|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Jace land on when he jumps the fence?
2. How does Clary deal with what she finds?
3. What do Blackwell and Panghorn ask?
4. What does Dorotea claim?
5. Who does Simon bring to Clary's assistance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where do Clary and Simon go and who do they see in line in front of them?
2. Who do both Clary and the blue-haired boy notice and where does the person go?
3. What happens when Clary gets home from the club and how does she respond?
4. What does Clary's mom want her to do and how does she respond?
5. Who arrive at Luke's apartment and what do they discuss with Luke?
6. Who are the Forsaken?
7. What do Clary and Jace tell Hodge and how does he react to the mention of Valentine?
8. What do Clary's neighbor say about noises?
9. Why does Clary run home frantically?
10. Where and when does Clary waken and who is with her?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss one of the following:
1. Trace and analyze the theme of growth in "City of Bones". Consider the following questions as you write: What characters are most concerned with growth? Why? What are some symbols of growth? Symbols of rigidity? What characters seem rigid?
2. Trace and analyze the theme of courage in "City of Bones". Which characters struggle with this issue? Why? Which characters seem to possess courage? Why?
3. Trace and analyze the theme of death in "City of Bones". Consider the death of Mike as an random act of nature and the death of Luis as the result of conscious violence. Consider also in your answer the death of innocence in Rick from the beginning of the book to the end.
Essay Topic 2
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "City of Bones". Questions that Clare most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Clare's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Clare's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Clare and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
Essay Topic 3
1. What is foreshadowing? How many incidences of foreshadowing are in "City of Bones"? How does foreshadowing contribute to a book's suspense?
2. Discuss an example of foreshadowing in "City of Bones" including why you believe it is foreshadowing. Include examples from the book and your own life to illustrate your answer.
3. How do you think most people react to uncertainty in their lives? Use examples from the text to support your opinion.
This section contains 926 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)