|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the Silent Brothers?
2. Why does Valentine want the Mortal Cup?
3. What does Jace point out about the Mortal Cup?
4. What happens when Jill stands before the Council?
5. Where did Jocelyn hide the Mortal Cup?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does Jace get weapons to fight the vampires and what is the relationship between the shadowhunters and various world religions?
2. What does Hodge explain about the Circle?
3. Where is Clary when she wakes from losing consciousness and what does Luke tell her?
4. Why does Clary think Jocelyn put the Mortal Cup in the tarot deck?
5. What does Brother Jeremiah learn when he examines Clary and what does he suggest?
6. What does Dorothea do as Clary is holding the Mortal Cup and how does Clary respond?
7. What scene demonstrates Isabelle's dubious cooking abilities?
8. What happens to Raphael when they are searching the inside of the Hotel and where do they find him?
9. What does Magnus Bane explain about the mental block in Clary's mind?
10. What does Hodge say about Valentine's personality and plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. Who is/are the protagonists of the story and why?
2. Who is/are the antagonists of the story and why?
3. Which 3 secondary characters have the greatest impact on the plot?
4. Are any of the characters dispensable and which ones? Why or why not?
5. Do you think this is a character-driven plot or an action-driven plot? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Whenever reading a science fiction or fantasy novel, one must become familiar with new terminology that explains concepts or technology that is not a part of the "real" world. In the case of "City of Bones", there is a great deal of new magical terms and familiar words with new meanings. Discuss the following:
1. Find five terms that are a part of the world of "City of Bones" that are a part of the language but mean something different. Define the words as used in "City of Bones" and compare those five words as to how they are currently used in the American English language.
2. How does the language of "City of Bones" from that of real world New York? Are there words you did not know in the book? What? How do you learn their meanings? What does it mean to grasp a the meaning of a word through its context? Can you do that in "City of Bones"? Give an example of several words whose definition are made clear through the context of how the word is used.
3. There are ways of learning about a new world or time when reading a science fiction or fantasy novel. Discuss the ways you were able to understand the world of "City of Bones" through its vocabulary. Did you have to look up any words?
4. Were there any words you never really understood from "City of Bones"? Which ones? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "City of Bones". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Clare chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Clare chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Clare's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Clare use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
This section contains 1,416 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)