|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The author describes hearing two men outside a conference room in Chapter 3, when one says to the other that "being around black people is like" what?
2. The author concludes Chapter 3 by saying that what "shouldn't be an ambition"?
3. How old does the author describe the school girl in Chapter 1?
4. What is the name of the girl who sits behind the protagonist in the school room in Chapter 1?
5. Rankine opens Chapter 4 with the statement that "To live through the days sometimes you moan like" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What realization does the author reach in Chapter 3?
2. Who is Judith Butler and why does the author cite her in Chapter 3?
3. What theme predominates Chapter 2 of Citizen: An American Lyric?
4. How does the author describe Serena Williams in Chapter 4?
5. What is signified and alluded to by the picture of the Rutgers women's basketball team in Chapter 3?
6. How does the author describe Serena Williams's career in 2012?
7. How does the author describe Serena Williams's performance in the 2009 U.S. Women’s Open in Chapter 2?
8. What happens in the narrative at the Catholic school in Chapter 1?
9. What symbolism can be seen in the imagery in Chapter 1?
10. What theme stands out in Chapter 3?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss the scenarios presented by the author in Chapter 1. What are the different "characters" presented by the narrator? What do these characters experience? How do their experiences affect them?
Essay Topic 2
Who is Hennessey Youngman and what show does he produce? What does the author cite Youngman for in Chapter 2? Does the author agree with Youngman's assertions? Do you? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the events surrounding the Rodney King beating and the ensuing riots. What led to Rodney King's beating? How were these events presented in the media? How did the Rodney King beating influence race relations in the U.S.?
This section contains 729 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)