|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author concludes Chapter 3 by saying that what "shouldn't be an ambition"?
(b) "Just getting along."
(c) "New paths to progress."
(d) "Reexamining history."
2. What does the author say sighing does in Chapter 4?
(a) It entices.
(b) It encourages.
(c) It upsets.
(d) It elicits sympathy.
3. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a sentimental longing for the past?
4. How old does the author describe the school girl in Chapter 1?
5. What does the author describe the passenger in her car telling her in Chapter 1?
(a) "That his wife is leaving him for the dean with whom she's been having an affair."
(b) "That his dean is making him hire a person of color when there are so many great writers out there."
(c) "He didn't care for his family or his friends."
(d) "That his work was examining race in America."
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the author describe rushing to meet a friend in the beginning of Chapter 3?
2. What does the world say about memory and the past, according to the author in Chapter 4?
3. Where has Judith Butler taught since 1993?
4. What does the word "iterate" mean in Chapter 4?
5. The author says in Chapter 4 that "truth be told, you could no more control those sighs than" what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the theme of memory addressed in Chapter 4?
2. What theme predominates Chapter 1 of Citizen: An American Lyric?
3. How does the author describe Serena Williams's performance in the 2009 U.S. Women’s Open in Chapter 2?
4. What conclusion does the author reach in Chapter 4?
5. How does the author illustrate the differences between white and black experiences in Chapter 3?
6. Who is Hennessy Youngman and what is discussed regarding him in Chapter 2?
7. What theme stands out in Chapter 3?
8. How does the narrator feel about her experiences described in Chapter 1?
9. How does the narrator respond when she is called a derogatory name by a friend in Chapter 3?
10. What is signified and alluded to by the picture of the Rutgers women's basketball team in Chapter 3?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)