|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What color is described repeatedly throughout Chapter 5?
2. What was the song-and-dance caricature of blacks that developed later into the term "Jim Crow" in referring to African Americans?
3. What word from Chapter 6 means to represent something as being beautiful?
4. On what date was Mark Duggan murdered?
5. On what dates does the author cite for the section titled "In Memory of Trayvon Martin" in Chapter 6?
Short Essay Questions
1. What scenario does the author describe while waiting at a bar of a restaurant in Chapter 5?
2. What theme is explored when the narrator describes her experience in the drug store in Chapter 5?
3. How is the theme of the pain of prejudice explored in Chapter 6?
4. What are some examples of imagery (simile, metaphor, etc.) in Chapter 5?
5. How is the theme of anger explored in Chapter 6?
6. How is the theme of being forgotten explored in Chapter 6?
7. What color is explored in Chapter 5? What does this color represent for the author?
8. How does the narrator describe overcoming her inner struggle in the conclusion of Chapter 5?
9. What is an example of irony in Chapter 5? How does this example serve the work?
10. How are "words" presented in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the author use sunglasses as a symbolic image in the book? What do the sunglasses represent? How are they a metaphor for prejudice and/or overlooking prejudice?
Essay Topic 2
Describe and discuss the death of Mark Duggan. Where and when was Duggan killed? What led to his death? How did Duggan's death impact race relations in England and in other parts of Europe?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss the images reproduced in Citizen: An American Lyric. How does the inclusion of these images help to support the book's themes? What impact do the images have on you as a reader? What symbolism is seen in the images?
This section contains 798 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)