|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author claims in Chapter 5 that "the conversations you have with your eyes translate" what?
(a) "A shiny skyscraper."
(b) "A desperation that you cannot name."
(c) "A white cloud of rain."
(d) "Everything and nothing."
2. What word from Chapter 6 refers to something suitable to become the subject of a lawsuit?
3. What was considered to be the murder weapon in James Craig Anderson's death?
(a) A knife.
(b) A rope.
(c) A gun.
(d) A truck.
4. What word from Chapter 5 means relating or denoting the writing of letters?
5. What word used by the author in Chapter 5 refers to a thing that represents or stands for something else?
Short Answer Questions
1. What does "FEMA" stand for?
2. When was Trayvon Martin born?
3. What is the narrator instructed to do after being fingerprinted and stripped in "Stop-and-Frisk" in Chapter 6?
4. What phrase does the author describe trying to stamp from her mind in Chapter 6?
5. What does the author describe holding in her hand as she leans against the sink in the end of Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. What theme is explored by the author in examining the Trayvon Martin case in Chapter 6?
2. What does the author say regarding questions and answers in Chapter 6?
3. How does the author compare the Rodney King beating and the death of Mark Duggan in Chapter 6?
4. How does the narrator describe overcoming her inner struggle in the conclusion of Chapter 5?
5. What is the author referring to when she writes "I was creating a life study of a monumental first person, a Brahmin first person"?
6. What theme is explored when the narrator describes her experience in the drug store in Chapter 5?
7. How does the author's language and narrative style change in Chapter 5?
8. What does Hurricane Katrina symbolize for the author?
9. What scenario does the author describe while waiting at a bar of a restaurant in Chapter 5?
10. What assertions does the author make regarding the James Craig Anderson incident in Chapter 6?
This section contains 903 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)