babel relate? What is the relation between god's language and the Tower of Babel?
Essay Topic 3
Quinn only has one true friend represented in City of Glass, the counterman at Heights Luncheonette. He has been coming to Heights for years, and still does not know the name of the counterman. The two men talk about baseball every time they see each other. Write an essay that explores Quinn's friendship with the counterman. How does Quinn act differently while in the presence of his friend? What aspects of his personality change? Why has Quinn never bothered to find out the name of the counterman?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)