|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is in the box that Alec brings over in Chapter 14?
2. Who is the first of the Shadowhunters that rushes aboard the ship to fight in Chapter 18?
3. How old does Luke say he'll let Clary start dating in the Epilogue?
4. Where does Jace find Valentine in Chapter 13?
5. What does the narrator say Clary had always hated in the beginning of Chapter 18?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens after Magnus arrives at Luke's house in Chapter 12?
2. What exchange takes place between Jace and the Inquisitor in Chapter 15?
3. What does Clary consider about Simon's appearance in Chapter 13?
4. How is the effectiveness of Clary's rune proven in Chapter 14?
5. How does Maia respond when she realizes that Simon is a vampire in Chapter 12?
6. When does the Inquisitor arrive on Valentine's ship in Chapter 18? What does she do upon arriving?
7. How do Jace, Clary, and Luke manage to get on Valentine's ship in Chapter 17?
8. What exchange takes place between Valentine and the Inquisitor in Chapter 17?
9. How does the Inquisitor save Jace's life in Chapter 18?
10. What exchange takes place between Isabelle and Jace in Chapter 16?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the events that occur in the Epilogue of the novel. What has led to Simon's recovery? What information does Simon relate to Clary in the Epilogue? What does Clary learn from Jace? What does she encounter when she arrives at the hospital?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family in City of Ashes. How is this theme developed through character, symbolism, imagery, and action in the narrative? How does the meaning of family change for the characters in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the character of Luke in the novel. How does Clary know Luke? What is Luke's relationship with Jocelyn? What is Luke's history with the Clave and the werewolf society?
This section contains 914 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)