|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Raphael described as being in Chapter 3?
2. What hospital is described in the opening of Chapter 11?
3. What is the name of Clary's mother?
4. What is the name of Maia's older brother who had been unbearably cruel to her?
5. How many floors comprise the Metropole, according to the narrator in the Prologue?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conversation takes place between Jace and Valentine in Chapter 5?
2. Why is Luke called after a werewolf has been discovered killed in Chapter 2? Who else arrives, and why?
3. How does Clary assist in freeing Jace from prison in Chapter 6?
4. On what condition does the Faerie Queen say she'll release Clary from Seelie Court?
5. What is the significance of Simon's conversion to being a vampire in Chapter 10?
6. What is "Glamour" in the narrative, and how does it apply at the Institute?
7. What happens when Simon "re-awakens" as a vampire in Chapter 10?
8. How would you describe the relationship between Jace and Simon in City of Ashes?
9. What does Clary dream about in the beginning of Chapter 8?
10. Describe Clary's chldhood. Who raised Clary and what has happened to this character?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of prejudice in City of Ashes. What are some examples of prejudices between the different factions or species in the narrative? How do these prejudices impact the main characters? How would you relate these prejudices to your own life?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the settings in City of Ashes. Where do Clary and the other main characters live? How do they travel around their environment? What imagery does the author employ in describing the settings in the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of love and romance in City of Ashes. What characters in the novel are romantically linked? What challenges do these relationships face in the course of the story? How are these themes developed through imagery, symbolism, and setting?
This section contains 924 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)