|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who would Simon like as a girlfriend?
2. Why is Simon embarrassed at the poetry reading?
3. What does Dorothea say about Jace when she reads his tea leaves?
4. Why does Mrs. Lightwood refuse to teach Isabelle to cook?
5. What does Jace say is a great honor for Simon?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jace react to Madame Dorothea and how does Clary defend her?
2. Where and when does Clary waken and who is with her?
3. How does Clary get out of the apartment and who are the police who arrive?
4. What does Clary find when she goes inside her apartment?
5. How do Jace and Clary leave Dorothea's apartment and where do they go?
6. What does Clary after looking around the room for a minute?
7. Why does Clary run home frantically?
8. What does Clary's mom want her to do and how does she respond?
9. What do Clary's neighbor say about noises?
10. What does the bouncer ask the blue-haired boy and what does the bouncer decide?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Many readers of fiction place themselves in the position of one character, wondering if they would do the same thing as that character. Discuss the following:
1. Do you think one of the values of literature is to serve as a reflection of oneself? Why or why not?
2. Socrates said "Know thyself." How can reading a book such as "City of Bones" help a reader to know him/herself? Do you find yourself reflecting on your own character and abilities when reading "City of Bones"? Why or why not.
3. Choose one specific incident in the book to discuss and compare one of the characters' response to how you think you would respond.
Essay Topic 2
"City of Bones" is one book in a series of novels involving Clary, Jace, Simon and their families and friends. Discuss the following.
1. What are some advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss one of the following:
1. Thoroughly analyze how the setting informs the plot in "City of Bones".
2. Trace and analyze one major theme of this story. How is the theme represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
3. Trace and analyze two secondary themes of "City of Bones". How are the themes represented by symbolism? By the characters' behaviors? By the action?
This section contains 945 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)