|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What phrase is repeated in the first of the prints displayed in Chapter 3?
(a) "Get you to Heaven."
(b) "Your memory, vessel of your feelings."
(c) "I do not always feel colored."
(d) "A past stacked among your pillows."
2. In Chapter 3, the author writes, "A friend tells you he has seen a photograph of you on the Internet and he wants to know why you look so" what?
3. What word from Chapter 2 means ordinary or everyday?
4. What women's basketball team was insulted by the commentary of a radio host in 2007 during a discussion of the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship?
(a) The Yale University women's basketball team.
(b) The Rutgers University women's basketball team.
(c) The Harvard University women's basketball team.
(d) The Princeton University women's basketball team.
5. What does the author describe her new therapist specializing in, in Chapter 1?
(a) Family counseling.
(b) Marriage counseling.
(c) Anxiety disorders.
(d) Trauma counseling.
6. What word from Chapter 4 refers to a sentimental longing for the past?
7. In Chapter 3, the author writes, "Someone in the audience asks the man promoting his new book on humor what makes something funny. His answer is what you expect." What is the answer he gives?
8. Who wrote the following quotation that opens the book: "If they don't see happiness in the picture, at least they'll see the black"?
(a) Zora Neale Hurston.
(b) Glenn Ligon.
(c) Chris Marker.
(d) Sherman James.
9. What tennis tournament have the Williams sisters boycotted since 2001?
(a) The Madrid Open.
(b) The Miami Open.
(c) The ATP World Tour Finals.
(d) The Indian Wells Masters.
10. The author describes Hennessy Youngman in Chapter 2, saying that "He advises black artists to cultivate" what?
(a) "An angry nigger exterior."
(b) "A wider world-view."
(c) "A beacon of yesterday."
(d) "An expression of desire."
11. The author writes in Chapter 4 that the "sigh is the pathway to" what?
(c) "The self."
12. What does the world say about memory and the past, according to the author in Chapter 4?
(a) To analyze it.
(b) To question it.
(c) To forget it.
(d) To embrace it.
13. What tennis superstar expressed his shock that Serena Williams was able to hold it together after losing the semifinal match in the 2004 Women's U.S. Open?
(a) James Williams.
(b) Roger Federer.
(c) Andre Agassi.
(d) John McEnroe.
14. What does the girl behind the school girl ask her to do when they are taking exams in Chapter 1?
(a) To tell the teacher that she is going to be sick.
(b) To ask the teacher for a pencil.
(c) To lean to the right so she can copy her answers.
(d) To go with her to the restroom.
15. Who is the "distinguished tennis chair umpire" described in Chapter 2 as "the most notorious of Serena's detractors"?
(a) Mariana Alves.
(b) Chris Marker.
(c) Jayson Musson.
(d) Zora Neale Hurston.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author describe Serena Williams doing during the Women's U.S. Open final in Chapter 2?
2. What does the author claim the world says not to wear in the house in Chapter 4?
3. What does the real estate woman repeatedly say to the author's friend when she is showing the author her house in Chapter 3?
4. What is the name of the girl who sits behind the protagonist in the school room in Chapter 1?
5. The author writes in Chapter 3, "After considering Butler's remarks, you begin to understand yourself as rendered" what?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)