|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the author solicit the reader to "Join me down here" in Chapter 5?
(a) "In nowhere."
(b) "In sorrow."
(c) "In history."
(d) "In tomorrow."
2. What phrase does the author describe trying to stamp from her mind in Chapter 6?
(a) "An ideal to attain."
(b) "Faith, not fear."
(c) "A cautionary warning."
(d) "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
3. What does the author claim "won't attach you to anything no matter how depleted you feel" in Chapter 5?
4. What does the author describe happening at the drugstore in Chapter 5?
(a) Her card is declined.
(b) Her friend slips and falls.
(c) She is falsely arrested.
(d) A man breaks in line ahead of her.
5. What animal does the author describe "surveying movement against the calm, red sky at morning" in Chapter 5?
(a) A gray wolf.
(b) A red-tailed hawk.
(c) A bald eagle.
(d) A shark.
Short Answer Questions
1. What word in Chapter 5 means to cease resistance to an enemy or opponent and submit to their authority?
2. What word from Chapter 5 refers to a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts?
3. What does "FEMA" stand for?
4. What word from Chapter 6 refers to something suitable to become the subject of a lawsuit?
5. Who were the Jena Six convicted of beating?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the author state regarding the Jena Six case in Chapter 6?
2. What does the author say regarding questions and answers in Chapter 6?
3. Why does the author discuss eating cereal in Chapter 5?
4. How does the narrator describe overcoming her inner struggle in the conclusion of Chapter 5?
5. How does the term "microaggression" apply in Chapter 5?
6. How is the theme of anger explored in Chapter 6?
7. What is an example of irony in Chapter 5? How does this example serve the work?
8. What are some examples of imagery (simile, metaphor, etc.) in Chapter 5?
9. How does the author describe the past in Chapter 5?
10. What color is explored in Chapter 5? What does this color represent for the author?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)