|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is described as the youngest Lightwood in Chapter 1?
2. Where do Jace, Clary, and Simon meet Isabelle in Chapter 8?
3. What is described as the second of the Mortal Instruments used in trials to determine if a Shadowhunter is lying in Chapter 3?
4. What is the title of Chapter 8?
5. Who is the author of the quote that opens Part Two of the novel?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Luke called after a werewolf has been discovered killed in Chapter 2? Who else arrives, and why?
2. Who is Stephen Herondale and what is his significance in City of Ashes?
3. What happens when Simon "re-awakens" as a vampire in Chapter 10?
4. What does Clary learn when she arrives at the Institute in Chapter 5?
5. Where is the Silent City and how is it described in the narrative?
6. What happens once the Inquisitor faces Jace in Chapter 7?
7. What conversation takes place between Jace and Valentine in Chapter 5?
8. What is "Glamour" in the narrative, and how does it apply at the Institute?
9. What warnings do Clary and her friends receive when they enter Seelie Court?
10. What are Maia's feelings toward Jace? How are Maia's feelings about Jace tied to her past?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the theme of coming of age in City of Ashes. How can the characters in the novel be seen as metaphors for contemporary teenage society? What are the struggles that the characters face as they grow older and wiser? How does the author develop this theme through symbolism?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the character of Maia in the novel. How does Maia come to know Clary and her group of friends? When did Maia become a werewolf? How does this impact her relationships with the other main characters?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the family members of the Lightwood family. How many siblings are in this family? Who is the matriarch of the family? Who is the patriarch? Are these characters likable? Why or why not?
This section contains 928 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)