|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Clary's mother do when she gets home that night?
2. Where do Simon and Clary go for dinner?
3. What is the effect of Clary's actions?
4. What does Dorotea claim?
5. Who are Blackwell and Pangborn?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who do both Clary and the blue-haired boy notice and where does the person go?
2. What does Clary do when she sees the situation with the girl and the three boys?
3. Who does Clary notice following the girl and the blue-haired boy and what is disturbing about one of the boys?
4. Why does Clary run home frantically?
5. How does Clary get out of the apartment and who are the police who arrive?
6. How does Jace react to Madame Dorothea and how does Clary defend her?
7. What does Hodge explain to Clary about the Mortal Cup and Valentine?
8. What happens when Clary gets home from the club and how does she respond?
9. What happens to the demon and how is Clary stung by the demon?
10. What discussion do Dorothea and Jace have about witches?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"City of Bones" is one book in a series of novels involving Clary, Jace, Simon and their families and friends. Discuss the following.
1. What are some advantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
2. What are some disadvantages of writing a series of novels about the same characters? Use examples.
3. Do you prefer to read a standalone book, or a series of books with the same main characters? Explain your response.
4. Do you think it is easier, more difficult, or about the same to write a standalone book versus one in a series? Explain your answer.
Essay Topic 2
Choose one of the following to discuss:
1. Choose two significant symbols and trace and analyze their appearance in "City of Bones". Are these universal symbols? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other symbols that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Clare chooses the symbols he does?
2. Choose two important metaphors and trace and analyze their appearance in the novel. Are these universal metaphors? Would they be understood in any culture? Are there other metaphors that would portray the same idea? What are they? Why do you think Clare chooses the metaphors she does?
3. Discuss Clare's use (or lack ) of literary device (such as foreshadowing, cliffhangers, deux ex machina, etc.), and how they add or detract from the story. Does Clare use too many or too little literary techniques? State which of the five major elements of fiction the literary device is related to (style, character, plot, setting, theme.)
Essay Topic 3
There are a number of interesting questions raised by "City of Bones". Questions that Clare most likely want readers to consider and think through carefully. Discuss the following:
1. What does the term "author agenda" mean?
2. Name one idea/concept you think may have been a part of the Clare's agenda. Analyze that idea throughout the book and discuss Clare's probable agenda concerning that idea.
2. Do you think writers who have an agenda for writing should point it out in a preface?
3. How often do you think fiction is written with a clear agenda in mind by the author?
4. Research the life of Clare and see if/where her life may have influenced her writing.
This section contains 1,052 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)