|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Clary need to go to the Silent City?
2. What does Clary think she may know?
3. Who has been watching over Clary?
4. Who is Magnus Bane?
5. What does Jace forget that causes him concern when he remembers?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Clary when she goes before the Silent Council?
2. What story does Raphael tell Jace and Clary about some boys, one of whom was his brother?
3. What does Brother Jeremiah learn when he examines Clary and what does he suggest?
4. What do Jace and Clary find initially when they arrive at Hotel Dumont and look for an entrance into the building?
5. What does Dorothea do as Clary is holding the Mortal Cup and how does Clary respond?
6. What does Dorothea say about Valentine and what does she reveal behind the portal curtain?
7. Why does Jace throw a knife at Raphael, and what do Jace and Clary notice in the stairwell?
8. How does Clary demonstrate her discovery and what does she deduce about the Mortal Cup from her discovery?
9. How do Clary and Jace get to the Silent City and what is the Silent City?
10. What does Hodge say about Valentine's personality and plan?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This is the story of Clary, a mundane human girl who soon discovers that she is not who she thought she was. She is the daughter of two shadowhunters, one exiled by choice, and the other for crimes against the Clave. Her adventures take her from being a normal teenage girl to a demon-slaying heroine without ever having to leave New York City. She meets Jace, a boy that appears to be a brother she never knew she had, and she rescues her mother who is still in a coma at the end of the book. Jace, who has never met Clary's mother, who is supposed to be his mother also, does not react in a positive manner to finding out his past. Jace wants nothing to do with Jocelyn. He knows that she is his mother, but he has never met her and does not want to go to the hospital with Clary.
1. Discuss, in depth, the changes that have occurred in Clary's life since meeting Jace. Use examples from "City of Bones" and your own life to support your answer.
2. Discuss how Clary feels about finding out her whole life with her mother was a lie. How do you think finding out so many secrets about her life affects her? Use examples from "City of Bones" to support your answer.
3. Why do you think Jace reacts the way he does towards Jocelyn? What do you think he needs to do to accept all the new information about himself he has been told? Use examples from "City of Bones" and your own life to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
"City of Bones" is one book in a series of novels involving Clary, Jace, Simon and their families and friends. Discuss the following.
1. What are some advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "City of Bones" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "City of Bones" a successful novel? What about young teens?
This section contains 1,373 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)