|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is the author when she describes a man showing her a picture of his wife in Chapter 5?
2. What word used in Chapter 5 refers to a caste in Hinduism specializing as priests, teachers, and protectors of sacred learning?
3. What does the man point out about his wife when he shows the author a picture of her in Chapter 5?
4. On what date did the beating take place involving the Jena Six?
5. Chapter 6 is described by the author as a script for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scenario does the author describe while waiting at a bar of a restaurant in Chapter 5?
2. What does Hurricane Katrina symbolize for the author?
3. How does the author juxtapose the reality of Hurrican Katrina victims with their depiction in the media?
4. What scenario does the author present when an unnamed man is arrested in Chapter 6?
5. How does the author describe the effects of Hurricane Katrina in Chapter 6?
6. How is the theme of being forgotten explored in Chapter 6?
7. How does the author's language and narrative style change in Chapter 5?
8. How are "words" presented in Chapter 5?
9. What does the author say regarding questions and answers in Chapter 6?
10. How does the narrator describe overcoming her inner struggle in the conclusion of Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the murder of James Craig Anderson. When and where was James Craig Anderson murdered? Who killed him? How? What were the impacts of James Craig Anderson's murder?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the scenario in Chapter 7 with the white woman and black man on the bus. What realization does the woman reach in this story? How is her realization a metaphor for society? What is the outcome of this scenario?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the death of Mark Duggan. Where and when was Duggan killed? What led to his death? How did Duggan's death impact race relations in England and in other parts of Europe?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)