|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author describe her new therapist specializing in, in Chapter 1?
(a) Family counseling.
(b) Marriage counseling.
(c) Trauma counseling.
(d) Anxiety disorders.
2. What does the author describe the man at the cash register asking her in Chapter 3?
(a) Whether she would like to pay by cash or credit.
(b) Whether she thinks her card will work.
(c) Whether she is a writer.
(d) Whether she will be dining in.
3. What does the girl behind the school girl ask her to do when they are taking exams in Chapter 1?
(a) To tell the teacher that she is going to be sick.
(b) To ask the teacher for a pencil.
(c) To go with her to the restroom.
(d) To lean to the right so she can copy her answers.
4. What does the author claim that moaning elicits in Chapter 4?
5. On what airline does the author describe sitting in a window seat in Chapter 1?
(a) Pan-Am Airlines.
(b) American Airlines.
(c) Delta Airlines.
(d) United Airlines.
6. What tennis tournament have the Williams sisters boycotted since 2001?
(a) The Miami Open.
(b) The ATP World Tour Finals.
(c) The Indian Wells Masters.
(d) The Madrid Open.
7. What phrase is repeated in the second of the prints that is displayed in Chapter 3?
(a) "Your memory, vessel of your feelings."
(b) "I feel most colored when I am thrown against a sharp white background."
(c) "A past stacked among your pillows."
(d) "The meaning of life."
8. The author describes Hennessy Youngman in Chapter 2, saying that "He advises black artists to cultivate" what?
(a) "An angry nigger exterior."
(b) "A beacon of yesterday."
(c) "A wider world-view."
(d) "An expression of desire."
9. What phrase is repeated in the first of the prints displayed in Chapter 3?
(a) "A past stacked among your pillows."
(b) "I do not always feel colored."
(c) "Get you to Heaven."
(d) "Your memory, vessel of your feelings."
10. What does the author describe the passenger in her car telling her in Chapter 1?
(a) "That his work was examining race in America."
(b) "He didn't care for his family or his friends."
(c) "That his wife is leaving him for the dean with whom she's been having an affair."
(d) "That his dean is making him hire a person of color when there are so many great writers out there."
11. What does the word "fabricate" mean in Chapter 4?
(a) To sew.
(b) To deplete.
(c) To deceive or lie.
(d) To conjure or invent.
12. Where does the author describe being when she confronts a man for calling a group of teenagers "niggers" in Chapter 1?
(c) Burger King.
13. What radio host is cited by the author in Chapter 3 for insulting a women's basketball team with racist slurs in Chapter 3?
(a) Alex Jones.
(b) Don Imus.
(c) Glenn Ligon.
(d) Howard Stern.
14. The author claims in Chapter 3 that "Language that feels hurtful is intended to exploit all the ways that you are" what?
15. What does the author describe her friend calling her because she is late in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(a) A "white woman."
(b) An "arrogant jerk."
(c) A "nappy-headed ho."
(d) A "sister."
Short Answer Questions
1. The author claims in Chapter 1, "A friend argues that Americans battle between the 'historical self' and" what?
2. Who is the teacher described in Chapter 1?
3. What is the name of Serena Williams's sister?
4. What word in Chapter 4 refers to a contemplative person?
5. How does the author respond when a friend says in Chapter 3, "You are always on sabbatical"?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)