|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Luke's vehicle described in Chapter 11?
2. Who wrote the following quote that opens Part One of the novel: "I believe I am in Hell, therefore I am"?
3. Who is explaining anime to Clary in Chapter 1?
4. What river is described next to the Metropole in the Prologue?
5. Who has brought the blood to the cemetery in Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Luke tell Clary about Simon in Chapter 11?
2. How did Valentine's "faked death" impact Jace and his perceptions of his family?
3. Who is Stephen Herondale and what is his significance in City of Ashes?
4. Where is the Silent City and how is it described in the narrative?
5. On what condition does the Faerie Queen say she'll release Clary from Seelie Court?
6. What are Maia's feelings toward Jace? How are Maia's feelings about Jace tied to her past?
7. What happens once the Inquisitor faces Jace in Chapter 7?
8. What does Clary relate to her mother in Chapter 11? Who overhears her?
9. What happens to Jace after he is imprisoned in Chapter 5?
10. What is "Glamour" in the narrative, and how does it apply at the Institute?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the narrative style of City of Ashes. Is the story related from the present or past tense? Is the narrator of the story involved in the action? Is the narrator's perspective omniscient or limited? How do each of these choices influence you as a reader? How would the narrative change from a different point of view?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of coming of age in City of Ashes. How can the characters in the novel be seen as metaphors for contemporary teenage society? What are the struggles that the characters face as they grow older and wiser? How does the author develop this theme through symbolism?
Essay Topic 3
Describe a Shadowhunter. How are these individuals recognized? What is the objective of the Clave and Shadowhunter society? How do Shadowhunters relate to the other creatures in the novel?
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)