|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who comes out of Clary's old room?
2. What does Clary notice in Madame's Dorothea's apartment?
3. How long ago did Valentine supposedly die?
4. What do Clary's neighbors comment upon when she arrives home?
5. Where does Clary see two boys going, one of whom has a knife?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Clary find when she goes inside her apartment?
2. Why does Clary run home frantically?
3. What does Dorothea discover in Jace and Clary's tea leaves?
4. Who does Clary notice following the girl and the blue-haired boy and what is disturbing about one of the boys?
5. Why is Simon at Luke's house and what has he seen?
6. Who arrive at Luke's apartment and what do they discuss with Luke?
7. How does Clary get out of the apartment and who are the police who arrive?
8. What does Clary encounter when she is searching for her mother and what does she do?
9. Where do Clary and Simon go and who do they see in line in front of them?
10. What do the three young people find in Luke's apartment and what does that tell them?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the following:
1. What do you think are the characteristics of a successful novel?
2. Analyze and discuss "City of Bones" based upon the criteria you decide upon in #1 and judge if it is a successful novel.
3. Do you think the criteria for a successful novel should be different if it is written for adults versus young adults? Why or why not? Would most adults consider "City of Bones" a successful novel? What about young teens?
Essay Topic 2
Titles often play a vital role in making a person decide to read a particular book. Discuss the following:
1. Fully explain why you think "City of Bones" is titled as such. Do you think it is the best title for the book? Why or why not? Can you think of a better title? Why would you choose it?
2. How important is a title in influencing you to consider reading a book? Explain your answer.
3. Do you think a title needs to have direct relevance to a book's content? Explain your answer.
4. Have you ever read a book that when you finished, you do not understand the relevance of the title? Does it discourage you from "trusting" that particular author again?
Essay Topic 3
Characters are an integral and important part of almost all novels. Discuss the following:
1. Compare/contrast the characters of Clary and Isabelle. How are they similar? How are they different? Is there a flaw in each of their personalities? Be specific and give examples.
2. Compare/contrast the characters of Jace and Simon. How do they seem different? Which do you like more? Why? Which one seems more of a well-rounded character?
3. Thoroughly analyze how three of the secondary characters in "City of Bones" help drive the plot and what their contribution is to the storyline. Are any of the secondary characters unnecessary? Indispensable? Which of the secondary characters are likable? Which are either unlikable or even despicable? Be specific and give examples.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)