|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which piece of clothing did J. lend Quinn in college?
2. Who does Quinn regularly talk to about sports?
3. Who is Michael?
4. Where does Quinn live?
5. What was the name of Peter's nurse as a child?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is significant about the images Quinn draws in his notebook in Chapter 8?
2. Why does Peter wish to be "real" and not a puppet boy?
3. Why is Henry Dark an important figure in Professor Stillman's writing?
4. How does Paul Auster treat Quinn when they first meet?
5. What is Quinn's opinion of the young woman he spots reading his book while at the train station?
6. How was Peter Stillman finally discovered and freed from his confinement when he was young?
7. What happens in the time that passes between Chapters 11 and 12?
8. What is special about the pen Quinn buys from the deaf mute man?
9. How does Quinn react the first time he is called by Peter Stillman?
10. What is the elder Stillman's reaction to Quinn when they first meet face to face?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Quinn and Stillman are alike on many levels. Both men are highly intelligent, but they suffer from the same thing: obsession. Write an essay that analyzes the similarities between Quinn and Stillman when it comes to obsession. What is each man obsessed with? How does obsession ruin their lives? How does each man handle obsession throughout the story?
Essay Topic 2
City of Glass is almost completely told from a third person perspective. Only at the end does the perspective change to first person. Write an essay that explains the importance of the perspective switch in the story. Why is the first part of the story told from third person? Would the story work if told in the first person perspective? Does the change in perspective at the end hinder the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Toward the end of City of Glass, Quinn spends his days living at the abandoned Stillman apartment. Every time he wakes he finds a tray of food next to him. Write an essay explaining the scene in which Quinn wakes to find the tray of food waiting. Why is Quinn not surprised to find food waiting for him? Who might possibly be the one providing it? Could the food be a figment of his imagination?
This section contains 837 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)