|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Chapter 5, the author writes, "You give yourself back until nothing's left but the dissolving blues of" what?
2. What was considered to be the murder weapon in James Craig Anderson's death?
(a) A knife.
(b) A truck.
(c) A rope.
(d) A gun.
3. What does the author tell the reader not to lean against in Chapter 5?
(a) The fence.
(b) The wallpaper.
(c) The judge.
(d) The peeling paint.
4. On what date was Mark Duggan murdered?
(a) August 4, 2011.
(b) December 4, 2006.
(c) August 29, 2005.
(d) February 26, 2012.
5. Who shot and killed Trayvon Martin?
(a) George Zimmerman.
(b) Chris Marker.
(c) Zora Neale Hurston.
(d) Sherman James.
6. When was Trayvon Martin born?
7. What word used in Chapter 5 refers to a caste in Hinduism specializing as priests, teachers, and protectors of sacred learning?
8. What is the narrator instructed to do after being fingerprinted and stripped in "Stop-and-Frisk" in Chapter 6?
(a) To leave and walk home.
(b) To speak with her lawyer.
(c) To step into the holding cell.
(d) To make a telephone call.
9. The author claims in Chapter 5 that "the conversations you have with your eyes translate" what?
(a) "Everything and nothing."
(b) "A desperation that you cannot name."
(c) "A white cloud of rain."
(d) "A shiny skyscraper."
10. Where did James Craig Anderson work?
(a) At a Nissan plant.
(b) At a Chevrolet plant.
(c) At a Toyota plant.
(d) At a Ford plant.
11. What word from Chapter 6 refers to something suitable to become the subject of a lawsuit?
12. The author writes in Chapter 5, "Someone claimed we should use our skin as" what?
(a) "A blanket."
13. The author describes "the past" as a life sentence and uses what metaphor to describe it in Chapter 5?
(a) "A pillow where you lay your head."
(b) "A car rolling down a mountain."
(c) "A sharp arrow shooting backward."
(d) "A blunt instrument aimed at tomorrow."
14. What word from Chapter 5 refers to a state of being pleasantly lost in one's thoughts?
15. Where was Trayvon Martin killed?
(a) Sanford, Florida.
(b) Miami, Florida.
(c) Gainesville, Florida.
(d) Pensacola, Florida.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 6, the author writes, "He said, I don't know what the water wanted. It wanted to show you" what?
2. The author claims in Chapter 5, "Listen, you, I was creating a life study of" what?
3. What ocean does the author describe "breaking on our heads" in Chapter 5?
4. On what date did the center of Hurricane Katrina pass southeast of New Orleans, Louisiana?
5. Where is the author when she describes a man showing her a picture of his wife in Chapter 5?
This section contains 463 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)