|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Valentine want the Mortal Cup?
2. Who attacks Clary?
3. What would happen if Hodge leaves the Institute?
4. What does Jace point out about the Mortal Cup?
5. Where does Clary awaken?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Clary when she goes before the Silent Council?
2. What does Dorothea do as Clary is holding the Mortal Cup and how does Clary respond?
3. Where does Jace get weapons to fight the vampires and what is the relationship between the shadowhunters and various world religions?
4. What does Brother Jeremiah learn when he examines Clary and what does he suggest?
5. Describe the fight with Abbadon.
6. How do Clary and Jace get to the Silent City and what is the Silent City?
7. What does Clary ask of Simon and how does she pressure him to agree to her request?
8. What happens when Clary and Jace return to the Institute?
9. What story does Raphael tell Jace and Clary about some boys, one of whom was his brother?
10. What scene demonstrates Isabelle's dubious cooking abilities?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "City of Bones". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Clare chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Clare chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Clare's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Clare use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 2
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Clary and Isabelle. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Jace and Simon. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "City of Bones" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
Essay Topic 3
Often, authors will write about "what they know," and sometimes knowing a little about the author makes the books more interesting. Discuss the following:
1. Research and give a brief biographical sketch of Cassandra Clare.
2. What in Clare's background may have helped her in writing "City of Bones"? What may have influenced the way she depicts various characters and scenes?
3. Do you think there is always some of the author's own life in his/her novels? Why or why not? Give examples.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)