|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author describes "the past" as a life sentence and uses what metaphor to describe it in Chapter 5?
(a) "A blunt instrument aimed at tomorrow."
(b) "A sharp arrow shooting backward."
(c) "A car rolling down a mountain."
(d) "A pillow where you lay your head."
2. What does the author describe holding in her hand as she leans against the sink in the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A dishrag.
(b) A plate of food.
(c) A gun.
(d) Red wine.
3. Chapter 6 is described by the author as a script for what?
(a) An historical play.
(b) A web series.
(c) A docu-drama.
(d) A situation video.
4. In Chapter 6, the author writes, "The days of our childhood together were steep steps into a" what?
(a) "Lost history."
(b) "Confusing future."
(c) "Silent attic."
(d) "Collapsing mind."
5. What word used by the author in Chapter 5 refers to a thing that represents or stands for something else?
6. What word does the author use in Chapter 5 to mean a thing that blocks one's way?
7. Who shot and killed Trayvon Martin?
(a) Sherman James.
(b) George Zimmerman.
(c) Chris Marker.
(d) Zora Neale Hurston.
8. What word in Chapter 5 means to cease resistance to an enemy or opponent and submit to their authority?
9. The author writes in Chapter 5, "Everyone understood you to be suffering and still everyone thought you thought" what?
(a) "You were the sun."
(b) "You were alone."
(c) "You were nothing."
(d) "You were invisible."
10. On what date was Mark Duggan murdered?
(a) February 26, 2012.
(b) December 4, 2006.
(c) August 4, 2011.
(d) August 29, 2005.
11. What phrase does the author describe trying to stamp from her mind in Chapter 6?
(a) "An ideal to attain."
(b) "A cautionary warning."
(c) "Speak softly and carry a big stick."
(d) "Faith, not fear."
12. The author writes in Chapter 6, "My brother is completed by" what?
13. What does the author claim "won't attach you to anything no matter how depleted you feel" in Chapter 5?
14. Where is the author when she describes a man showing her a picture of his wife in Chapter 5?
(a) In her friend's house.
(b) In a convenient store.
(c) In a seminar meeting.
(d) In the bar of a restaurant.
15. The author claims in Chapter 5, "Listen, you, I was creating a life study of" what?
(a) "Our ancestors."
(b) "A monumental first person."
(c) "A clown."
(d) "An alienated and unkind soul."
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, the author says, "The fiction of the facts assumes innocence, ignorance, lack of intention" and what else?
2. Who murdered James Craig Anderson?
3. The author writes in Chapter 6, "In a landscape drawn from an ocean bed, you can't drive yourself" what?
4. What animal does the author describe "surveying movement against the calm, red sky at morning" in Chapter 5?
5. On what date did the center of Hurricane Katrina pass southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana?
This section contains 480 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)