|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the word "fabricate" mean in Chapter 4?
(a) To sew.
(b) To deceive or lie.
(c) To conjure or invent.
(d) To deplete.
2. Where does the author describe rushing to meet a friend in the beginning of Chapter 3?
(d) Santa Monica.
3. What is the name of Hennessy Youngman's internet series that the author discusses in Chapter 2?
(a) "Web Rulez."
(b) "Life Rules."
(d) "Art Thoughtz."
4. What artist stenciled the line "I feel most colored when I am thrown against a sharp white background" on canvas, transforming the words into abstractions?
(a) Chris Marker.
(b) Jayson Musson.
(c) Sherman James.
(d) Glenn Ligon.
5. How old does the author describe the school girl in Chapter 1?
6. What does the author describe the passenger in her car telling her in Chapter 1?
(a) "He didn't care for his family or his friends."
(b) "That his wife is leaving him for the dean with whom she's been having an affair."
(c) "That his work was examining race in America."
(d) "That his dean is making him hire a person of color when there are so many great writers out there."
7. What tennis tournament have the Williams sisters boycotted since 2001?
(a) The ATP World Tour Finals.
(b) The Madrid Open.
(c) The Miami Open.
(d) The Indian Wells Masters.
8. The author concludes Chapter 3 by saying that what "shouldn't be an ambition"?
(a) "Reexamining history."
(b) "New paths to progress."
(c) "Just getting along."
9. Whom does the author cite with the quote in Chapter 2, "I feel most colored when I am thrown against a sharp white background"?
(a) Jayson Musson.
(b) Sherman James.
(c) Zora Neale Hurston.
(d) Chris Marker.
10. What word in Chapter 4 refers to a contemplative person?
11. Whom did Serena Williams play in her semifinal matchup in the 2004 Women's U.S. Open?
(a) Glenn Ligon.
(b) Venus Williams.
(c) Jennifer Capriati.
(d) Mariana Alves.
12. In Chapter 3, the author describes Judith Baker discussing what makes language hurtful. She writes that Baker's response is "We suffer from the condition of being" what?
13. The author claims in Chapter 3 that "Language that feels hurtful is intended to exploit all the ways that you are" what?
14. What is the name of Serena Williams's sister?
(a) Sarah Williams.
(b) Angela Williams.
(c) Marie Williams.
(d) Venus Williams.
15. The author writes in Chapter 4 that the "sigh is the pathway to" what?
(b) "The self."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the word "denigrate" mean in Chapter 3?
2. What women's basketball team was insulted by the commentary of a radio host in 2007 during a discussion of the NCAA Women's Basketball Championship?
3. Where does the school girl attend school in Chapter 1?
4. What does the author refer to "doubt" as in Chapter 1?
5. What word from Chapter 2 means ordinary or everyday?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)