|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Thorby is promoted to what?
2. What was in his bowl that the gentleman took?
3. Who witnessed the adoption?
4. What did the youngster call Thorby when serving his meals?
5. Why did Baslim choose to beg in the Plaza of Liberty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the beggar do with the boy when he gets to his home?
2. What are Thorby's sleeping habits?
3. Where does Thorby go from Joy Street, and why?
4. How was Thorby smuggled to the shipyards?
5. Why does Baslim dislike hypnosis?
6. What does Thorby discover after he returns home after attempting to deliver the message at the ship harbor?
7. How does the beggar get the boy home to his hole?
8. Describe Captain Krausa.
9. What message does Thorby give to the captain, and how is it believable?
10. Why is Mata traded to the El Nido?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Part 1) Describe the role that trade and commerce played in the story.
Part 2) In what ways does the trade and commerce in the story differ from modern day? In what ways is it the same?
Part 3) What can the reader glean from the trade and commerce as it is described in the book?
Essay Topic 2
Education is highly enforced by Baslim in the story.
Part 1) What is the reason that Baslim pushes Thorby so hard to be educated?
Part 2) How would the story have differed had Baslim had no education?
Essay Topic 3
Baslim had been reluctant to use hypnosis on Thorby but eventually did in order to help Thorby be rid of the nightmares.
Part 1) Explain the role that hypnotism played in the story and why Baslim seemed to be opposed to the use of it.
Part 2) If hypnosis could be used in real life with the certainty that it was used in the story, what problems would come form its use? What benefits?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)