|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was the name of the neighborhood that was not under curfew?
2. What was the first thing the boy tried to do?
3. Who is the first person on the Sisu to speak to Thorby?
4. Why did Auntie tell Thorby to hide?
5. What caused the beggar to believe the boy was not docile?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the gentleman that Thorby sees late one night.
2. What does the policeman reveal in his conversation with Auntie Singham?
3. Upon Baslim's death what does he ask Thorby to do?
4. Describe what Mother Sharum saw the night she helped smuggle Thorby to the shipyard.
5. Once outside in the hallways of the ship what does Thorby discover?
6. Under hypnosis, what does Baslim learn about Thorby?
7. What is Dr.Mader's opinion of The People's freedom?
8. What news does Thorby receive when seeing the fortune teller on Joy Street?
9. Where does Thorby go from Joy Street, and why?
10. How was Thorby smuggled to the shipyards?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Baslim chose to commit suicide rather than be questioned.
Part 1) What does it reveal about Baslim that he would rather take poison than be questioned by the police?
Part 2) Why did the police choose to 'shorten' Baslim even though he was already dead?
Essay Topic 2
Part 1) Explain Thorby's reaction to being in charge of the family company and the family money.
Part 2) Why does Thorby say that he is better at being a beggar than being wealthy?
Essay Topic 3
Part 1) What is the reason that Thorby doesn't think as highly of Captain Krausa as he did Baslim? Is there any indication that Krausa didn't treat Thorby as his own child?
Part 2) Did Baslim mean for Krausa to have taken Baslim in as his adopted son? Explain your answer.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)