|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When was Trayvon Martin born?
2. What does the author tell the reader not to lean against in Chapter 5?
(a) The judge.
(b) The peeling paint.
(c) The wallpaper.
(d) The fence.
3. What was considered to be the murder weapon in James Craig Anderson's death?
(a) A truck.
(b) A rope.
(c) A gun.
(d) A knife.
4. What word from Chapter 5 refers to humor or frivolity, especially in the treatment of a serious matter?
5. What does the author describe holding in her hand as she leans against the sink in the end of Chapter 5?
(a) A plate of food.
(b) Red wine.
(c) A dishrag.
(d) A gun.
6. What does the man point out about his wife when he shows the author a picture of her in Chapter 5?
(a) She is young.
(b) She is Hispanic.
(c) She is black.
(d) She is white.
7. What word used in Chapter 5 refers to a caste in Hinduism specializing as priests, teachers, and protectors of sacred learning?
8. In Chapter 6, the author writes, "He said, I don't know what the water wanted. It wanted to show you" what?
(a) "Your loss."
(b) "How strong it was."
(c) "No one would come."
(d) "Your own vulnerabilities."
9. Rankine writes in Chapter 5, "You could build a world out of need or you could" do what?
(a) "Hold everything black and see."
(b) "Lose need altogether."
(c) "Walk forward without looking."
(d) "Stand in silence."
10. What does "FEMA" stand for?
(a) The Financial Emergency Mitigation Agency.
(b) The Federal Emergency Management Agency.
(c) The First Emercency Management Agency.
(d) The Federal Extention Management Agency.
11. What does the ocean do regarding the "blues it can't absorb" in Chapter 5?
(a) It blushes.
(b) It flees.
(c) It hides.
(d) It shivers.
12. What word from Chapter 5 means relating or denoting the writing of letters?
13. What does the author describe pouring three bowls of in Chapter 5?
14. The author writes in Chapter 5, "Yesterday called to say we were together and you were" what?
15. The author writes in Chapter 5, "You begin to move around in search of the steps it will take before you are thrown back into your own body, back into your own need" for what?
(a) "To be found."
(b) "For justice."
(c) "To be loved."
(d) "For history."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author claim "won't attach you to anything no matter how depleted you feel" in Chapter 5?
2. How does the author describe the houses in Louisiana during Katrina in Chapter 6?
3. In "Long Form Birth Certificate" in Chapter 6, the author writes, "All living is listening for" what?
4. What word from Chapter 5 means censored or obscured?
5. What does the author describe the storm carrying her through in Chapter 5?
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)