|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the single text message still visible on Simon's phone in Chapter 16?
2. What has changed about Simon's condition in the Epilogue?
3. Who is the first of the Shadowhunters that rushes aboard the ship to fight in Chapter 18?
4. What is the object that the Inquisitor demands Jace take out of his jacket pocket in Chapter 14?
5. What is the title of Chapter 16?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Simon discover when he awakens in Chapter 16? Where is Simon?
2. What does Clary consider about Simon's appearance in Chapter 13?
3. What does Clary surmise about her abilities in Chapter 14?
4. What exchange takes place between Isabelle and Jace in Chapter 16?
5. What exchange takes place between Jace and Raphael in Chapter 13? What does this exchange signify?
6. What exchange takes place between Valentine and Jace in Chapter 13?
7. Whom does Clary encounter at the hospital in the Epilogue? What does this character reveal?
8. Where are Clary, Luke, and Jace going in Chapter 17? Why?
9. What purpose does the Epilogue serve in City of Ashes?
10. When does the Inquisitor arrive on Valentine's ship in Chapter 18? What does she do upon arriving?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of prejudice in City of Ashes. What are some examples of prejudices between the different factions or species in the narrative? How do these prejudices impact the main characters? How would you relate these prejudices to your own life?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family in City of Ashes. How is this theme developed through character, symbolism, imagery, and action in the narrative? How does the meaning of family change for the characters in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the relationship between Clary and Jace in the novel. For how long have Clary and Jace known one another? Why does their relationship cause inner conflict for both characters? How would you feel in this situation?
This section contains 949 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)