|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What street is below Isabelle's bedroom window in Chapter 16?
2. What is the name of the seraph blade that Jace uses to attack the demons in Chapter 12?
3. Who denies dating Magnus in Chapter 12?
4. Where has Jace become injured while fighting the demons on the ship in Chapter 18?
5. By what name does Robert call the Inquisitor in Chapter 14?
Short Essay Questions
1. What exchange takes place between Valentine and the Inquisitor in Chapter 17?
2. What does Clary discover once she's on Valentine's ship in Chapter 18?
3. What happens when Jace boards the ship in Chapter 19?
4. What exchange takes place between Clary and Luke in the Epilogue?
5. Where are Clary, Luke, and Jace going in Chapter 17? Why?
6. What exchange takes place between Clary and Valentine in Chapter 19?
7. What happens after Magnus arrives at Luke's house in Chapter 12?
8. How is the effectiveness of Clary's rune proven in Chapter 14?
9. What do Clary and Luke discover when they arrive at Simon's home in Chapter 16?
10. What exchange takes place between Jace and Raphael in Chapter 13? What does this exchange signify?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the plot structure of City of Ashes. Where in the narrative do the exposition, rising action, climax, falling action, and denouement occur? How would you compare the structure of this novel with others you have read in class? Did you feel that the ending of the novel was a happy one? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Valentine's overall objective and his actions and obstacles in the story. What does Valentine want to achieve by performing the ritual? Why does he want to achieve this goal? What must he do in order to achieve his objective?
Essay Topic 3
Describe a Shadowhunter. How are these individuals recognized? What is the objective of the Clave and Shadowhunter society? How do Shadowhunters relate to the other creatures in the novel?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)